JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Jazz Music Lounges >Jazz Music Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Chicago like band recommandation

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Asmodean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Chicago like band recommandation
    Posted: 30 Jun 2012 at 11:37am
i want you to recomend me some bands that are sort of like the early Chicago, from CTA towards the X album, (not bands like BST or EWF) but more obscure bands, does not have to be brass ether but bands that is similar to Chicago in sound, ambition and style 
"I created these characters, and I am an Old Testament God with my fist in the middle of their lives." by Robert Jordan Auther of the Wheel of Time fantasy wonderstory

js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2012 at 11:45am
Some bands that have some similarities, not only in instrumentation, but in music:
The Flock
Chase
Dreams
Buddy Miles
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2012 at 12:08pm
Thought of some more:
Lighthouse
Pacific Gas and Electric
Rotary Connection
early Osibissa has similar long form arranged melodies
Asmodean View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Asmodean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2012 at 12:18pm
this Flock

"I created these characters, and I am an Old Testament God with my fist in the middle of their lives." by Robert Jordan Auther of the Wheel of Time fantasy wonderstory

js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2012 at 12:41pm
Yep
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2012 at 12:43pm
Try Lighthouse and Pacific Gas and Electric, their probably the closest to Chicago.
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2012 at 1:08pm
I don't exactly remember what they sound like, but what about Dream? If I remember correctly, it featured Billy Cobham and the Brecker Brothers. I think they played a style of brass-rock like Chicago, leaning towards jazz (like CTA).
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2012 at 1:33pm
British Brass Rock

If
Brainchild
Warm Dust
Gailliard
Skin Alley (the first two albums)

my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicted musicians to crazy ones....

darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2012 at 1:55pm
How about Jack Bruce - "Songs for a Tailor"? Does that count?
Matt View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2012 at 4:09pm
I have not heard of "Pacific Gas and Electric" in years. It was like a bell went off. Thumbs Up They did have a single ? I don't own any of their stuff but as I said.........ding....something there, nagging at my memory
Matt
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2012 at 5:07pm
Originally posted by Matt Matt wrote:

I have not heard of "Pacific Gas and Electric" in years. It was like a bell went off. Thumbs Up They did have a single ? I don't own any of their stuff but as I said.........ding....something there, nagging at my memory

At the the time Chicago's name was still Chicago Transit Authority, so the two bands sounded more like places to seek union employment, not rock bands.
Matt View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2012 at 5:28pm
Originally posted by js js wrote:

Originally posted by Matt Matt wrote:

At the the time Chicago's name was still Chicago Transit Authority, so the two bands sounded more like places to seek union employment, not rock bands.
LOL Strawbs, ...........".I'm a union man amzed at what I am, I say what I think if the company stinks"
Matt
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic