JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Jazz Music Lounges >Jazz Music Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

jazz noire type of stuff

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote improvfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: jazz noire type of stuff
    Posted: 08 Feb 2012 at 8:00pm
Hello Jazz music forum i was wondering if you guys know of jazz music that sounds like it is from a forties mystery like dragnet. it has this eerie xylophone type sound if that gives a clue to what i am looking for
dreadpirateroberts View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2012 at 8:23pm
Hi!
This isn't quite what you're after, but MIngus' 'Black Saint & The Sinner Lady' has a bit of a film noir feel.
But I'll keep thinking about the vibes in the meantime
We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
Reviews...
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2012 at 8:32pm
I love jazz noire, you can get cool CD collections with titles like Crime Jazz, I own several. One album that comes to mind is Miles' soundtrack to the movie "Ascenseur L' Echufaud", a lot of the same songs are also on his album "Jazz Track". I'll try to think of some more and get back to you. Generally Mingus does have that noire sound in a lot of his music.

Edited by js - 08 Feb 2012 at 8:37pm
Matt View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2012 at 1:38pm
Bob Belden did one a while ago. "Black Dahlia"  uhhhh, 11 years actually Smile "who knows where the time goes"

Soundtracks would be a good place to look as well.

Ellington's, "Anatomy of A Murder' is another.
Matt
improvfan View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote improvfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2012 at 4:02pm
Originally posted by Matt Matt wrote:

Bob Belden did one a while ago. "Black Dahlia"  uhhhh, 11 years actually Smile "who knows where the time goes"

Soundtracks would be a good place to look as well.

Ellington's, "Anatomy of A Murder' is another.

The Black Dahilia is a great one. im sort of going a little bit out of topic but the noire i like also is the one with vibrophone tones and what you have suggested me. if they are both in one noire album that would be perfect. don't get the wrong idea, i love what you have suggested to me it is great! and thanks very much for the recommendations!!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic