JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Jazz Music Lounges >Jazz Music Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Album Discussion: RTF - "Light As A Feather"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazuhiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2012 at 7:00pm
I remember that KOB told you to be a passage point for Miles. However, it is famous that this album was generally established as modal jazz. In any case Miles would have clairvoyance. And, in the Miles group, time was necessary for the fixation of the sax player until Wayne Shorter participated.
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2012 at 11:30am
Next up is: Jeff Beck - "Wired"

In my opinion, the better album between this and Blow By Blow, which is more popular. Jan Hammer is all over this album, with his trademark 70s synth sounds, and great fusion Rhoades piano playing. This album is jazzier, I think, than Blow By Blow, which is funkier. Even the cover of the Mingus tune "Goodbye Pork Pie Hat" is quite exceptional.
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2012 at 11:41am
Yeah, that was a fun album, I used to listen to it a lot. Its got more energy than "Blow by Blow", which is a little more soulful.
Abraxas View Drop Down
JMA Collaborator
JMA Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abraxas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2012 at 1:38pm
I think I prefer Blow by Blow, as a whole. I think that all the tunes in there are memorable, while Wired some stuff is rather forgetful. In Blow by Blow the funk groove is everywhere and Jeff is always leading with original guitar.

Still, yeah, the cover of Goodbye Pork Pie Hat is really good.
I just think that Jan Hammer wasn't a really good choice for keyboards, Max Middleton's, on other hand, offered really funky clavinet and Rhodes, while Hammer has his particular synths that don't suit for me with Jeff's music.

Edited by Abraxas - 05 Oct 2012 at 1:44pm
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2012 at 8:06am
Originally posted by js js wrote:

Yeah, that was a fun album, I used to listen to it a lot. Its got more energy than "Blow by Blow", which is a little more soulful.

Yes in both your assertions, yet I find that its main flaw is that it's a typical studio album riddled with dubs and overdubs... I much prefer Live With The Jan Hammer group

Originally posted by Abraxas Abraxas wrote:

I just think that Jan Hammer wasn't a really good choice for keyboards, Max Middleton's, on other hand, offered really funky clavinet and Rhodes, while Hammer has his particular synths that don't suit for me with Jeff's music.

Middleton worked with Beck in the  earlier 70's (71-74), where the keyboards srtill had that "good ol' vintage" sound we all love...

Hammer occupied Beck's kb stool in the later 70's with a very different set of synths, that simply do not please me as much as the previous generation... But it's not just Hammer that was prone to that... Zawie, Chick and many others used the uptodate KB in those years...

Edited by Sean Trane - 06 Oct 2012 at 8:12am
my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicted musicians to crazy ones....

Abraxas View Drop Down
JMA Collaborator
JMA Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abraxas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2012 at 5:18pm
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Originally posted by Abraxas Abraxas wrote:

Middleton worked with Beck in the  earlier 70's (71-74), where the keyboards srtill had that "good ol' vintage" sound we all love...

Hammer occupied Beck's kb stool in the later 70's with a very different set of synths, that simply do not please me as much as the previous generation... But it's not just Hammer that was prone to that... Zawie, Chick and many others used the uptodate KB in those years...

Yep, you're right. But I think Zawinul was a master of all types of synths, he's the exception.
Kazuhiro View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazuhiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2012 at 10:02pm

If there was not Max Middleton, "Blow By Blow" would not be established. Arrangement in Scatterbrain and Diamonddust. However, Wired would establish the course that Jeff Beck had good as an instrumental album surely. Of course it is a well-known fact that the indirect reason why Jeff Beck established such directionality and thought included the existence of the Billy Cobham solo album.

However, the album of the 70s when Jeff Beck did it has a feeling divided once in Wired. Wired is almost 5stars for me as a personal opinion. I in particular love "Sophie" and "Play With Me".

darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2012 at 2:57pm
Next up, Miles Davis' "Birth of the Cool"

A seminal jazz album, recorded in 1949, but not released until around 1957. This was the true beginning of modern jazz as far as I'm concerned, and a reaction against the bebop sound of the 40s, which was the link between swing and modern jazz from the 50s onward. Tunes like "Moon Dreams" were so revolutionary at the time, almost nothing like it had come before, and the laid back feeling of most of the other tunes was also something not heard much in the world of jazz.
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2012 at 4:14pm
I like this album very much, I never get tired of hearing it because I always hear something different.
BlueNote View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlueNote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2012 at 5:22pm
I use the first track, Move, as a wake-up song. It works great :)
We lay on our backs, looking at the ceiling and wondering what God had wrought when He made life so sad.
- Jean-Louis Lebris de Kerouac
Kazuhiro View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazuhiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2012 at 6:58pm
The album which is necessary to talk about cool jazz. The member who carried it out. The thing that the contribution of Gil Evans is not yet big, but is good for both sides.
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2013 at 4:02pm
Sorry I haven't been really been keeping up with this series (do most of you care anyway? Tongue I'll keep it going though, even though I expected a lot more discussion on Birth of the Cool; maybe it's been talked about enough?)

Anyway, next album up is Return To Forever - "Light As A Feather"

In my opinion, this album is one of the best examples of really great Rhodes piano from the 1970s. There's something deep and percussive about Chick's tone here. He never got that sound quite right ever again, at least as far as the Rhodes piano. Some nice mix of jazz and Latin rhythms, similar to the previous album if you consider this RTF's second album (I do). Some female vocals on a few of the tunes, and while it took me some time to get over them when I was new to this album, they don't really detract from the overall experience, as the mood of the album is calm and introspective, but light cheery, like listening to this on a warm, sunny Spring day with not a cloud in the sky, in the middle of a beautiful field surrounded by trees. Classic Chick Corea tunes like Spain, 500 Miles High, and Captain Marvel, which later incarnations of the band would play live, are on this album. Never knew why I liked this one more than "Return To Forever" the album, but I do.
Abraxas View Drop Down
JMA Collaborator
JMA Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abraxas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2013 at 4:18pm
I agree, that album is all about the Rhodes, brilliant sound and playing, lovely melodies. Although I do think that the album gets rather repetitious, it's a real pleasure to hear Flora's voice and Chick's already stated brilliancy.
snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2013 at 4:21pm
I really like this album as well, but "Return To Forever" sounds as original one for me, "Light As A Feather" is more a successful copy. These two albums are absolute peak of all RTF project for me (and probably best or between few best Corea's albums ever). 

Some classic compositions were played later million times by Corea himself and some other collaborators (500 Miles High after few years was recorded by Flora Purim on her solo album), but never sounded better or even so good as here.

Edited by snobb - 05 Feb 2013 at 12:36am
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2013 at 4:48pm
I like this album, one of the earlier jazz albums I ever owned, but i have always liked the first RTF the best.
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2013 at 8:39am
Originally posted by snobb snobb wrote:

I really like this album as well, but "Return To Forever" sounds as original one for me, "Light As A Feather" is more a successful copy. These two albums are absolute peak of all RTF project for me (and probably best or between few best Corea's albums ever). 

Some classic compositions were played later million times by Corea himself and some other collaborators (500 Miles High after few years was recorded by Flora Purim on her solo album), but never sounded better or even so good as here.
I also prefer the ECM "debut" better than this one...
Not keen of pîurim's vocals on other albums, but she's almost OK here..

I always liked Farrell's presence on these two albums, a,nd can only cry that he wasn't around for Hymn or Warrior... alas, when he returned in 77, RTF's good pêriod was just over (atricious MM album)
my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicted musicians to crazy ones....

Abraxas View Drop Down
JMA Collaborator
JMA Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abraxas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2013 at 11:23am
^MusicMagic isn't really that bad, in my opinion. It's a weird mix of what RtF had done plus Corea's classical leanings, it's not essential, but some tunes I find them pretty fine.
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2013 at 12:45pm
I've never heard MusicMagic before. So many bad reviews for it put me off, so I never tried. It's on Spotify, so I guess I have no excuse now...

Light As A Feather is just a warm album. The debut sounds a little cold to me. Still awesome, and progressive in how it fuses jazz-rock with latin jazz.
snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2013 at 2:04pm
Probably everyone heard negative opinions about Music Magic  still before he heard album itself  LOL

For me it's not so bad album - more collection of quite nice and faceless songs all in one 
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2013 at 4:25pm
The album was not my favorite, but the tour concert in support of the album was excellent.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic