JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Jazz Music Lounges >Jazz Music Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The Mike Stern thread

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Mike Stern thread
    Posted: 11 Jun 2012 at 2:30am
I've never been the biggest fan of MIke Stern, though I have his album "Play" which is pretty good. I like him
in Miles Davis' band in the 80s, and anything I have with him as a guest is generally good. But I've sampled
some of his other albums, and none of them really seemed interesting to me. I've never
heard "Who Let The Cats Out?" (2006), and there seems to be a lot of good reviews of it on the web.
I was wondering if anyone here has heard this album and if it's worth getting.

Edited by darkshade - 09 Aug 2012 at 9:33pm
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2012 at 2:50am
No, I don't know that one, I do like his playing though, and from the samples I heard, his new album is nice.
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2012 at 2:58pm
His playing is great, he plays jazz with the mentality of a rock guitarist. He has a pretty original tone. Sometimes he plays over stuff that's just a little too contemporary for me. Based on what I've read, this album is not like that, but I wanted to see if anyone knew anything about this album.
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2012 at 3:04pm
You know the story about him and Miles Davis? 
During rehearsals Miles told him to quit playing that "jazz sh*t", producing a boombox with the new Van Halen, Miles told him to play like that!
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2012 at 3:14pm
Yes I've heard that story before, forgot where, maybe the autobiography "Miles" I have. It's funny he called it "that jazz sh*t", but it doesn't surprise me, he was over it, and he knew rock was the future. Mike Stern plays some great stuff on The Man With The Horn and We Want Miles.
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2012 at 8:19pm
So against my better judgement, I took a chance and bought "Who Let The Cats Out?". Listening right now. So far so good, it's what I was looking for.

Mike Stern's albums sound too contemporary for me, they're not bad, but not the kind of fusion I crave. His album "Play" was the first album I heard by him, and I thought he did a lot more albums like that, but it's not the case. Luckily, WLTCO? is like Play, so I'm happy so far.

I did hear the album he did with Jaco on bass, and I recall that being good, but had a lot of that 80s production that kind of turned me off; and I generally get anything with Jaco on it.
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2012 at 8:48pm
Nice lineup on here, too. I hadn't realized so many great musicians were on this album. Roy Hargrove, Victor Wooten, Dave Weckl, Richard Bona, Anthony Jackson, Jim Bear, and many others.
Kazuhiro View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazuhiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2012 at 9:04pm
Originally posted by darkshade darkshade wrote:

Nice lineup on here, too. I hadn't realized so many great musicians were on this album. Roy Hargrove, Victor Wooten, Dave Weckl, Richard Bona, Anthony Jackson, Jim Bear, and many others.

I have not yet listened to the album. Is it good? I have really heard "Upside Downside" and "Play" before.

When it was a really good album, I memorize "Play".
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2012 at 9:08pm
Originally posted by Kazuhiro Kazuhiro wrote:

Originally posted by darkshade darkshade wrote:

I have not yet listened to the album. Is it good? I have really heard "Upside Downside" and "Play" before.

When it was a really good album, I memorize "Play".

Is it good? Yes.

I'm on my first listen, and I'm liking what I hear. A nice mix of classic fusion, in Stern's style, with his signature tone, and post-bop, sometimes in the same tune. There was one world-fusion tune in there, with Richard Bona, and the Victor Wooten-led track was real funky. I'm very happy I took the chance and got this album. It's up there with "Play" which is another great album by Stern.
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2012 at 9:19pm
Well, who'd have thought? The last track on WLTCO? "Blue Runaway" is a song I had on a compilation disc that I got from a now-closed record store by me. I haven't heard this song in years LOL. That was how I heard about Mike Stern, which led me to checking out a couple of other jazz artists at the time. Now I'm really glad I got this album.

Sax man
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2012 at 9:24pm
Anyone know how the new Mike Stern album "All Over The Place" is? Evolver over at PA was saying it's his best album in a long time, so my interest is piqued.
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2012 at 9:30pm
It sounds OK, not my favorite sort of thing but here are some samples.

darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2012 at 9:35pm
Hmm. It sounds just OK to me too. I know it's just samples, but it doesn't sound as good as Who Let The Cats Out? or Play. It was a good price at my local shop for 11 bucks, but I held off.
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2012 at 10:13pm
I was hearing a few too many simple tunes for what I would look for in a Mike Stern album. I want to hear the guy go off, he's a great soloist.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic