Forum Home Forum Home >Topics not related to music >General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Phillip K Dick

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Phillip K Dick
    Posted: 15 Jan 2013 at 2:03pm
The topic is Phillip K Dick ... discuss!
idlero View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idlero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2013 at 2:14am
One of the best SF writers, haven't read much,only 'Do Androids dream....' and some short stories but some of the best SF movies are based on his stories.
I think the problem with a lot of the fusion music is that it's extremely predictable, it's a rock rhythm and the solos all play the same stuff and they play it over and over again ...
Ken Burns
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2013 at 4:33am
I used to read a lot of his books when I was younger. Almost all are good, and many are quite accurate in depicting our future.
Something very similar to on line "communities" are predicted in some of his books.
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
JMA Special Collaborator
JMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2013 at 10:36pm
I haven't read a sci-fi novel in years.  I know I've read one of his but I don't see any survivors and don't recall the title.  What one would I have been most likely to have read?  I looked at the list but nothing rang a bell.  Maybe a short story.

Edited by Slartibartfast - 16 Jan 2013 at 11:26pm
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2013 at 10:58pm
A lot of people know the movies that came from his books. "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep" became "Blade Runner" and there was also "Through a Scanner Darkly", there are more.
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2013 at 11:03pm
The way our forum is populated more with spambots than real humans is like something from a Phillip Dick book. Here we spent all this time putting together a jazz reference site and all we get is the random whirring and clicking of androids programmed to hawk cheap shoddy merchandise like a street corner pimp.
idlero View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idlero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2013 at 7:05am
among most successful PHK based movies: Paycheck, Total Recall, Minority Report, Adjustment Bureau
I think the problem with a lot of the fusion music is that it's extremely predictable, it's a rock rhythm and the solos all play the same stuff and they play it over and over again ...
Ken Burns
dreadpirateroberts View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2013 at 9:09pm
Love his short fiction too.

Do Androids Dream... is seminal in my opinion, so many fascinating concepts and the central struggle was great too.

The short story We Can Remember it for You Wholesale (Total Recall) is great too, it's a bit different and doesn't wrap up as neatly but still, you can see what great source material the filmmakers had ;)
We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
Reviews...
dreadpirateroberts View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2013 at 9:10pm
Originally posted by js js wrote:

The way our forum is populated more with spambots than real humans is like something from a Phillip Dick book. Here we spent all this time putting together a jazz reference site and all we get is the random whirring and clicking of androids programmed to hawk cheap shoddy merchandise like a street corner pimp.

Yes! Electronic kipple, it's a war!!!!

We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
Reviews...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic