1 [16.67%]
1 [16.67%]
1 [16.67%]
1 [16.67%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help Me Choose the 3 Best Albums.
    Posted: 06 Jul 2012 at 1:31pm
I haven't bought a lot of CDs this year, compared to previous years, and I've built up a list of albums I've been meaning to pick up. I plan on buying at least 3 albums, maybe more depending on price, but I wanted to see which albums you think I should get. I have a similar poll at PA, but this one is focused on the jazz albums I'm looking to get, since more comments have been prog-related over there.

Vote your favorite off this list, but mention at least one or two more albums since I'll be getting a few albums.

Edited by darkshade - 06 Jul 2012 at 1:32pm
snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2012 at 2:00pm
Voted for Holland's debut - probably his best ever (avantgarde jazz) album. Not an easy listening, but interesting - and cult one Wink. I am a big Soft Machine's fan but "Seven" is far not their best album (and even not better than their average one). In fact "Seven" is quality faceless fusion album, Softs heavy fans will probably love it, but comparing with two first or two second their albums, this one is .. just a product of different team. From core-members only Ratledge is on board (and he uses synths for a first time in Softs history).. Fresh RTF live album with new guitarist (Gambale) is surprisingly strong - same compositions, it looks you heard all that millions of times, but old music sounds surprisingly fresh, muscular and ... funky. 

James Farm - quality album, but probably not my cup of tea, didn't catch me at all. Never heard Planeta Imaginario Shocked
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2012 at 2:16pm
Conference of the Birds is a very good album, but it is in the AG realm, if that is what you are looking for.

I thought James Farm was a good album, it has a bit of that "contemporary" sound, but its way more interesting than another generic contemporary album.

Abraxas View Drop Down
JMA Collaborator
JMA Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abraxas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2012 at 3:25pm
I only know Seven and Holland's, so no vote.

But got to say, Seven is one of my fave Soft Machine albums. If you like The Soft Weed Factor from Six, I mean, if you love that type of minimalistic jazzy compositions, Seven is two sides of it with great playing, and every now and then some funky bits.

Dave Holland's album is a very strong album that should be listened by all post bop/avant garde jazz fans. Sam Rivers on sax, if I'm not mistaken, a beast.
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2012 at 4:35pm
As far as Soft Machine goes, I have Third and Fourth. Third is great early 70s fusion, long jams, etc. I haven't been able to crack the nut that is Fourth, it sounded very abrasive to me. I'll give it another shot one day. I wanted to check out another SM album, and I know Ive heard the first track of Seven and thought "oh they did this kind of fusion too" So I was curious to hear how they sounded there. It seems it's not the most liked album, but my fusion tolerance is very low, as I like most kinds, so I think I would enjoy Seven; Pablo likes it, and he has similar tastes as me...
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2012 at 4:38pm
The Dave Holland album has been one that I've kept my eye on for some time, and it's seen as a classic album, so I will be getting this no matter what the poll results are. I'm also more than likely picking up the RTF album eventually, though I'm in no rush. My local shop has the 2CD + DVD set for $16!
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2012 at 5:08pm
Originally posted by Abraxas Abraxas wrote:

I only know Seven and Holland's, so no vote.

But got to say, Seven is one of my fave Soft Machine albums. If you like The Soft Weed Factor from Six, I mean, if you love that type of minimalistic jazzy compositions, Seven is two sides of it with great playing, and every now and then some funky bits.

Dave Holland's album is a very strong album that should be listened by all post bop/avant garde jazz fans. Sam Rivers on sax, if I'm not mistaken, a beast.

I long thought that Seven was inferior to 6, but the recent Cuneiform release of the NDR broadcast DVD (recorded betwen the releas of the two albums, but with the line-up of Seven) has got thinking I really like that album almost as much as 6 and Third

Only heard of the Holland album from th reast of th list, but no doubt I'll listen to the new RTF soon

my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicted musicians to crazy ones....

Matt View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2012 at 6:25pm
No help here. Have not heard one of em' But as usual I do have something to say Wink Joshua Redman's "Beyond" is great. I like his early stuff the best. I stopped buying his albums after this one

Yaya3

Yaya was the band, ruined my perceptions of Joshua. You may like it many did, but not me. If an album comes out from an artist that I like and does not grab me and then another  album the same following I usually drop them which was his "Elastic:" album from memory. It is in the garage wardrobe where albums that don't grab me usually wind up.

"James Farm" does look interesting though

No vote of course.

"Dave Holland is a whiz though ain't he" That is the album that does interest me the most if I were to buy one it would have been his from the above choices.

Edited by Matt - 06 Jul 2012 at 6:27pm
Matt
Cannonball With Hat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cannonball With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2012 at 11:04pm
Soft Machine, Holland, PI
Hit it on Five.

Saxophone Scatterbrain Blitzberg

Stab them in the ears.
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2012 at 1:22pm
It's all tied up!

I did get a chance to listen to the Planeta Imaginario album. It's an awesome modern fusion album, very creative music there, with a little bit of Canterbury and classical. Nice horns too.
Cannonball With Hat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cannonball With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2012 at 12:28am
Thumbs Up
Its a good one for sure. I didnt really care for their previous album so I delayed getting OD and boy did I oops there.
Hit it on Five.

Saxophone Scatterbrain Blitzberg

Stab them in the ears.
Kazuhiro View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazuhiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2012 at 12:59am
I did not think that 7 was bad. It is Karl Jenkins to be bad.AngryBig smile I thought that he changed the directionality of the band. In any case Softs is 3 and 4 for me.
dreadpirateroberts View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2012 at 1:27am
The Mothership Returns always nice to hear some live music
We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
Reviews...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic