Poll Question: Head to Head
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
5 [55.56%]
4 [44.44%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Weather Report vs Bitches Brew
    Posted: 18 May 2012 at 10:57pm
Father vs Son?

Which album do you prefer between these two? BB deservedly has more of a landmark status of course - but I think that something about WR's narrows and tightens the focus of what BB began. And so I'm voting Weather Report, partially due to its relatively more chilled approach.
We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
Reviews...
Cannonball With Hat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cannonball With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2012 at 2:24am
Weather Report, easy.

BB has yet to appeal to me...and I can't imagine it will anytime soon.
Hit it on Five.

Saxophone Scatterbrain Blitzberg

Stab them in the ears.
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2012 at 3:19am
There wouldn' have been a WR without BB
my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicted musicians to crazy ones....

dreadpirateroberts View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2012 at 8:55am

Neck and neck, excellent

Originally posted by Cannonball With Hat Cannonball With Hat wrote:

Weather Report, easy.

Yeah? What is it about BB that doesn't sell it for you? Interested to hear what you think.  Sometimes I wonder if Miles and Teo had stripped about a third of the band back for the album, what it would sound like.

Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Very true indeed. WR owe a lot to Miles on that one - even with the obvious connection between albums
Reviews...
Abraxas View Drop Down
JMA Collaborator
JMA Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abraxas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2012 at 1:30pm
Bitches, although it still is sinking in.

WR's debut is essential listening though, for all Brew fans.
triceratopsoil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2012 at 2:38pm

Weather Report, easy.

Same, for whatever reason I haven't dug BB
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cannonball With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2012 at 5:58pm
Originally posted by dreadpirateroberts dreadpirateroberts wrote:

Neck and neck, excellent

Weather Report, easy.

Yeah? What is it about BB that doesn't sell it for you? Interested to hear what you think.  Sometimes I wonder if Miles and Teo had stripped about a third of the band back for the album, what it would sound like.

Very true indeed. WR owe a lot to Miles on that one - even with the obvious connection between albums

I find it boring and directionless. Stuff is happening yet nothing seems to be. No excitement to my ears. And it goes on and on and on. 
Hit it on Five.

Stab them in the ears.
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2012 at 6:24am
^ That's partly why I like 'John McLaughlin' so much, it's a real concise moment in comparison to the rest of the album, which certainly meanders.

But I also love how long the two pieces on first LP are, they almost wear you down with all that menace and reverb. And the rest of the album, that business is definitely hit and miss in some pieces.
Reviews...
Abraxas View Drop Down
JMA Collaborator
JMA Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abraxas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2012 at 12:31pm
^the big two pieces are just massive, a must-listen for loud, high quality speakers. Exhausting experience.
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2012 at 6:21pm
Yes, exhasusting, but worth it. I most often hear it in headphones (not a bad pair) but when I really want to listen I use my proper stereo, got it rehoused with a more resonant quality of wood and it makes quite a difference - especially vs the old chipboard and thin veneer it used to be in.
Reviews...
Kazuhiro View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazuhiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2012 at 9:07pm
WR. For Alphonse Mouzon.Big smile
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2012 at 3:55pm
It took me a few years to appreciate Bitches Brew, meanwhile I was getting into so many other Miles Davis albums, both fusion and pre-fusion albums, including Big Fun, BB's sister album.

Since a couple year ago at most, Ive loved Bitches Brew every time I throw it on.

Weather Report is a great album too, but wouldn't exist without Bitches Brew. I do like that some compositions are on Miles' 70s albums, and yes, they're tighter, but man, the atmosphere on BB is so much.... cooler.

Bitches Brew.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cannonball With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2012 at 4:31pm

^ That's partly why I like 'John McLaughlin' so much, it's a real concise moment in comparison to the rest of the album, which certainly meanders.

But I also love how long the two pieces on first LP are, they almost wear you down with all that menace and reverb. And the rest of the album, that business is definitely hit and miss in some pieces.

Yeah...it's probably in my top three just for the fact that it's short. But I still dont find it all that thrilling.
Hit it on Five.

Stab them in the ears.
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2012 at 7:46am
Originally posted by Kazuhiro Kazuhiro wrote:

And he's great on some of the Tyner and HH albums, too, huh?

Originally posted by darkshade darkshade wrote:

It took me a few years to appreciate Bitches Brew, meanwhile I was getting into so many other Miles Davis albums, both fusion and pre-fusion albums, including Big Fun, BB's sister album.

Since a couple year ago at most, Ive loved Bitches Brew every time I throw it on.

Weather Report is a great album too, but wouldn't exist without Bitches Brew. I do like that some compositions are on Miles' 70s albums, and yes, they're tighter, but man, the atmosphere on BB is so much.... cooler.

Bitches Brew.

Yes, a much 'cooler' atmosphere, I think it's one of the main selling points of the album for me, I like that description

Yeah...it's probably in my top three just for the fact that it's short. But I still dont find it all that thrilling.

To switch focus a little, how about In a Silent Way?

Reviews...
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2012 at 5:41am
Has anybody ever figured out what that "thing" was on WR's debut album's cover??
my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicted musicians to crazy ones....

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2012 at 5:54am

====================

Not to mention Alphonse works with Larry Coryell and in Eleventh House

Not a fan of his Funky snakeboots solo album, though... Any other recs??

=====================

love IASW as well, of course

Edited by Sean Trane - 29 May 2012 at 5:54am

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cannonball With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2012 at 2:56am

Bitches Brew.

Yes, a much 'cooler' atmosphere, I think it's one of the main selling points of the album for me, I like that description

In A Silent Way I like. Very good jazz album. Excellent atmosphere, and lovely keyboard 'overload'. I'm not a huge fan of IASW the track (the middle bit is nice though) but then I still dont care for it on Joe's album either.
Hit it on Five.

Stab them in the ears.
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2012 at 8:04am

Has anybody ever figured out what that "thing" was on WR's debut album's cover??

Are they sails maybe?

I love the artwork, it's powerful but subtle, has great movement to it
Reviews...
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2012 at 8:10am

Bitches Brew.

In A Silent Way I like. Very good jazz album. Excellent atmosphere, and lovely keyboard 'overload'. I'm not a huge fan of IASW the track (the middle bit is nice though) but then I still dont care for it on Joe's album either.

Yes, it's always great to hear different versions, but I think I prefer it with Miles too. That album has a killer 'build and release theme' executed so well. My introduction to John's guitar I think, so I have additional fond memories of hearing the album for the first time
Reviews...
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2012 at 8:29am

Are they sails maybe?

I love the artwork, it's powerful but subtle, has great movement to it

That was my first thought (either that or Tibetan-type of flags) in the 90's, when I had the Columbia jzaa masterpiece edition... But if you save the artwork and enlarge it, it looks like mechanocal pieces ( pomp rotor or something of the kind)

yes, I like it, but probably even, more if I knew what it wasLOL

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic