Poll Question: Your preferred album
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
6 [75.00%]
2 [25.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sketches of Spain VS Ole Coltrane
    Posted: 27 Mar 2012 at 9:08am
At this stage I'm not sure myself, but these two seemed like a fun match up on a thematic level, despite their obvious differences.

We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
Reviews...
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2012 at 10:04am
I don't own "Ole", maybe some day, but I do like "Sketches".
snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2012 at 11:05am
"Ole" is better than average Coltrane album for me (what is a lot knowing Coltrane standard ), and  "Sketches.." - between Miles' greats
Matt View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2012 at 3:48pm
Not often I go for a Gil Evans but went for "Sketches"
Matt
Hawkwise View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hawkwise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2012 at 5:24pm
Sketches for me love that album.............................
"If you're trying to be hip, be hip." - Miles Davis
dreadpirateroberts View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2012 at 6:23pm
So Miles - screaming to an early lead. I'll probably go for Miles in the end but I may have to give Ole another few spins and some more thought. It's one of my fav COltrane's.
Any one got an idea of a third album with a similar thematic idea that I could have included?
Reviews...
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2012 at 7:14pm
If you like the orchestrations on "Sketches", Miles Davis "Quiet Nights" is slightly similar, I'll try to think of something better and get back to you.

Edited by js - 27 Mar 2012 at 8:46pm
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2012 at 7:16pm
Cool, thanks John. I reckon there'd be a few out there. A song or two off 'Miles Ahead' have a similar feel too.
Reviews...
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2012 at 8:44pm
If you are looking for Spanish flavored jazz (not Latin Jazz mind you) then you might try Chick Corea's "Return to Forever" as well as many of his other albums. Chick comes back to the music of Spain often in his career.
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2012 at 8:47pm
George Benson's "White Rabbit" has some jazz goes to Spain music with some Don Sebesky orchestrations, at least I think it is that Benson album.
Kazuhiro View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazuhiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2012 at 9:15pm
I went to "Ole". The album thinks me to be of high quality like Giant Steps. The ballad album is a bit boring for me. However, Ole is a good album. I think Coltrane after having withdrawn from Miles group to have announced the good album successively immediately.
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2012 at 11:57pm
Originally posted by js js wrote:

George Benson's "White Rabbit" has some jazz goes to Spain music with some Don Sebesky orchestrations, at least I think it is that Benson album.

Yeah, definitely, one of my favs! Actually, that one isn't a bad fit thematically, especially with 'El Mar' among others - which is interesting for a 'pop-jazz' release, huh?

If you are looking for Spanish flavored jazz (not Latin Jazz mind you) then you might try Chick Corea's "Return to Forever" as well as many of his other albums. Chick comes back to the music of Spain often in his career.

I do have the first two RTF albums, which I do like a lot, the song 'Spain' is ace! I should have thought of them. Which of Chick's solo albums have that tone?

Reviews...
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2012 at 11:58pm
Originally posted by Kazuhiro Kazuhiro wrote:

I went to "Ole". The album thinks me to be of high quality like Giant Steps. The ballad album is a bit boring for me. However, Ole is a good album. I think Coltrane after having withdrawn from Miles group to have announced the good album successively immediately.

Yes, I agree, it was a great album on the heels of Miles'.  'Ole' is definitely up there with 'Giant Steps' and ' A Love Supreme' etc, definitely.

Edited by dreadpirateroberts - 28 Mar 2012 at 12:00am
Reviews...
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2012 at 12:02am
Originally posted by dreadpirateroberts dreadpirateroberts wrote:

Yeah, definitely, one of my favs! Actually, that one isn't a bad fit thematically, especially with 'El Mar' among others - which is interesting for a 'pop-jazz' release, huh?

I do have the first two RTF albums, which I do like a lot, the song 'Spain' is ace! I should have thought of them. Which of Chick's solo albums have that tone?

"My Spanish Heart"  Wink
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2012 at 12:22am
^ hahaha! Awesome, will check it out now
Reviews...
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2012 at 3:13am
Well, I'd have put  Mingus' Tijuana Moods for a third stooge Wink in this poll, as this one dates from 57 (but released only in 62), as opposed to 59 for SoS and Olé from 61....

SoS is as much a Gil Evans album (if not more) than it is a Miles album, so it's kind of a 2 on 1 against Trane

haven't decided yet what I'll vote.

my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicted musicians to crazy ones....

snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2012 at 3:31am

Corea's "My Spanish Heart" is closest to "Sketches Of Spain" of all Chick's solo and RTF releases (and extremely great album Smile)
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2012 at 5:36am
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Well, I'd have put  Mingus' Tijuana Moods for a third stooge Wink in this poll, as this one dates from 57 (but released only in 62), as opposed to 59 for SoS and Olé from 61....

SoS is as much a Gil Evans album (if not more) than it is a Miles album, so it's kind of a 2 on 1 against Trane

haven't decided yet what I'll vote.

Ah, another good choice - maybe one day I should add Mingus & Corea to a poll, The Best of Spain! Great suggestion, Sean. Yeah, I agree, Gil & Miles vs John at this point.
Reviews...
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2012 at 5:43am
Originally posted by snobb snobb wrote:

Corea's "My Spanish Heart" is closest to "Sketches Of Spain" of all Chick's solo and RTF releases (and extremely great album Smile)

I've added it to my list! Surprised I didn't think of it before, I remember looking into it years ago, but this is a nice reminder to get it
Reviews...
Cannonball With Hat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cannonball With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2012 at 3:42pm
Trane
Hit it on Five.

Saxophone Scatterbrain Blitzberg

Stab them in the ears.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic