JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Jazz Music Lounges >Jazz Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Front page videos & new artist additions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Front page videos & new artist additions
    Posted: 08 Aug 2012 at 5:34am
Usually when we add a new artist, we'll put up a video or two to go with that artist and those videos will show on the front page for a while until new ones push them off.

Edited by js - 10 Jan 2013 at 10:08pm
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2012 at 5:38am
Fletcher Henderson's "Whiteman Stomp" is considered one of the first "AG" arrangements in jazz. Its bizarre constantly changing structure is actually similar to early 70s prog rock. The arrangement is by Don Redman.
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2012 at 5:42am
Yochanan was a bizarre outsider blues artist in Chicago who was backed and recorded by Sun Ra and his band back when Ra worked as an all-around music hustler/producer. His rendition of "Hot Skillet Mama" is hilarious. 
Did you know that back then, Ra used to back Johnny Guitar Watson too. What a show that would have been.

Edited by js - 08 Aug 2012 at 5:43am
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2012 at 10:30pm
Johnny Guitar Watson's music is far away from what Sun Ra's music is like. I could just imagine what it must have been like.
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2012 at 11:05pm
In his early days Sun Ra was a professional arranger, producer, leader of backing bands etc, his approach to backing guys like Watson and other blues/RnB performers was more or less straight ahead with some quirkiness around the edges, but given Watson's own tendency towards oddball humor, I would imagine those two working together was anything but business as usual.

Edited by js - 08 Aug 2012 at 11:06pm
Kazuhiro View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazuhiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2012 at 8:28pm
I enjoyed "Out to Lunch". Bobby Hutcherson really makes a good atmosphere with this album. And flexibility and the power of expression that a rhythm section has. It is contribution by Tony Williams. A splendid album.
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2012 at 8:35pm
Thats a real good recording too, I'm trying to search for the videos that have the best sound quality.
dreadpirateroberts View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2012 at 6:36am
I think it slipped off the front now but before Blue Train was up and it's one of my favourite Coltrane pieces (love the solo too) 
We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
Reviews...
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2012 at 6:39am
I put a cut from "Strange" up there, you expressed intreest in the review.
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2012 at 6:43am
^ fantastic, will check it out right now

Awesome, I really like this, bumping it up in my list of 'albums to by'  - I like the mix of the 'jungle' feel and the strings, well, all of it actually

Edited by dreadpirateroberts - 03 Sep 2012 at 6:46am
Reviews...
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2012 at 7:20am
^ Julien is a member of this site, he sent me that CD.
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2012 at 11:04am
The new Ryan Truesdell album consists of recently discovered scores by Gil Evans. This is really big news. Evans was one of the coolest beatniks ever and his gift with orchestration was superb, rating right up there with the Duke when it comes to being able to fine tune a large ensemble.
Check out the video and enjoy. Sax man
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2012 at 3:46am
Fans of early 70s psychedelic jazz will want to check out Albert Dailey's "Free Me", it sounds like no one else.
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2012 at 8:49am
Lots of great stuff mentioned here, John - I'm looking forward to checking it out (next week when I get a sec)
Reviews...
Kazuhiro View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazuhiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2012 at 9:44pm
Our site added a musician in a section of some pop jazz recently. I do not know whether they are called as smooth jazz. However, I like such a music. Probably it is elevator music. Or a nu adult contemporary may be often recognized as a genre. I felt that the name to be called smooth jazz should not be proposed widely. In any case I really check even such a music.
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2012 at 9:57pm
Sometimes I like the pop jazz too, especially from the 60s and early 70s.
Smooth jazz goes through changes like any other style and today's pop jazz has more of a RnB sound  that is influenced by acid jazz. Today's sound is sort of smooth acid jazz, and it sounds a lot better than the pop jazz of the last couple decades.

Kazuhiro View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazuhiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2012 at 10:10pm
Yes. I notice that recent pop jazz is refined including arrangement of the rhythm very much. It may be boring for a pure jazz listener. However, I thought that music of high quality appeared necessarily when a musician was able.
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2013 at 10:32am
Those who are interested in the roots of rap should check out the video for Babs Gonzales ("House Rent Party"). If it is no longer on the front page, just check his artist profile, funny stuff.

Edited by js - 09 Jan 2013 at 11:24pm
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2013 at 11:48am
Fans of Pat Methaney and John Abercrombie may want to check out Mick Goodrick.
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2013 at 6:47pm
Fans of Pharoh Sanders, Carlos Santana, Alice Coltrane and Lonnie Liston Smith may want to check out Barry Greenwich.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic