JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Jazz Music Lounges >Jazz Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Miles Davis Appreciation Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Miles Davis Appreciation Thread
    Posted: 08 Feb 2012 at 2:44pm
We do not have one on Miles I noticed.

I think we are all fans due to the variety as much as the superb quality of many of his recordings. Even within the fusion alone there is a heap of variety within the studio albums. The Hard Bop, Modal, Post Bop and even those Gil Evans string jobs.LOL As you all know my least fave of his albums but still I do like "Sketches Of Spain" when in the mood. Anyway the one I have on now I think is a ripper. They all say transitional but wish he had done another similar.

Filles De Killimanjaro

When you play his albums post your thoughts. After all he is the greatest...............after "Pops"Wink You have to say Louis is the greatest. Jazz would not have been the same without him.

Mile Davis is and always will be the greatest though for modern Jazz in my opinion. I bet like me that Miles Davis was the first Jazz albums you ever bought.
Matt
dreadpirateroberts View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2012 at 3:25pm
Excellent idea, Matt.
KOB, Round Midnight & Birth... were my first three - given to me as presents so they were my first.
Most recently I played this classic

We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
Reviews...
Abraxas View Drop Down
JMA Collaborator
JMA Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abraxas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2012 at 3:57pm
I bought not too long ago Nefertiti, to have it in physical form. It's killer; so modern, some of it sounds like any 90s/00's post bop group trying to be original. 

I've yet to delve into his pre-First Quintet stuff, but yes, Davis and Coltrane were my entry to jazz. Kind of Blue and In a Silent Way, despite being worlds apart, both fascinated me, both masterpieces.

And I agree, Filles is great stuff! For me that and Miles in the Sky develop the advanced ideas of Nefertiti and Sorcerer even more, adding new ideas.

Edited by Abraxas - 08 Feb 2012 at 3:58pm
Matt View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2012 at 5:03pm

All those Quintet albums are great. Miles Smiles is my fave but ESP, Nerfertiti and Sorceror are close. I have Milestones going at the moment. I suppose my favourite Hard Bop album followed by Round Midnight. The actual first Miles album I bought was Bitches Brew.

Matt
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2012 at 6:07pm
I have many Miles albums, from his early days as a bopper to his very last recorded album. I probably have more albums by him than any other artist.
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2012 at 2:39am
Right now, I rangef rom Birth (still in my outgoing pile of CD) all the way until Agharta...

Once I'll have gotten rid of Birth (I need shelf space), my earliets Miles will be KoB and SoS, both from 59.

I was never really into 80's Miles, the main exception being that OST of The Hot Spot, with Taj Mahal and more
my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicted musicians to crazy ones....

Matt View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2012 at 1:19pm
Originally posted by js js wrote:

I have many Miles albums, from his early days as a bopper to his very last recorded album. I probably have more albums by him than any other artist.
I don't have his whole disco but close Wink . The last album that I bought was "Water Babies" about 10 years ago.

Giving this one a spin today. Cool  Not mad on George Benson's solo in the 2nd track but his guitar sounds great within the track.  You know what I mean. kinda confusingBig smile 

Wayne and Tony are magnificent.ClapClapClapClapClap Herbie, Ron and Miles aren't bad either Cool
Matt
Matt View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2012 at 1:28pm
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Right now, I rangef rom Birth (still in my outgoing pile of CD) all the way until Agharta...

Once I'll have gotten rid of Birth (I need shelf space), my earliets Miles will be KoB and SoS, both from 59.

I was never really into 80's Miles, the main exception being that OST of The Hot Spot, with Taj Mahal and more
Not mad on Birth, Sean. I am not that wrapped myself. I would rather hear his early stuff with Parker any day. I have mine in the garage with all the eighties albums. You need to get "Round Midnight" and the last four Prestige albums he did in one shot. "Walkin", "Steamin" etc.  "Bags Groove" is another early essential on Prestige. Sonny is in the band Cool

Edited by Matt - 09 Feb 2012 at 1:29pm
Matt
Matt View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2012 at 1:33pm
Does anybody have that massive Montreux Live set?  around 20 discs if I remember right. If so what do you think? I don't have it myself.  So much material.
Matt
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2012 at 6:54pm
Originally posted by Matt Matt wrote:

Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Not mad on Birth, Sean. I am not that wrapped myself. I would rather hear his early stuff with Parker any day. I have mine in the garage with all the eighties albums. You need to get "Round Midnight" and the last four Prestige albums he did in one shot. "Walkin", "Steamin" etc.  "Bags Groove" is another early essential on Prestige. Sonny is in the band Cool

I do like the 'Relaxin'' Prestige one a lot, the others are great too of course, but Relaxin' gets my vote out of the four. Leaving the studio chatter in is fun
Reviews...
Kazuhiro View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazuhiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2012 at 7:52pm
"Cookin'""Relaxin'""Workin'""Steamin'"

These albums are known as a marathon session. It is wonderful to have produced these albums in only two days.
Matt View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2012 at 4:03pm
They were great and and not a dud in them . I love Walkin' but I am a sucker for a ballad sometimes with the album opening, "It Never Entered My Mind" but the other albums have some great stuff. All Great. These albums have all those early standards that he played. He did it to finish up his contract with Prestige so he could start with Columbia. Amazing the quality of the albums. There would not have been too many takes.  Freshness I love.I'd rather have the odd small mistake. Anyway gives it that little bit of Live touch I suppose. Something about it. It is hard to explain exactly why but there is a difference.  I know one thing though when an album is over produced it can wreck it.

Goin' for Steamin'. It has "Salt Peanuts" and my fave Monk tune "Well You Needn't. you know de de de di di di.  Embarrassed couldn't help myself. Love ya Monk

Matt
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2012 at 9:19pm
One of my fav pieces from those albums - If I Were a Bell. Found a live one from the famous 61 concerts

Reviews...
Cannonball With Hat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cannonball With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2012 at 11:28pm
He's aight.
Hit it on Five.

Saxophone Scatterbrain Blitzberg

Stab them in the ears.
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2012 at 12:42am
Have we mentioned 'Sketches' here? It's probably in my top three or four Miles albums, and it's hard to narrow so many great ones down to that number, but it's up there for me.

I know it's not always met with universal love, but it has a quality.

Reviews...
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2012 at 12:29pm
The Miles Davis bug bit me recently, Ive been listening to a couple Miles albums here and there, and currently going way back to Birth of the Cool. Ive been particularly craving more of his non-fusion albums, and yesterday decided to pick up this album, the only Second Great Quintet album I didn't have. I expected no less than absolute quality, and for $6 bucks, I couldn't pass it up.

js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2012 at 12:33pm
^ excellent album, one of his best, goes good with "Nefertitti", both are two of his best.
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2012 at 9:50pm
I concur, and $6 that's great stuff all by itself
Reviews...
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2012 at 3:27am
Originally posted by dreadpirateroberts dreadpirateroberts wrote:

Have we mentioned 'Sketches' here? It's probably in my top three or four Miles albums, and it's hard to narrow so many great ones down to that number, but it's up there for me.

I know it's not always met with universal love, but it has a quality.

As I said in another thread SoS (with P&B and Miles Ahead) is IMHO more of a Gil Evans album than a Miles album

Apparently there is another (fourth) collab called Quiet Nights, that I didn't know about), but apparently it's not as good as the other three

my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicted musicians to crazy ones....

Artie25 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artie25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2012 at 7:54pm
ClapMy favorite Miles goes way back.The Walking Album with J.J<Johnson.Milt Jackson.I especially liked the tenor solo on that album.I admired all his changes through the years.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic