JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements >Welcome newbies!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

On from PA

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
dreadpirateroberts View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: On from PA
    Posted: 08 Nov 2012 at 4:38am
^ I find the same - also, if I switch off the deep concentration, new things do jump out at times. I suddenly realise just how great something is that way
We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
Reviews...
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2012 at 3:47am
Depends on the style I guess, I'll use music as wallpaper sometimes, but some music demands you pay attention, it doesn't stay in the background very well.
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dayvenkirq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2012 at 2:04am
Would you guys say that much of jazz (typically) demands concentration or could one just hear it instead of listening to it and enjoy anything that catches his ear?

Edited by Dayvenkirq - 08 Nov 2012 at 2:04am
“… Miles often looked back but he always moved forwards. … Because the only thing you've got is your creative basis, your memory.” – Ian Carr (Miles Davis’ biographer).
bytor2112 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bytor2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2012 at 12:27am
Wow! There's alot of PA'ers around here.Big smile
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dayvenkirq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2012 at 10:05pm
^ Is it a line from somewhere or were you just bored?
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
JMA Special Collaborator
JMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2012 at 9:55pm
onward through the night

Atavachron View Drop Down
JMA Collaborator
JMA Collaborator
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2012 at 8:35pm
for Monk try Criss Cross .. also look into some McCoy Tyner, Atlantis comes to mind
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dayvenkirq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2012 at 1:13am
^ Thanks. Smile
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2012 at 12:52am
Look at the review at the top of the home page, jazz with the feel of a classical guitarist. 
There are lots of jazz guitarists who play acoustic, off the top of my head, Earl Klugh and John McLaughlin come to mind, as well as all the Bosa Nova players like Jobim etc.
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dayvenkirq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2012 at 12:47am
Originally posted by js js wrote:

The first thing that came to mind watching this was Joe Pass' solo guitar albums. "Virtuoso" is favorite with a lot of people.

How about jazz on acoustic/classical guitar?
DamoXt7942 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DamoXt7942 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2012 at 1:33am
Welcome also here. Handshake
--

DamoXt7942

Guilt Is A Great Motivator.
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2012 at 6:30pm
The first thing that came to mind watching this was Joe Pass' solo guitar albums. "Virtuoso" is favorite with a lot of people.
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dayvenkirq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2012 at 6:07pm
Hello again. I have just remembered something ...

I was wondering if someone could actually recommend me something in the spirit of this:

^ This is not perfect but pretty darn close (no, this is not me; this is just some other dude). "Alice's Wonderland" (a bit by Chuck Mingus) happened to be one of my most favorite tracks on Bert Jansch's debut album. Does anyone know any albums or artists who play similar kind of stuff, maybe not on acoustic guitar but at least with this sense of melody or that level of skill?

Edited by Dayvenkirq - 01 Jul 2012 at 6:09pm
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dayvenkirq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2012 at 12:26am
^ Thank you for the recommendations. I'll try to come up with some time and patience and simply dive in.
dreadpirateroberts View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2012 at 10:45pm
Hey, welcome, Dayvenkirq! I'll second a lot of the recommendations you've had so far, all are good indeed. Specifically I'd suggest these perhaps, (I'm trying to keep the idea of accessibility in mind as I do):

Bill Evans' Everybody Digs Bill Evans (trio setting, piano, bass drums)
Herbie Hancock's Headhunters (seminal funk jazz)
Dave Brubeck's Time Out, Jazz Impressions of Japan (fantastic 'cool' jazz)
Santana's Caravanserai (you'd probably already know it though)
Keith Jarrett's The Köln Concert (beautiful solo piano improv)
Freddie Hubbard's First Light (some of the early 1970s CTI albums like this are more challenging per-cursors to 'Smooth Jazz')

Have a look around the site and you'll find a few reviews for most of those - otherwise youtube will let you sample em of course, let us know how you go with the genres/artists suggested and I'm sure we can keep suggesting. Interested to hear what you enjoy!

Ashley

We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
Reviews...
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
JMA Special Collaborator
JMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2012 at 7:52pm
We don't need no stinkin' PAers comin' 'round hyar.  Oh...wait. Tongue
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dayvenkirq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2012 at 4:09pm
^ Ah, a'right. 

Thank you all for the advices. I'll ... try it all.
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2012 at 3:34pm
By the way, you might find it easier to get into jazz by getting into jazz-rock/fusion and moving from there. That's how I started; got albums by Return To Forever, Brand X, Chick Corea Elektric Band, and Mahavishnu Orchestra and eventually found myself diggin' post-bop, hard-bop, and cool jazz.
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2012 at 3:32pm
Glad to have you on board. I see you at PA all the time. Everyone here is willing to recommend and discuss albums and stuff to check out. The reviews are coming, I, and many others are pumping them out.
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2012 at 2:45pm
You might find this helpful, this breaks down the chronology of our jazz site, gives you a timetable on the different genres.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic