JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Jazz Music Lounges >Jazz Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

ECM

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 101112
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2020 at 3:40am
Bumping this thread. I didn't know a whole lot of ECM records until last year, outside of Pat Metheny's work and a handful of albums by Dave Holland, Gary Burton, Chick Corea, etc... At this point I've checked out most of the albums released in the 70s and early 80s, most of the JAPO releases as well. Definitely abstract and free in the first few years, then they sort of had their 'jazz-rock/fusion' era (72-73, lots of electric rhodes piano, funky grooves) and I more or less really enjoy just about every album from the mid-late 70s.

The 80s albums I've heard are pretty good overall, but there's some out-there ones as well. I still need to start exploring the later catalog, basically anything recorded after the 80s. I've only heard roughly a dozen or so albums and most of them come from the last 5 years. I see a lot of albums in this thread I need to check out. My favorite recent album has to be Anouar Brahem - "Blue Maqam", from 2017; pretty fantastic music there. In a way, that album led me to explore ECM because I wanted to check out more of Jack DeJohnette's work, who is on Blue Maqam.

I do find ECM's can sometimes be a little sleepy, especially all those solo piano and duet albums, but I do enjoy the world-fusion based releases a lot, and a big part of why I love to explore this label's catalog. Albums by Steve Tibbetts, Collin Walcott (Oregon, Ralph Towner), Egberto Gismonti, Stephan Micus, Codona, Bengt Berger, and Shankar, come to mind. Anything else along those lines?
snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2020 at 8:05am
among new Millennium releases I would recommend to check "new New York avant-garde" muisic, released by ECM, starting from Tim Berne SnakeOil,etc. It's quite modern take on well-composed original music played by improvisation masters, complex and accessible at the same time. ECM released all series of really strong albums in this field.Chris Potter is another impressive name on this list

Edited by snobb - 19 Aug 2020 at 8:07am
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2020 at 4:12pm
Thanks. Chris Potter? His playing drives me crazy on the Pat Metheny Unity albums he plays on, but for some reason doesn't bother me as much on the Dave Holland albums he's on, so I'll still see what's up. I'll check out that SnakeOil album.
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2020 at 6:05pm
I thought the Unity albums sounded pretty good, not the usual thing I would listen to, but the playing sounded top notch.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 101112
  Share Topic