JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Jazz Music Lounges >Jazz Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Souljazz and Jazzfunk Fanatics Needed

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2012 at 12:05pm
Here is a rare psychedelic soul-rock album I found in a thrift store, a DJ would kill to get their hands on this:

js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2012 at 11:50am
I'm not familiar with Mike Longo, but I do collect soul jazz, funk jazz, acid jazz, trip-hop, blaxploitation, crime-jazz etc
You may also be interested in Italian soundtracks, here is my review of a I Marc 4 collection on this site:

Rokukai View Drop Down
JMA Jazz Reviewer
JMA Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rokukai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2012 at 11:30am
Thanks for the welcome, and thanks for the recommendation. I've heard those guys from a blaxploit compile. I think they have a full lp, right?

Anyway, we are on the right track....obscure, beat oriented music from the seventies, jazz you can dance to...speaking of blaxploit compilations, the one i have with the skullsnaps has a killer jazzfunk song "Like a Thief in the Night" from a musician Mike Longo. It's the only song I could find with his name on it and it was his only performance credit on AMG. Does anyone know anything about him?
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2012 at 8:58am
A big part of my reviews are on funk-jazz and soul-jazz music. I'm not sure how obscure you are looking for. Most really obscure stuff is on compilations these days put out by acid jazz labels etc.
dreadpirateroberts View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2012 at 8:01am
Hi Rokukai, welcome to the site

I'm afraid I can't do much in terms of truly obscure, though one that is perhaps sometimes overlooked at least, is 'Skull Snaps'  - a pretty good funk/soul/RnB album. Not really like James Mason, but definitely soul-ish, but I'm betting you've heard of them anyway Smile
We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
Reviews...
Rokukai View Drop Down
JMA Jazz Reviewer
JMA Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rokukai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2012 at 6:50am
I'm looking for some obscure gems within this realm I've exhausted all the Prestige and Grover Washington and O'donel Levy records I can. I need some unknown, unheard of James Mason type albums. Anyone brave enough to recommend?

Edited by Rokukai - 24 May 2012 at 11:23am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic