JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Jazz Music Lounges >Jazz Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

ECM

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog Geo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2011 at 8:12am
Originally posted by idlero idlero wrote:

Originally posted by Prog Geo Prog Geo wrote:

Mathias Eick's Skala is a strange ECM release, I wasn't expecting elevator music from ECM

I just listen to some songs now. He is fantastic!

Then you should listen to his 1st album "The Door"

I downloaded before one hour and someday I will buy it and Skala too.
Krilons Resa View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krilons Resa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2011 at 9:12am
I'm in the camp who, for the most part, can't get into the ECM sound at all. Sleepy
That shows you the power of music, that magician of magician, who lifts his wand, says his mysterious word and all things real pass away and the phantoms of your mind walk before you clothed in flesh.
idlero View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idlero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2011 at 9:15am
Originally posted by Krilons Resa Krilons Resa wrote:

I'm in the camp who, for the most part, can't get into the ECM sound at all. Sleepy

I guess it's an acquired taste, somehow I always felt much more comfortable with the ECM sound than fusion for example, maybe because I like also classical music and much of ECM's recent releases are kind of chamber jazz
I think the problem with a lot of the fusion music is that it's extremely predictable, it's a rock rhythm and the solos all play the same stuff and they play it over and over again ...
Ken Burns
harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harmonium.ro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2011 at 9:45am
Originally posted by snobb snobb wrote:

Originally posted by andyman1125 andyman1125 wrote:

IMO Blue Note is more "straight jazz", ECM is "different"-more Nu Jazz and Third Stream, also some World Fusion

True. I guess I like a lot of that straight jazz LOL

ECM at early 70s gave us all the line of excellent avant-garde jazz albums, recorded with their precise and crystal clear sound mix. Unfortunately very soon (mid-late 70s) they switched to less experimental more simplified music, mixing soft fusion with lot of folklore,what very soon became their "classic 80s" sound - safe well polished chamber world fusion very often on the border with terrible new age sound. 

To be honest, they tried to return back to a bit more experimental (for its time) music, Molvaers some early albums were released on ECM, and some nowadays their releases are a bit more adventurous than all others, but historically looking they made the way (during few decades) from indie experimental label with very own face and sound to commercially successful conformist European chamber contemporary jazz /world fusion/new age label (still having their face and sound - and you don't expect no surprises from their well-crafted and super safe saloon music, still of highest standard though).

ECM by no way is the label associated with progressive (or just innovative) nu jazz nowadays as well. Their few nu jazz releases usually present mix of contemporary jazz (or new age) with some nu jazz elements - saloon conformist music for younger consumers. But - of high quality as well.

Hmmm, I was about to contradict you, but then I remembered that while I probably only heard about 30 ECM albums (all of them top quality), you're the researcher kind of listener, who explores extensively. So you most likely know better then me what is the average of ECM releases outside the top ones.

Even still, I wouldn't call the mixing of jazz fusion and traditional music a "simplified music", at all. On the contrary, I find this mix one of the most outstanding ideas in the music of the last decades and paradigmatic to postmodern culture. Or maybe we're not talking about the same thing? I'm thinking of stuff like Garbareck's mix of Gregorian chant and jazz saxophone, Tibbett's mix of guitar ambient and Indian percussion, or Micus' mix of experimental sounds and Byzantine chant.

BTW I love Stephane Micus' Athos, where he does the mix with Byzantine chant, inspired by the daily cycles of a monastery from the Holy Mount Athos. That album is particularly more special to me as I've been to the Mount Athos (one of the most powerful experiences in my life, if not THE most).

BTW this film showing my brother's painting exhibition has music from Athos on the soundtrack:

Edited by harmonium.ro - 02 May 2011 at 7:53pm
Prog Geo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog Geo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2011 at 11:04am
Nice composition and congratulations to your brother! Also congratulations to you for being the curator.

Edited by Prog Geo - 01 May 2011 at 11:05am
Katje View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Katje Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2011 at 9:23pm

ECM at early 70s gave us all the line of excellent avant-garde jazz albums, recorded with their precise and crystal clear sound mix.

The section in bold was one of my big turnoffs regarding the label.

What 70's release would you considering excellent (this is just personal interest speaking)? For me Marion Brown's Afternoon of a Georgia Faun is a highlight from their earlier releases. It gets lumped in with the Free Jazz mob, but is really open, spacious free improvisation, closer to the Holland/Bailey album released a couple of years later (tho' far superior, imo). Put every inch of interesting (after a strong recommendation by a trusted friend) in enjoying Paul Bley's Open to Love to little avenge, mainly because of the recording, making the love I sort frost bitten 'round the edges.

Along the freer line the Music Improvisation Company LP's were passable, but were (generally speaking) put to shame by the LP's being release on fellow German label FMP (free music production).
Anyone got any opinions of Circle's Paris-Concert? 

Probably don't need to mention Conference of the Birds.

snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2011 at 2:31am
I understand your point of view on specific (technical) sound characteristics of early ECM releases (and possibly all ECM recordings in general), but it's more question of taste. At least, st early 70s they introduced their own very different sound as alternative to dominated raw sound of free jazz releases all around. 

While there were lot of Garbarek's music  mentioning above, for me excellent examples of early ECM releases are three first Garbarek's album on label (his debut was released not on ECM).Starting from Witchi Tai-To he turned to more folklore influenced and much easier accessible music and very soon became one of jazzy folklore/ jazzy new age  standard ECM sound icon. Similar with Jarrett ( ok, his best albums are not on ECM but on US labels), but starting from one of the most successful commercially ECM release Koln Concert he showed the way how to mix jazz and classic in one attractive accessible and commercially successful product. I believe this his album is one which seriously influenced later Contemporary jazz ( post-bop mix with smooth jazz, with only small amount of classical elements - to make music even more accessible).
snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2011 at 3:09am
Originally posted by harmonium.ro harmonium.ro wrote:

Hmmm, I was about to contradict you, but then I remembered that while I probably only heard about 40-50 ECM albums (all of them top quality), you're the researcher kind of listener, who explores extensively. So you most likely know better then me what is the average of ECM releases outside the top ones.

Even still, I wouldn't call the mixing of jazz fusion and traditional music a "simplified music", at all. On the contrary, I find this mix one of the most outstanding ideas in the music of the last decades and paradigmatic to postmodern culture. Or maybe we're not talking about the same thing? I'm thinking of stuff like Garbareck's mix of Gregorian chant and jazz saxophone, Tibbett's mix of guitar ambient and Indian percussion, or Micus' mix of experimental sounds and Byzantine chant.

BTW I love Stephane Micus' Athos, where he does the mix with Byzantine chant, inspired by the daily cycles of a monastery from the Holy Mount Athos. That album is particularly more special to me as I've been to the Mount Athos (one of the most powerful experiences in my life, if not THE most).

BTW this film showing my brother's painting exhibition has music from Athos on the soundtrack:

I believe the point of view on such music depends more on personal taste LOL.

My very personal opinion is melting jazz and (authentic) folklore was great concept, but there are not many really successful examples of it. I could mention McLaughlin and Shakti's first release as good example, but can hardly remember really interesting ECM world fusion release. Almost all Garbarek's albums I heard (I didn't listen all - can't stand all the line of his releases from late 70s,80,90s at all) are good example of successful (or not very successful) world fusion idea's commercialization. Not much "folk" elements in his music are authentic ("raw") folklore, and his jazz element is soaped and polished to make the final product toothless, comfortable and very conformist listening to European middle class (and I'm far not a leftist rebel, my political platform is seriously right from center LOL ). I like mix of that rare cases of jazz and folklore synthesis which are alive but not smells like CDs with adapted folklore for rich tourists in popular tourist destinations.

Speaking about Garbarek's Novus releases, I think first of all they have nothing too much to do with jazz at all. There were two Garbarek & Hillard Ensemble's concerts in Vilnius few weeks ago (fist was sold in three days and then the second,additional one was announced), I perfectly know my hometown jazz funs for years,no one of them was interested in these concerts at all. I saw the public leaving the St.Katrine church (where the concerts happened), there were great middle class families with grandmothers and grandfathers,children - wearing nice clothes (as they were in opera or in church during Easter). It's great such music exists and such concerts are excellent event for community, but they have nothing to do with jazz at all. We all know there a lot of great music exists, not all is jazz though. Speaking about jazz (look at this genre's roots) one of cornerstone idea is free spirit, spontaneity, improvisation. How much of these elements you can find in Garbarek's world fusion or ECM chamber jazz releases? It's more pleasant listening for adults when children are gone to sleepLOL .

O,Athos - I know this place . Two summers ago we spent two weeks in Ouranopolis - the last small town stell on Greek land, not "holy land" ,near Athos. I didn't visit Athos mountain though - as you know only men can visit this place, no women allowed cross "holy land" border (yes, we are speaking not about Iraq, but about nowadays Greece,which are one of European country). I've been on summer holidays with my wive, and had no intention to go there just alone (wasn't so much interested as well). I've seen some similar "holy" places before (catholic,orthodox and Muslim) ,all they have special aura for believers I think.

And I really like the the clip with paintings - looks peaceful and Greece-influenced.

Edited by snobb - 02 May 2011 at 3:11am
harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harmonium.ro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2011 at 6:07am

Exactly.

My very personal opinion is melting jazz and (authentic) folklore was great concept, but there are not many really successful examples of it. I could mention McLaughlin and Shakti's first release as good example, but can hardly remember really interesting ECM world fusion release. Almost all Garbarek's albums I heard (I didn't listen all - can't stand all the line of his releases from late 70s,80,90s at all) are good example of successful (or not very successful) world fusion idea's commercialization. Not much "folk" elements in his music are authentic ("raw") folklore, and his jazz element is soaped and polished to make the final product toothless, comfortable and very conformist listening to European middle class (and I'm far not a leftist rebel, my political platform is seriously right from center LOL ). I like mix of that rare cases of jazz and folklore synthesis which are alive but not smells like CDs with adapted folklore for rich tourists in popular tourist destinations.

I trust your word on that.

My problem with ECM is that while I love all the world jazz innovations they made, all the musicians from this area seem incapable of continuing to innovate upon their innitial idea. All the records sound the same. For some musicians I can take more (like for Steve Tibbetts), but for some I can't; when I heard a second album with jazz sax and Gregorian chant by Garbarek, I was very disapppointed - why would I be interested in more of the same when I can keep listening to Mnemosyne (the first one like this that I heard)? (But I wouldn't call Mnemosyne a commercialization of the world jazz idea, I find it radical and brilliant).

Speaking about Garbarek's Novus releases, I think first of all they have nothing too much to do with jazz at all. There were two Garbarek & Hillard Ensemble's concerts in Vilnius few weeks ago (fist was sold in three days and then the second,additional one was announced), I perfectly know my hometown jazz funs for years,no one of them was interested in these concerts at all. I saw the public leaving the St.Katrine church (where the concerts happened), there were great middle class families with grandmothers and grandfathers,children - wearing nice clothes (as they were in opera or in church during Easter). It's great such music exists and such concerts are excellent event for community, but they have nothing to do with jazz at all. We all know there a lot of great music exists, not all is jazz though. Speaking about jazz (look at this genre's roots) one of cornerstone idea is free spirit, spontaneity, improvisation. How much of these elements you can find in Garbarek's world fusion or ECM chamber jazz releases? It's more pleasant listening for adults when children are gone to sleepLOL .

I agree world jazz like ECM has very little to do with swing, ragtime, Kind Of Blue, all the quintessential jazz. But that doesn't make it bad or good, just different - I hope you're not judging it negatively based on that, just on musical and creative bases.

O,Athos - I know this place . Two summers ago we spent two weeks in Ouranopolis - the last small town stell on Greek land, not "holy land" ,near Athos. I didn't visit Athos mountain though - as you know only men can visit this place, no women allowed cross "holy land" border (yes, we are speaking not about Iraq, but about nowadays Greece,which are one of European country). I've been on summer holidays with my wive, and had no intention to go there just alone (wasn't so much interested as well). I've seen some similar "holy" places before (catholic,orthodox and Muslim) ,all they have special aura for believers I think.

Yes, holy places are not tourist destinations, it was a better idea not to go. They have their own logic and if you don't adher to it then the result can only be a misencounter. There are many places better for cultural tourism in Greece anyway, like the monasteries on the Meteora island, who are much more spectacular and have no religious code there.
snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2011 at 6:26am
^ Not ECM-related comment LOL - speaking about orthodox holy places, I visited some Serbian and Montenegrian old monasteries in mountains and on Adriatic islands, there is really that genuine holy spirit. Similar air exists in some old Russian churches  in the middle of nowhere,places forgotten by God and people. Same as with world fusion - commercialization process kills (free) spirit everywhere.
snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2011 at 6:35am
Originally posted by harmonium.ro harmonium.ro wrote:

My problem with ECM is that while I love all the world jazz innovations they made, all the musicians from this area seem incapable of continuing to innovate upon their innitial idea. All the records sound the same. For some musicians I can take more (like for Steve Tibbetts), but for some I can't; when I heard a second album with jazz sax and Gregorian chant by Garbarek, I was very disapppointed - why would I be interested in more of the same when I can keep listening to Mnemosyne (the first one like this that I heard)? (But I wouldn't call Mnemosyne a commercialization of the world jazz idea, I find it radical and brilliant).

I believe the main reason is ECM for years is successful commercial enterprise and they support every experimentation only till next successful formula (in their case - sound which could be sold in big quantities) is found. Than they are trying to produce as much variations of the formula found as possible (because of pure commercial reasons). When the formula doesn't work anymore, they try to find another profitable one. 

Very often it's not an artist's fault - label isn't interested in any experiments till artist's album sells well. Every change in sound could disappoint album's byers (listeners), label can't afford such risk. Small indie and non-commercial labels often release a lot of experimental music (big part of their releases are just garbage), but they have nothing to loose. Sometimes they release real brilliants. ECM were similar label at the beginning of their history, for last few decades they are successful business enterprise, producing high quality safe production :no big risk - no losses
Katje View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Katje Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2011 at 7:15am

I understand your point of view on specific (technical) sound characteristics of early ECM releases (and possibly all ECM recordings in general), but it's more question of taste. At least, st early 70s they introduced their own very different sound as alternative to dominated raw sound of free jazz releases all around. 

While there were lot of Garbarek's music  mentioning above, for me excellent examples of early ECM releases are three first Garbarek's album on label (his debut was released not on ECM).Starting from Witchi Tai-To he turned to more folklore influenced and much easier accessible music and very soon became one of jazzy folklore/ jazzy new age  standard ECM sound icon. Similar with Jarrett ( ok, his best albums are not on ECM but on US labels), but starting from one of the most successful commercially ECM release Koln Concert he showed the way how to mix jazz and classic in one attractive accessible and commercially successful product. I believe this his album is one which seriously influenced later Contemporary jazz ( post-bop mix with smooth jazz, with only small amount of classical elements - to make music even more accessible).

Yes, you are right, the production is just one facet of a larger whole which is taste. And it is an easy escape goat since I've not put much thought into my feelings towards the label as a whole; call it a willful ignorance if you will. So, in consideration of this, it has been interesting to read a bit of history behind the label.

I'll give Witchi-Tai-To at some stage thought it might not be soon.

Very often it's not an artist's fault - label isn't interested in any experiments till artist's album sells well. Every change in sound could disappoint album's byers (listeners), label can't afford such risk. Small indie and non-commercial labels often release a lot of experimental music (big part of their releases are just garbage), but they have nothing to loose. Sometimes they release real brilliants. ECM were similar label at the beginning of their history, for last few decades they are successful business enterprise, producing high quality safe production :no big risk - no losses

Not sure I agree with this (not, to some extent, being the artist fault), but I think that might be an entirely different discussion altogether WinkTongue
snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2011 at 7:19am
It's again just my very personal point of view - and I am not musician, but have 20+ yrs experience in business, so it's just a look from such point of view LOL
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2011 at 3:53pm

Originally posted by Krilons Resa Krilons Resa wrote:

I guess it's an acquired taste, somehow I always felt much more comfortable with the ECM sound than fusion for example, maybe because I like also classical music and much of ECM's recent releases are kind of chamber jazz

I agree with Krilons, but in a different way.... Actually I found that the albums are usually very well recorded, so the "sound" proper is not the issue, but the general artistic direction of the label - I've heard some 50 to 70 mostly 70's and 80's albums from Tibbets, Abercrombie, Metheny , Rypdal,  etc.... - including the typical ECM artworks (it's a detail, I know, but it's part of a signature), but generally it's rather bland and insipid to my ears. Indeed, this smooth jazz approach is often dangerously close to elevator music or even muzak  (well  I'm exagerating a tad to make my point) and often boooooores me that I find difficult not to pop the disc out of my deck before the end.

Probably my fave ECM release is the first Return to Forever album

However to me ECM albums (for their majority) should be really branded as fusion and smooth jazz (IMHO, anyway) , but indeed rather diifferent from the much more energetic JR/F or the 70's

-----------

Some people have hinted that ECM was for European Chamber Music, but the first two letter are from the owner's initials
idlero View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idlero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2011 at 4:03pm
In an interview in 2001 Manfred Eicher declared: “I have tried to remain true to what I see as jazz—and that means music that suggests adventure. Today we are in a neoclassical time, but that isn’t adventure to me. Originality is what I look for, something that moves me.”  I wouldn't call most of their recent releases  adventurous, but maybe in 10 years ME changed his perspective.

I think the problem with a lot of the fusion music is that it's extremely predictable, it's a rock rhythm and the solos all play the same stuff and they play it over and over again ...
Ken Burns
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2011 at 12:25am
What do you guys consider to be the top 10 ECM albums?

Edited by darkshade - 03 May 2011 at 12:32am
snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2011 at 1:49am
While ECM is label and not music genre, I believe there could be different lists of their releases depending on your musical taste. 

One ECM excellent album for all tastes I believe is Chick Corea's "Return To Forever", which isn't very characteristic ECM release musically, but demonstrates  their specific sound engineering well. Garbarek's Pepperbird is another ECM great release coming in mind.  
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2011 at 11:32am
Originally posted by darkshade darkshade wrote:

What do you guys consider to be the top 10 ECM albums?
I couldn't possibly come up with a list of 10 (I rarely do in any kind of way, anywayWink)

All I'm sure about is that the first RTF album is my fave

It's rather sad I must say that all the other ones are far behind, which doesn't mean that they're not worthy.... Jarrett's Koln concert would also be in..my top 10....

ECM disc are still sooooooooo frigging expensive too. Confused.... which doesn't help into discovering the catalogueStern Smile

Edited by Sean Trane - 03 May 2011 at 2:07pm
idlero View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idlero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2011 at 1:00pm
Some of my favourites:
Concert in Koln
Officium
Thimar
Ken Burns
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2011 at 1:23pm

Some of my favourites:
Concert in Koln
Officium
Thimar

That's Keith Jarrett right? Ive heard of it.

I also have the Chick Corea - "Return to Forever" album, though I should listen to it again, it's been a long time. I also have a few Dave Holland albums, they're all really good.

Is "Circle" with Corea, Holland, and Anthony Braxton an ECM recording?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 12>
  Share Topic