0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
3 [13.04%]
6 [26.09%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peskypesky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2011 at 4:54pm
my God, those are some amazing albums. really wild that they all came out the same year. and very difficult to choose, but I have to go with "Kind Of Blue".
Prog Geo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog Geo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2011 at 4:55pm
Kind of blue! Classic album!
Krilons Resa View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krilons Resa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2011 at 4:57pm
Mingus Ah Um Beer
That shows you the power of music, that magician of magician, who lifts his wand, says his mysterious word and all things real pass away and the phantoms of your mind walk before you clothed in flesh.
triceratopsoil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2011 at 5:00pm
I finally ended up voting for Ah Um, just over Sketches and Time Out
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2011 at 8:11am
I went for Sketches, but the first three must be the toughest to sort out....

For Mingus, I much prefer Black saint to Ah Hum
Kazuhiro View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazuhiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2011 at 8:49am
This is my personal opinion. "Kind Of Blue" seems to be overvalued a little for me. This album might certainly be a very important album as the establishment of Modal Jazz. However, it is guessed that Miles Davis was judged the history and the situation of the Jazz and always evolved. It was felt that Kind Of Blue was the street point. I have not heard a wonderful opinion so much for the Kilimanjaro album though In The Sky and Silent Way are popular. I think that the Kilimanjaro album is very important in the process of going to the album in the 70's. And, Kind Of Blue is also similarly important. However, it is not felt so much that I am an album where it has the overwhelming might. Am I wrong?
triceratopsoil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2011 at 12:53pm
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

I went for Sketches, but the first three must be the toughest to sort out....

For Mingus, I much prefer Black saint to Ah Hum

That's because Black Saint is possibly the best jazz album ever.  Ah Um is still great, of course.
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2011 at 1:04pm
Originally posted by Kazuhiro Kazuhiro wrote:

This is my personal opinion. "Kind Of Blue" seems to be overvalued a little for me.

This album might certainly be a very important album as the establishment of Modal Jazz. However, it is guessed that Miles Davis was judged the history and the situation of the Jazz and always evolved. It was felt that Kind Of Blue was the street point.

I have not heard a wonderful opinion so much for the Kilimanjaro album though In The Sky and Silent Way are popular.

I think that the Kilimanjaro album is very important in the process of going to the album in the 70's. And, Kind Of Blue is also similarly important. However, it is not felt so much that I am an album where it has the overwhelming might.

Am I wrong?

You're not wrong. Though I agree Kind of Blue gets a little too much attention, and overshadows a lot of other classic Miles albums; unlike other overrated albums, I understand why it gets so much attention. I mean, I voted for it in this thread.

But I agree, Miles went on to do even better things in the 60s, like with the second great quintet, and later with  Miles In The Sky and Kilimanjaro, both are albums which eases right into his fusion period. But there is fantastic music on those 2 albums. I dont know which one is more important for his progression to the 70s albums, but they both played a part. By the time In A Silent Way came about, i think Miles was already deep in fusion mode, though still with the 60s "laid back" feel. It wasn't until Bitches Brew came that Miles was ready to really move forward, more than ever before.
dreadpirateroberts View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2011 at 7:47am
Sketches for me, KOB was tempting, as I am a big fan of it and Bill's piano, but 'Sketches' went beyond what I was expecting for Jazz (when I first heard it) and so I have to vote there
We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
Reviews...
MilesBeyond View Drop Down
JMA Jazz Reviewer
JMA Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MilesBeyond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2011 at 11:03am
Some fantastic albums up there, but I've got to throw my lot in with the masses and say Kind of Blue. Even of the ones on the list, it may not be my favourite album to listen to all of the time, but it's transcendental music and it's incredible importance to the future of jazz easily put it at the top.

For an album to grab the attention of both casual fans and die-hard elitists alike is incredibly rare, but Kind of Blue is one of those albums that someone who's never heard jazz before can dig on the first listen, whilst learned and professional musicians are still, over fifty years later, trying to unpack all its secrets.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2011 at 1:11pm
What a great year.  It's very close to me between The Shape of Jazz to Come, Mingus Ah Um, and Giant Steps, and I went with the Coleman -- a groundbreaking, I would say, album.

A couple of albums that I was expecting to see on the list are Sun Ra's Jazz in Silhouette --  I think it's a terrific album -- and the Art Blakey one from that year.
"Anyone can make the simple complicated. Creativity is making the complicated simple" (Charles Mingus).
Matt View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2011 at 2:15pm
Kind of Blue for me
Matt
Logan View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2011 at 1:01pm
I'm probably strange this way, but Kind of Blue, though I certainly like it, is one of my least favourite classic Miles Davis albums.  I much prefer Sketches of Spain off the list, though it was released in 1960 and recorded in 1959 and 1960, so I don't think I'd include it in the list. 

I think If I had to choose, my two favourite Davis years for his releases are 1967 and 1974 for Sorceror and Nefertiti and Big Fun and Get Up With it.
"Anyone can make the simple complicated. Creativity is making the complicated simple" (Charles Mingus).
darkprinceofjazz View Drop Down
JMA Jazz Reviewer
JMA Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkprinceofjazz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2011 at 7:33pm
Originally posted by idlero idlero wrote:

Miles Davis is still hard to digest for me, so I went for something easier-Time Out, it was one of the first albums that made me want to listen to jazz.
Mingus is very good too.
If Kind of Blue is hard to digest, I bet Bitches Brew might Kill you.
idlero View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idlero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2011 at 1:26am
Originally posted by darkprinceofjazz darkprinceofjazz wrote:

Miles Davis is still hard to digest for me, so I went for something easier-Time Out, it was one of the first albums that made me want to listen to jazz.
Mingus is very good too.
If Kind of Blue is hard to digest, I bet Bitches Brew might Kill you.

Don't bet , you'll lose, I like 'Bitches Brew' better
I think the problem with a lot of the fusion music is that it's extremely predictable, it's a rock rhythm and the solos all play the same stuff and they play it over and over again ...
Ken Burns
JMA Jazz Reviewer
JMA Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkprinceofjazz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2011 at 7:23am
As do I, I was struck by the hard to digest comment, I took that to mean is was a tough listen, or not accessible,  tastes vary I realize, but I always considered Kind of Blue to have a very contemporary vibe.

Edited by darkprinceofjazz - 25 Dec 2011 at 7:24am
idlero View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idlero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2011 at 8:40am
^ At first "Kind Of Blue" was really a tough listen , not anymore , but even now I don't enjoy listening to it( I never feel the urge to put it in the player and listen to it, I just do it as a mean of 'self training') while I enjoyed 'Bitches...' from 1st listen(even if it happened some 10 years( of jazz listening)  later).
I think the problem with a lot of the fusion music is that it's extremely predictable, it's a rock rhythm and the solos all play the same stuff and they play it over and over again ...
Ken Burns
JMA Jazz Reviewer
JMA Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkprinceofjazz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2011 at 10:26am

This is my personal opinion. "Kind Of Blue" seems to be overvalued a little for me. This album might certainly be a very important album as the establishment of Modal Jazz. However, it is guessed that Miles Davis was judged the history and the situation of the Jazz and always evolved. It was felt that Kind Of Blue was the street point. I have not heard a wonderful opinion so much for the Kilimanjaro album though In The Sky and Silent Way are popular. I think that the Kilimanjaro album is very important in the process of going to the album in the 70's. And, Kind Of Blue is also similarly important. However, it is not felt so much that I am an album where it has the overwhelming might. Am I wrong?
As opinions vary, and tastes even more so, Almost any time an album is so well loved and hyped, there will be some cynicism, I think you must put the album in context, the time in which it was released, Personally I find Kind of Blue to be one of the few that lives up to the hype, I am biased because this was the first Modern Jazz album I listened to, and I was captivated by it, to the point that I had to investigate more of Davis and Jazz in general, I still return to Kind of Blue quite often,  And still feel it demands repeated listens. I think when you consider Coltrane, Adderley, Evans, and Chambers along with Davis it add to the Mystique, Doesn't hurt that its has sold more copies than any other True Modern Jazz album in History, Reportedly well over 5 Million  So my own opinion is it has not been over valued in any way,  But to some it may be, It just wasn't meant for you. nothing wrong with that.

Edited by darkprinceofjazz - 25 Dec 2011 at 10:27am
Kazuhiro View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazuhiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2011 at 7:06pm
Originally posted by darkprinceofjazz darkprinceofjazz wrote:

As opinions vary, and tastes even more so, Almost any time an album is so well loved and hyped, there will be some cynicism, I think you must put the album in context, the time in which it was released, Personally I find Kind of Blue to be one of the few that lives up to the hype, I am biased because this was the first Modern Jazz album I listened to, and I was captivated by it, to the point that I had to investigate more of Davis and Jazz in general, I still return to Kind of Blue quite often,  And still feel it demands repeated listens. I think when you consider Coltrane, Adderley, Evans, and Chambers along with Davis it add to the Mystique, Doesn't hurt that its has sold more copies than any other True Modern Jazz album in History, Reportedly well over 5 Million  So my own opinion is it has not been over valued in any way,  But to some it may be, It just wasn't meant for you. nothing wrong with that.
Of course I thought that the opinion varied. The jazz of this time still had a big demand for entertainment for at least Japan. Probably the mode jazz and the free jazz were for a fan of the jazz. Of course I was going to say that "KOB" was the album which was very important to jazz and Miles Davis. And "KOB" might have become the turning point for jazz and Miles Davis. This is because it felt that I called this album overestimate when there is the part of the passage point in a trip of the music of Miles Davis. In any case it is certain that "KOB" is a splendid album.
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2011 at 4:32am

^ At first "Kind Of Blue" was really a tough listen , not anymore , but even now I don't enjoy listening to it( I never feel the urge to put it in the player and listen to it, I just do it as a mean of 'self training') while I enjoyed 'Bitches...' from 1st listen(even if it happened some 10 years( of jazz listening)  later).

I kind of agree with you

While for most mainstream music fans, the gentle almost uncommiting KOB would be easier to get into than the almost-obtuse BB...

BUT.... for experimented music fans (like most of us progheads), BB is the easier one to like instantanly (was my case), while KOB might just be an acquired taste... I certainly had to wait a few years to dig it..... SOS was a much more direct hit for me.

Edited by Sean Trane - 26 Dec 2011 at 4:34am
my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicted musicians to crazy ones....

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic