Poll Question: Choose a fav cool jazz album
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
4 [80.00%]
1 [20.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cool Jazz Head to Head - Bill vs Dave
    Posted: 11 Aug 2012 at 12:42am
Here's a poll that I expect Dave to win, which is certainly ok, but I'd also like to hear any cool jazz pairings you think would be close?

There's a few Bill Evans albums I prefer to Waltz..., but I wanted to put one of his biggest up against Time Out

Edited by dreadpirateroberts - 11 Aug 2012 at 2:31am
We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
Reviews...
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2012 at 2:25am
Bill Evans will always top Brubek in my book, two different worlds.
dreadpirateroberts View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2012 at 7:24am
^ very, very different players huh?   It's easy to think of Bill as similar to an Impressionist painter or a Romantic composer, whereas Dave seems to have composed more instantly recognisable pieces across his career perhaps

Maybe this is a tougher match up than I thought, pitting a live trio album against a studio quartet release, but then, that shouldn't matter really. A good album is a good album. Smile

Reviews...
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2012 at 1:07pm
Brubek is a great player, but Evans gets inside of tunes and takes them apart. He makes it sound pretty, but Evans is a deconstructionist. At least thats how I hear it, but I'm hardly an "expert" on either.
idlero View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idlero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2012 at 10:20am
I prefer 'TIme Out' to 'Waltz...', but taking into account other albums too , Bill Evans is the winner for me
I think the problem with a lot of the fusion music is that it's extremely predictable, it's a rock rhythm and the solos all play the same stuff and they play it over and over again ...
Ken Burns
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2012 at 6:17pm
From what I know of Cool Jazz (not pretending to be an expert), Time Out doesn't sound much like it (except maybe for Desmond's soft sax).... The tricky time sigs of Take Five or Blue Rondo and others are not CJ, IMHO

Maybe because he (Brubeck) was from the west coast, (and most of these jazzers were lumped in CJ), but TO is neither CJ nor is it bop... it's kind of unclassifiable

Edited by Sean Trane - 13 Aug 2012 at 6:18pm
my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicted musicians to crazy ones....

dreadpirateroberts View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2012 at 7:25pm
^ I agree, it's a stand out album that stradles boundaries so very well, but I'd also suggest that there's nothing to say Cool Jazz can't be sophisticated, huh?
Reviews...
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2012 at 8:44pm
Brubek himself is a bit of a mixed bag, sort of his own thing, but Morello and Desmond were the essence of cool jazz, particularly Desmond.
Cool jazz was just a reaction to the "hot" jazz of Bop. Parker and Gillespie had taken Bop to such extremes that people couldn't really keep up anymore, hence the more relaxed sounds of cool jazz. Certain types of almost 3rd stream type sophistications were also part of the cool scene, a certain chamber music effect.
Not all cool players were on the west coast though, one of my favorites, George Shearing, was from the UK.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic