0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Favourite Non-Ghibli Anime
    Posted: 27 Mar 2012 at 9:21am
Next time, perhaps I will do a Ghibli one, but for now, inspired by a poll at MMA I thought I'd run an anime poll and see what happens. I left a fair few out, but it's late and I'm tired hahaha

Edited by dreadpirateroberts - 27 Mar 2012 at 9:24am
We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
Reviews...
Matt View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2012 at 3:43pm
I only know two of them, Ghost In The Shell and Perfect Blue. Perfect Blue one of my kids bought quite a few years ago now. Anyway went for that one.
Matt
dreadpirateroberts View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2012 at 6:15pm
Nice, kinda a chilling film, huh? I found Ghost in the Shell to be pretty good but a little exposition-heavy at times.
Paprika for me because it is full of references to outside texts and is just pretty inventive. I do like a detective story too
Reviews...
Kazuhiro View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazuhiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2012 at 11:36pm
I liked Akira well in the 80s. As for the author of Akira, description looked splendid in comparison with the comics before it. The theme such as near future and SF and the supernatural power is still popular with readers. And probably Japanese various animated cartoons will be liked abroad.
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2012 at 11:59pm
^ Akira is pretty powerful, and the animation quality, wow, today it's still fantastic. Yeah, a classic theme, Kazu - I wonder why readers are drawn to visions of a negative, dystopian future?
Reviews...
Kazuhiro View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazuhiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2012 at 6:59pm
Originally posted by dreadpirateroberts dreadpirateroberts wrote:

^ Akira is pretty powerful, and the animation quality, wow, today it's still fantastic. Yeah, a classic theme, Kazu - I wonder why readers are drawn to visions of a negative, dystopian future?

I must write an article to explain this.LOL In any case I do not know whether my explanation is appropriate.

The mainstream and the theme of the animated cartoon in Japan were justice and bad people. As for the Japanese animated cartoon of the 60s and the 70s, justice always overthrows bad people. Children always enjoyed it to see it.

However, as for the Japanese animated cartoon, the contents gradually changed in the 80s. It became the animated cartoon which adult could enjoy. Justice and the specific gravity of the bad person become equal. What is the justice? What is the bad person? The author sends the message to people.

And before such comic that Akira was announced did not exist. However, the author of Akira let the contents of the comics contain all themes in the 80s. Decadent contents would look fresh for a reader. Including a style of painting.
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2012 at 6:58am
I like it, Kazu, well explained indeed!  I wonder if justice and the idea of the bad sort had a simultaneous treatment in other countries in the 80s (in anime?) What was Disney doing in the 80s? Or other studios, I should look in to it.
Reviews...
Kazuhiro View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazuhiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2012 at 6:50pm
I explained at least Japanese comics and the situation of the animated cartoon. Of course I did not know comics of the overseas 80s and the history of the animated cartoon.

Disney of the 80s in Japan was not popular very much. "Tron" slightly became the topic in Japan. However, the movie is not an animated cartoon. Or "Who Framed Roger Rabbit" was shown, too. However, there was a little popularity in Japan.

Tokyo Disneyland was started in Japan in 1983. The people spend much time at the place.
smartpatrol View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smartpatrol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2012 at 5:02pm
Summer Wars with The Girl Who Leapt Through Time in 2nd
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2012 at 5:35am
^ nice, I love how Summer Wars handles its large cast of characters, great stuff indeed. Here's some of them:

Reviews...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic