JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements >Suggest new bands/artists to JMA
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Esther Phillips

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Esther Phillips
    Posted: 08 Jul 2012 at 5:29pm
Hi, a suggestion for Esther or Little Esther as she was known in the early 50's. Worked with the Johnny Otis orchestra in the early fifties. Drugs stuffed her up and she disappeared for years and in 1962 Kenny Rogers (yeah the country one) revived her career which lead her to Atlantic records after a short hiatus at Lenox. "Release Me " was the song that was the first hit in her careers 2nd stage. The Jazz mainly lays with this work period for her. The first two Atlantic albums "Esther" and "I Love Him" are good pointers. The song "Try Me" has King Curtis with her. Oliver Nelson was one of the producers for "Esther". The early stuff with Johnny Otis was all the Blues songs jazzed up. "Double Crossing Blues", "Mistrusting Blues",Cupid Blues:, "Misery" etc. Early seventies she went full on R&B with album after album on Kudu mainly. "From A Whisper To A Scream" with "Home Is Where The Hatred Is" ( Gil Scot Heron comp.) is the biggie.  Yeah disco had started but she did keep the Soul component within.
Matt
Rokukai View Drop Down
JMA Jazz Reviewer
JMA Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rokukai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2012 at 9:18pm
great call

she had an awesome voice
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2012 at 11:03pm
Thanks, we're working on it.
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2012 at 5:09am
Her albums are being added, let me know if anything is missing, or if any tags are wrong. One of her country albums was more pop, the other was blues, especially in her singing.
dreadpirateroberts View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2012 at 7:15am
Hey Matt, was it Esther that you showed me doing a Gil Scott-Heron cover a while back?
Or did I imagine it, was it someone else by chance?
We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
Reviews...
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2012 at 7:41am
Esther does a great cover of "Home is where the Hatred is", a tale of narcotic use.
dreadpirateroberts View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2012 at 7:44am
Originally posted by js js wrote:

Esther does a great cover of "Home is where the Hatred is", a tale of narcotic use.

Excellent, thanks John - I thought it was her. Matt put a video up somewhere, I'll find it now I reckon - I remember it being great.

Love that album of his, wish I could find a reasonably-priced copy of his first - the spoken one. I haven't checked for a while but
We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
Reviews...
snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2012 at 12:31pm
Added
Matt View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2012 at 2:55pm

Awesome Cool

Matt
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic