JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Jazz Music Lounges >Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Your favorite of the innovators

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: Of these innovators, who is your favorite?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
0 [0.00%]
1 [6.67%]
2 [13.33%]
8 [53.33%]
2 [13.33%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [6.67%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [6.67%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Your favorite of the innovators
    Posted: 04 Jan 2013 at 10:02am
This is not an exhaustive list of every great saxophone player, but rather a semi-chronological list of the saxophone players who broke new ground for others to follow.

Don't pick the most technical or historically important, but pick the one you enjoy listening to the most.
snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2013 at 10:55am
Albert Ayler for me -  still first with Dolphy right after
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2013 at 11:07am
There are a lot of personal favorites for me up there, Shorter, Dolphy, Hawkins, just about all of them really, but lately I have been really enjoying Lester Young, although for now, I have very few of his recordings.
idlero View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idlero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2013 at 1:32am
JC for me
I think the problem with a lot of the fusion music is that it's extremely predictable, it's a rock rhythm and the solos all play the same stuff and they play it over and over again ...
Ken Burns
dreadpirateroberts View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2013 at 1:55am
Same, it seems an obvious choice, but JC.
I do love Pharoh & Wayne too - unsurprising, maybe? Both being disciples/followers and all.
We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
Reviews...
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2013 at 3:19am
There is a bunch of followers in that list...So ideally the innovators should be the earlier ones... (not very familiar with Coleman Hawkins and Lester Young, but I know he precedes all the others on the list... )

So between Ornette, Bird  and Trane, my fave is easily Trane... but he was the later one to "pierce" as an innovator

I view him as innovating when he started dipping in modal jazz, which means at the earliest in My Fave Things (so 1960)...

my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicted musicians to crazy ones....

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2013 at 3:20am
Kind of surprised Sun Ra is not in that list, though...
my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicted musicians to crazy ones....

js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2013 at 6:09am
  Sax man
Kazuhiro View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazuhiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2013 at 7:19am
As for the list, each personality seems to equal it. Of course by a part and activity innovative. I go to Shorter if I think at a favorite point. And it is hard to throw away Ornette Coleman, too.

Even Jan Garbarek seems to be in the list if I think simply at an innovative point.
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2013 at 1:08pm
Yes, Garbarek could be seen as the leader in the new "cool" post-fusion sound.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2013 at 4:36pm
Originally posted by js js wrote:

Sax man

of course... how dumb of me... sorry EmbarrassedWink!!!

if it says so in the OP, it didn't mention it in the title... (that's my alibi!!!LOL)

Cannonball With Hat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cannonball With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2013 at 6:59pm
For me it's between Coltrane and Coleman. But it'sd hard for me to vote against 'Trane...
Hit it on Five.

Saxophone Scatterbrain Blitzberg

Stab them in the ears.
Abraxas View Drop Down
JMA Collaborator
JMA Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abraxas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2013 at 10:08pm
Got to admit that I don't know the first three well enough as I'd like to.

Still, sorry for being obvious, but it has to be Trane for me. He's just the most inspirational sax playing and compositions I've ever heard, so impressive.

Coleman I like him more as an "idealist"/composer rather than for his sax playing. 

Sanders is just Supreme, he really "evolved" Trane's style into something even more greater at times. But, his compositions, as much as I love them for their repetition and world influence, he never did those freaking great swinging hard bop numbers Trane did.

Shorter is Shorter, untouchable, simply I don't like him better than the above. 
geneyesontle View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geneyesontle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2013 at 6:14pm
Coltrane is unbeatable.

Edited by geneyesontle - 12 Jan 2013 at 6:14pm
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2013 at 11:41am
Trane
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic