JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Jazz Music Lounges >Jazz Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Frank Zappa Appreciation

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Block Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Frank Zappa Appreciation
    Posted: 08 Apr 2011 at 4:43pm
One of the best Jazz/Rock artists IMO, but what's yours?
[FLASH WIDTH=200 HEIGHT=200]http://cdn.pimpmyspace.org/media/pms/c/ju/uq/qi/ctures_119.jpg[/FLASH]
triceratopsoil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2011 at 4:46pm
He has his moments.

My favourite Zappa thing is the 2 seconds of greasy double bass at the beginning of Little Umbrellas.
The Block View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Block Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2011 at 5:03pm
Personally I don't really know what my favorite Zappa thing is, though it might be my first listen to Apostrophe, or when I got infected with Frank Zappa...LOL
[FLASH WIDTH=200 HEIGHT=200]http://cdn.pimpmyspace.org/media/pms/c/ju/uq/qi/ctures_119.jpg[/FLASH]
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2011 at 5:36pm
Love him, but I burnt myself out on his music years ago and am still trying to reclaim that magical time. These days, if I'm even in the mood, I can only listen to one album of his at a time before I have to move on.
J-Man View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2011 at 5:36pm
I'm a pretty huge Zappa fanatic. I love his early Mothers recordings, I love his solo stuff in the 70's, and I even moderately enjoy some his silly 80's albums. All around genius IMO. 
Cannonball With Hat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cannonball With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2011 at 4:33pm
One of my all time favorite artists for sure. One Size Fits All is my favorite album by Zappa. Everything I love about him squeezed into that little package. For this site I give the tip to The Grand Wazoo. Wonderful album, my favorite of his trilogy of early jazz rock/fusion albums.
peskypesky View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peskypesky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2011 at 4:37pm
the dude was a genius. both as composer and guitarist. but i just wish he would've stuck to instrumentals after the first few Mothers albums. the lyrics just kill so much of his music for me. either that, or only allow Captain Beefheart to sing for him.
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2011 at 5:12pm
yknow, FZ has jazz and jazz/fusion moments ALL OVER his huge discography, but the albums that really focus on the jazz, i consider some of the best in the genre by any artist. For someone who didn't even like to TALK about jazz, he sure knew how to do it well and unique
Prog Geo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog Geo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2011 at 5:21pm
A legendary musician.
Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2011 at 12:49pm
A big Zappa fan myself, especially his mid seventies period, One Size Fits All being my favourite album of his.
Ovalotus View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ovalotus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2011 at 6:31pm
I have one of his double live albums on CD. It's wonderful.
The Manticore View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Manticore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2011 at 10:43pm
My first experience was The Grand Wazoo followed by Hot Rats and I was infected. Fantastic stuff. Since then I have collected a good cross section of Zappa/Mothers material. Currently oozing over Yellow Shark.
Otto126 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Otto126 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2011 at 4:41am
Still got all his vinyls from the first up to "Zappa in New York" plus some bootlegs.

I've seen him twice, first at Hamburg 1974 and then at Hannover in 1976. This is from the Hannover-concert:

http://www.ottosell.de/zappa/images/zappa-pudel.jpg
image: Otto Sell

Edited by Otto126 - 20 Apr 2011 at 4:42am
AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AtomicCrimsonRush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2011 at 9:59am
I approach him with caution cos he can go from genius -
Zoot Allures - Zappa In New York -
to stupidity
- Joes Garage

However Zappa is definitely legendary and indispensable to the jazz fusion movement
Ovalotus View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ovalotus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2011 at 5:45pm
Originally posted by AtomicCrimsonRush AtomicCrimsonRush wrote:

to stupidity
- Joes Garage

Watermelon in Easter Hay is stupidity?
Moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2011 at 8:27pm

to stupidity
- Joes Garage

However Zappa is definitely legendary and indispensable to the jazz fusion movement

I always ahd the thought that Frank might have been more responsible for fusion that we give him credit for, although as mentioned above, there are times when one album is enough ... and I would suggest that the lyrics are the culprit here.

But if one can shut that off a bit, yeah, there is some seriously good music and the compositional ability is very good and way up and above a lot of folks that were known for "fusion", as this guy was fusing a lot more than just jazz and rock ... a heck of a lot more that we could handle, and still can't!
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2011 at 3:12am
Originally posted by Moshkito Moshkito wrote:

to stupidity
- Joes Garage

I always ahd the thought that Frank might have been more responsible for fusion that we give him credit for, although as mentioned above, there are times when one album is enough ... and I would suggest that the lyrics are the culprit here.

But if one can shut that off a bit, yeah, there is some seriously good music and the compositional ability is very good and way up and above a lot of folks that were known for "fusion", as this guy was fusing a lot more than just jazz and rock ... a heck of a lot more that we could handle, and still can't!
Yeah, I often wished Zappa had shut the hell up a few more times to let us appreciate the music behind his silly humour and almost slapstick comedy, prior to thr Hot Rats series

Unfortunately he returned very quickly to an even worse kind of scatological and teenage lust humour as soon as Apostrophe until Joe's Garage

Yup, he sold lotsa records to zitty male kids in search of losing their virginity in the late 70's... I knowthis because I had a lot of schoolmates into Overnight Sheik's Garage era, mainly because of the texts and guitar heroics (hemerroidsBig smile) needless to say it didn't work well for them, because most girls hated Zappa and stayed clear of anyone who liked himLOL.

my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicted musicians to crazy ones....

chuckyspell View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chuckyspell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2011 at 5:34am
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

to stupidity
- Joes Garage

Yeah, I often wished Zappa had shut the hell up a few more times to let us appreciate the music behind his silly humour and almost slapstick comedy, prior to thr Hot Rats series

Unfortunately he returned very quickly to an even worse kind of scatological and teenage lust humour as soon as Apostrophe until Joe's Garage

Yup, he sold lotsa records to zitty male kids in search of losing their virginity in the late 70's... I knowthis because I had a lot of schoolmates into Overnight Sheik's Garage era, mainly because of the texts and guitar heroics (hemerroidsBig smile) needless to say it didn't work well for them, because most girls hated Zappa and stayed clear of anyone who liked himLOL.

Who was he referring to when he said "Shut Up and Play Your Guitar"?
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2011 at 2:49pm
Originally posted by chuckyspell chuckyspell wrote:

Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

to stupidity
- Joes Garage

Who was he referring to when he said "Shut Up and Play Your Guitar"?
Yeah I know, but that's cheatingTongue , because it's a compilation of his "rare" live guitar solos all gathered ion one disc to make the male teenagers drool over his guitar on top of his smut!!!

my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicted musicians to crazy ones....

Moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2011 at 3:01pm
Hi,

On Guy Guden's blog, there is one where he discusses Frank Zappa, and what had become of him. In the end, it would come back to hurt him, despite the great music, which he himself, sometimes, did not believe in. I think he was bored and that was one way for him to have some fun ... but yeah ... it does get nerve wrecking and boring after a while.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic