Forum Home Forum Home >Jazz Music Lounges >Jazz Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

ECM

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idlero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ECM
    Posted: 08 Apr 2011 at 1:15pm
I think ECM deserves a seperate topic , actually I kind of expected to see an ECM subgenre
Anyway, some like it and some hate it.
Personally I try to sample almost everything that comes out on ECM and which is even slightly related to jazz.
Stooge View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2011 at 1:26pm
Is this with reference to the record label or something else?
idlero View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idlero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2011 at 1:29pm
Yes, the record label, but in a way it's also almost like a genre of musicwith several sub-genres
Abraxas View Drop Down
JMA Collaborator
JMA Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abraxas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2011 at 1:37pm
I don't know much about it, other than my dad owning half of Metheny's huge discography which is mostly ECM. Also, plenty of Jarrett.

Care to recommend some ECM albums?

(I also have John Abercrombie's Timeless, and maybe some other)
Stooge View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2011 at 1:39pm
I believe Marc Johnson's album, Bass Desires, was on ECM.  It features drummer Peter Erskine with Bill Frisell and John Scofield pairing up on guitar.  I'd recommend that album for sure. Smile
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2011 at 1:41pm
i think most of the stuff I have that is ECM is Dave Holland, Chick Corea and Pat Metheny. I'll have to go through and see what else I have
Ricochet View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ricochet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2011 at 2:00pm
I've browsed enough ECM, so I pick anything specific to refer to. As for the ECM style, the new Bjornstad/Henryson album (Night Song) made me wonder if the label is actually against contrasts, different dynamics. The album is nice, but you feel as if there could have been more done, hence why you wonder if they've been asked to come with 16 songs of the same style, mood et all.

Of course, this extends to a whole lot more within the ECM archives.

The label also seems hooked to blurry photos as covers these days.

harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harmonium.ro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2011 at 2:14pm
The stuff I have I consider essential to my musical education, but I confess I only got my fingertips wet in this ocean.

Relevant artists for me are Steve Tibbetts, Peter Erskine, Keith Jarrett, Colin Walcott, Steve Eliovson, Stephan Micus, Jan Garbareck, Anouar Brahem, Terje Rypdal.

Edited by harmonium.ro - 08 Apr 2011 at 2:21pm
idlero View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idlero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2011 at 2:18pm
Originally posted by Abraxas Abraxas wrote:

I don't know much about it, other than my dad owning half of Metheny's huge discography which is mostly ECM. Also, plenty of Jarrett.

Care to recommend some ECM albums?

(I also have John Abercrombie's Timeless, and maybe some other)

I don't know your tastes, ECM is a bit "different" (for example Jan Garbarek's Officium) and the style evolved in time .Most of their recent releases fall in the Third Stream and Nu Jazz categories.
To get an impression try :
Nick Bartsch - anything you can find
Anouar Brahem-Le Pas Du Chat Noir
Jan Garbarek, Anouar Brahem-Madar
Arve Henriksen-Cartography
Mathias Eick-The Door
idlero View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idlero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2011 at 2:20pm
Originally posted by Ricochet Ricochet wrote:

I've browsed enough ECM, so I pick anything specific to refer to. As for the ECM style, the new Bjornstad/Henryson album (Night Song) made me wonder if the label is actually against contrasts, different dynamics. The album is nice, but you feel as if there could have been more done, hence why you wonder if they've been asked to come with 16 songs of the same style, mood et all.

Of course, this extends to a whole lot more within the ECM archives.

The label also seems hooked to blurry photos as covers these days.

You are right about Night Song
Did you try Francois Cotourier-Tarkovski Quartet?
andyman1125 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andyman1125 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2011 at 3:20pm
ECM has made some fantastic jazz, but I like the Blue Note collection better.
idlero View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idlero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2011 at 3:23pm
IMO Blue Note is more "straight jazz", ECM is "different"-more Nu Jazz and Third Stream, also some World Fusion
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2011 at 3:24pm
Originally posted by idlero idlero wrote:

IMO Blue Note is more "straight jazz", ECM is "different"-more Nu Jazz and Third Stream, also some World Fusion

Ive heard some avant-jazz too
andyman1125 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andyman1125 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2011 at 4:05pm

True. I guess I like a lot of that straight jazz LOL
Kazuhiro View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazuhiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2011 at 7:05pm

The CD shop in Japan is often setting up the place only for ECM.

Of course, the New series is included there. They might often be the progressive music and be items of Third Stream though I bought the album of Ketil Bjornstad and Meredith Monk.

Especially, it is guessed that the New series has not been considered with JMA yet.

idlero View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idlero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2011 at 8:53am
Mathias Eick's Skala is a strange ECM release, I wasn't expecting elevator music from ECM
snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2011 at 6:16am
Originally posted by andyman1125 andyman1125 wrote:

True. I guess I like a lot of that straight jazz LOL

ECM at early 70s gave us all the line of excellent avant-garde jazz albums, recorded with their precise and crystal clear sound mix. Unfortunately very soon (mid-late 70s) they switched to less experimental more simplified music, mixing soft fusion with lot of folklore,what very soon became their "classic 80s" sound - safe well polished chamber world fusion very often on the border with terrible new age sound. 

To be honest, they tried to return back to a bit more experimental (for its time) music, Molvaers some early albums were released on ECM, and some nowadays their releases are a bit more adventurous than all others, but historically looking they made the way (during few decades) from indie experimental label with very own face and sound to commercially successful conformist European chamber contemporary jazz /world fusion/new age label (still having their face and sound - and you don't expect no surprises from their well-crafted and super safe saloon music, still of highest standard though).

ECM by no way is the label associated with progressive (or just innovative) nu jazz nowadays as well. Their few nu jazz releases usually present mix of contemporary jazz (or new age) with some nu jazz elements - saloon conformist music for younger consumers. But - of high quality as well.
Matt View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2011 at 6:39am
I like them but they are  fairly predictable but still they do some good albums. My faves of the label are Tomas Stanko, Louis Sclavis, Dave Holland, Jarret of course and Jan Garbarek." Leosia" and "From The Greenhill "by Stanko are beautiful. Louis Sclavis, L'Affrontement Des Pretendants is another great album. One composer who is on the label and really the only Classical artist I listen to is Arvo Part with "Alina" being my pick but that is not his usual fare and from that I like the new one and "In Principio".

Anyone into Stephen Micus with all his different world instruments. I do not know much about him myself and own nothing from him but just curious if anyone here is in to him.
Well back to work for me as that is where I am at the moment Wink
Matt
Prog Geo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog Geo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2011 at 6:52am

Mathias Eick's Skala is a strange ECM release, I wasn't expecting elevator music from ECM

I just listen to some songs now. He is fantastic!
idlero View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idlero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2011 at 7:50am
Originally posted by Prog Geo Prog Geo wrote:

I just listen to some songs now. He is fantastic!

Then you should listen to his 1st album "The Door"
I think the problem with a lot of the fusion music is that it's extremely predictable, it's a rock rhythm and the solos all play the same stuff and they play it over and over again ...
Ken Burns
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 12>
  Share Topic