JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Jazz Music Lounges >Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Two Davis Albums

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: Get Up With It or Big Fun?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
8 [50.00%]
8 [50.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Truth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Two Davis Albums
    Posted: 11 Apr 2011 at 5:59pm
My two favorite Miles Davis albums, both pretty shot down by critics and very funky and psychedelic. Heck, there's not even a trumpet on the first track of Get Up With It and it's great. So what's your fav? Mine is probably Big Fun but I love both practically to death.
triceratopsoil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2011 at 6:04pm
By far my fave two Davis albums.  I think I'll go with Get Up With It, but only on a whim.
Abraxas View Drop Down
JMA Collaborator
JMA Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abraxas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2011 at 7:13pm
My fave electric-era Davis album is, unquestionably, In a Silent Way.

These two need a lot more listens from me, but in the last couple of weeks I've been listening every night to either Big Fun and Get Up With It, in general, so they're growing on me.

The one that more appeals to me, so far, is Big Fun. Get Up With It has some fantastic moments, I think that line-up did better live. 
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2011 at 7:23pm
Two great albums, but Big Fun wins it for me
harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harmonium.ro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2011 at 9:29pm
I haven't heard any, must repair this. 
triceratopsoil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2011 at 9:32pm
Originally posted by harmonium.ro harmonium.ro wrote:

I haven't heard any, must repair this. 

yes, yes you must
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2011 at 9:46pm
'Get up with it' is just incredible, so are the tracks 'Great Expectations' and  'Go ahead John' from 'Big Fun', some of the other tracks from 'Big Fun' are just your standard Bitches Brew jam session.
The Truth View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Truth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2011 at 10:22pm
GET IT DONE ALEX
Pekka View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pekka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2011 at 11:01pm
I prefer Get Up with It, but Big Fun has its moments as well. I should listen to that one more.
Cannonball With Hat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cannonball With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2011 at 3:32am
Get Up With It
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2011 at 10:59am
Originally posted by js js wrote:

'Get up with it' is just incredible, so are the tracks 'Great Expectations' and  'Go ahead John' from 'Big Fun', some of the other tracks from 'Big Fun' are just your standard Bitches Brew jam session.

How about the Big Fun version of "Ife", with Billy Cobham changing the downbeat like 5 times during the song. Fast and funkaaay
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2011 at 11:02am
^ I was a little harsh,  Embarrassed     ...its all good music.
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2011 at 11:07am
this is true Hug
harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harmonium.ro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2011 at 1:43pm
"Standard Bitches Brew jam session" is a pretty high standard by any means LOL
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2011 at 2:50pm
Yeah, actually it sounds like a compliment.
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2011 at 2:59pm
Sometimes I think Big Fun is better than Bitches Brew. The atmosphere is more to my liking, with the Indian influences and such
Abraxas View Drop Down
JMA Collaborator
JMA Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abraxas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2011 at 3:47pm
Originally posted by darkshade darkshade wrote:

Sometimes I think Big Fun is better than Bitches Brew. The atmosphere is more to my liking, with the Indian influences and such

Yep same here.

Especially now I think that, since last night I listened to Disc 1 of Big Fun (and Disc 2 of Get Up With It). 

STILL!! More and more listens needed, these need like 30 or so listens to finally start getting the whole picture, lol. 
Hence why my favorite is In a Silent Way, I've listened to that more than 100 times. 
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2011 at 12:39am
^ yea almost all Davis albums take multiple listens to appreciate (even though most of them sound awesome on the first listens)

All these Miles Davis threads may throw me into Miles mode. Ive been putting off his music for too long. Particularly his post-67 work. Ive only listened to his pre-fusion stuff if I wanted some Miles.

I used to listen to his 70s work alllllll the time. Big Fun was one of the ones I listened to most. They're all great though
The Truth View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Truth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2011 at 9:18am
Go Ahead John is probably my favorite jazz track ever. Just thought I'd put that out there.
akaBona View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akaBona Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2011 at 12:18pm
Get Up With It..
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic