JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Jazz Music Lounges >Jazz Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The CTI Stable

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The CTI Stable
    Posted: 27 Nov 2012 at 5:03pm
Just opening a place for questions, comments, recommendations for/about CTI releases.

In short, CTI was a very popular label in the 70s and one which rode the blossoming fusion scene to significant success. Often CTI LPs were a little 'smoother' perhaps than other fusion releases but founder Taylor and his team had a pretty great roster of artists, both leaders & sidemen to drawn on for some superb albums.

We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
Reviews...
Kazuhiro View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazuhiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2012 at 6:33pm
I always like listening to the album of an announced musician from CTI. When a musician announces the album from CTI. It has charms that other labels do not have. pop Jazz may be most, but, as for the genre, the contents are of high quality. And the overuse of the strings section acts for arrangement with a musician well, too.
Kazuhiro View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazuhiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2012 at 6:50pm
OK. Freddie Hubbard and Hubert Laws. Or somebody may give an opinion about Joe Farrell. In any case I put an opportunity here.

js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2012 at 9:11pm
I like the early CTI/Creed Taylor records with their excellent sound production and big gatefold albums, but later in his career Taylor became influential in a lot of good musicians going commercial.
snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2012 at 11:57am
CTI released some unusual (for them) albums, like this one (not many to be honest):

Edited by snobb - 29 Nov 2012 at 11:58am
Kazuhiro View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazuhiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2012 at 8:41pm
Originally posted by snobb snobb wrote:

CTI released some unusual (for them) albums, like this one (not many to be honest):

Talk about this album. I was a huge fan of AH,  but I did not like this album very much. As for himself, the production of this album would be really sorry. Furthermore, SG of Gibson company which came up for this album art seemed to be stolen in those days. He seemed to be really unfortunate in those days.Stern Smile

However, the fan may enjoy this album because a melody and the idea that AH does in spite of CTI are recorded in chronological order.
The details are these.

Kinder - Fred (Tony Williams LT)

Velvet Darkness - Shadows Of (Gong) - Golden Lakes (Igginbottom's Wrench)

Wish - The Things You See (AH 1st solo)
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2012 at 4:11am
I've reviewed a fair bit of CTI releases (and its Kudu sub-label)  for JMA, and to be honest, There are few albums that find a spot in my top 300 albums (except for maybe Szabo's Macho or Deodato's Prelude)...... even the Freddie Hubbard albums are somewhat of a mix bag

While I enjoy the sporadic moments of brilliance in some albums (beit Benson, Grover, etc...), the label's catalogue sort of announces  the future Soft Jazz to come ... Not to mention I always wondered what Esther Phillips was doing on that label...

my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicted musicians to crazy ones....

dreadpirateroberts View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2012 at 10:30pm
Today I'm tired and slow, so I just wanted to say I'm enjoying the discussion and clips, nice work, keep it coming!

Here's one of my all time favourite CTI pieces - an obvious but classic one

Reviews...
dreadpirateroberts View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2012 at 4:56am
And another fav album - though I wanted teh title track, Dance is still nice too

Edited by dreadpirateroberts - 10 Dec 2012 at 4:58am
Reviews...
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
JMA Special Collaborator
JMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2012 at 5:22pm
Originally posted by Kazuhiro Kazuhiro wrote:

Originally posted by snobb snobb wrote:

Talk about this album. I was a huge fan of AH,  but I did not like this album very much. As for himself, the production of this album would be really sorry. Furthermore, SG of Gibson company which came up for this album art seemed to be stolen in those days. He seemed to be really unfortunate in those days.Stern Smile

However, the fan may enjoy this album because a melody and the idea that AH does in spite of CTI are recorded in chronological order.
The details are these.

Kinder - Fred (Tony Williams LT)

Velvet Darkness - Shadows Of (Gong) - Golden Lakes (Igginbottom's Wrench)

Wish - The Things You See (AH 1st solo)

Allan Holdsworth is on record as not liking this record.  I like the music despite whatever the flaws.   The cover has a nice pic of the twin towers RIP.  I visited in winter of '99.

Edited by Slartibartfast - 10 Dec 2012 at 5:23pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic