JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements >Welcome newbies!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hello

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattGuitat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hello
    Posted: 08 Jun 2012 at 1:57pm
Hi, I'm Matt. I began listening to jazz recently when I was with my family in the French Market of New Orleans. I was a big Prog rock fan and was looking for CDs. I found a little dealer and recognized the names of Miles Davis and Herbie Hancock, of who's tunes I had played in school jazz bands (I play the trumpet in addition to the guitar Big smile). I decided to broaden my horizons by buying a Miles album, but the only name I recognized was Sketches of Spain (Robert Fripp mentioned it in a interview or something) so that became my first jazz album. Five minutes later LOL I went back and found Herbie's Headhunters and got that one, too. I enjoyed Headhunters more, as Sketches is still growing on me, and wanted to explore more. I eventually got Kind of Blue and listened to it everywhere. My high school band director heard I liked jazz and let me borrow copies of Bitches Brew and Sun Ra's Strange Celestial Road. Haven't listened to the Sun Ra one much, but I've fallen in love with Bitches Brew. I also bought Crossings recently. 

As you see, I have little jazz, but I enjoy sites like these and being a member. If anyone has any suggestions for me, please feel free to send me some.

-Matt
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2012 at 2:04pm
Welcome Matt, seeing as how you seem to like that 70s psychedelic fusion sound, let me recommend "Big Fun" by Miles Davis and "I Sing the Body Electric" by Weather Report.
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2012 at 2:08pm
Got one more for you Matt since you mention Robert Fripp. Check out one of Fripp's favorite guitarists, the psychedelic jazz guitar guru, Pete Cosey, on the Miles Davis album "Agharta".
MattGuitat View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattGuitat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2012 at 2:22pm
Originally posted by js js wrote:

Got one more for you Matt since you mention Robert Fripp. Check out one of Fripp's favorite guitarists, the psychedelic jazz guitar guru, Pete Cosey, on the Miles Davis album "Agharta".

I've actually checked some of the stuff with Pete Cosey on youtube. OH MY GOD that dude is amazing! He's like a cross between Hendrix and Fripp. I'll be sure to pick up Agharta as soon as I can.
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2012 at 2:40pm
Hey Matt welcome to JMA. We always need more members as activity is not as busy as PA.

Recommendations will just lead to more recommendations, as the kind of jazz you have right now (mostly fusion) is so great, and there's many great albums to explore.

I second the recommendation for Miles' Big Fun album. Also check out Dark Magus and In A Silent Way.

If you like Headhunters, get the follow up Thrust, which is the better album. Also check out Jaco Pastorius' selt titled album, one of the best jazz bassists to ever live, probably the most influential jazz bassist (definitely in the fusion genre). Herbie is also on keyboards for the whole album.

I also second Weather Report "I Sing the Body Electric". Also, "Sweet Nighter" is amazing.
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2012 at 6:01pm
welcome MattHug!!
my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicted musicians to crazy ones....

Kazuhiro View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazuhiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2012 at 10:43pm
Welcome to the site. Miles and Herbie of the 70s will be good examples. I often listen to a sound track of "Coffy". It is not complete psychedelic. However, I memorized it when a performance matched a good atmosphere.
dreadpirateroberts View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2012 at 1:59am
Welcome, Matt!

Hope you enjoy the site. I definitely second Weather Report's first few albums, the debut is generally gentler than BB though
We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
Reviews...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic