JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Jazz Music Lounges >Jazz Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Miles Davis Appreciation Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2012 at 8:00pm
Miles' music has been in my thoughts the last couple of days. Every time that happens, I wind up going into a Miles Davis craze. But it always takes a few days for me to start it up. I'm weird with the man's music.
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2012 at 8:02pm
Originally posted by Artie25 Artie25 wrote:

ClapMy favorite Miles goes way back.The Walking Album with J.J<Johnson.Milt Jackson.I especially liked the tenor solo on that album.I admired all his changes through the years.

I'll have to revisit those 50s Miles albums. I've been slowly making my way backwards from the 70s to the 60s, etc.
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2012 at 8:15pm
Originally posted by Artie25 Artie25 wrote:

ClapMy favorite Miles goes way back.The Walking Album with J.J<Johnson.Milt Jackson.I especially liked the tenor solo on that album.I admired all his changes through the years.

Sounds nice, I've been listening to J J's work with Miles on "Birth of the Cool".
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2012 at 9:36pm
I was at a party the other night, I stayed very late. Around 3:30am, someone put on Relaxin' and it was perfect music. 
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2012 at 9:27pm
I put Relaxin' on again tonight. I think it's my favorite 50s Miles album. I mean, Kind of Blue and Miles Ahead are classics, and pretty much untouchable, but Relaxin' is just perfect music every time it goes on. 
dreadpirateroberts View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2012 at 12:38am
I love that one too, definitely a wonderful album - If I Were a Bell is one of my all time fav pieces from Miles
We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
Reviews...
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2013 at 12:28pm
Get Up With It always leaves me in awe.
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2013 at 12:36pm
Miles pre-dated many future trends in music with that one.
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2013 at 1:43pm
He Loved Him Madly and Rated X are some progressive pieces of music. 
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2013 at 2:02pm
I like those two, I was going to list some more favorites, but really, almost the entire album is my favorite. I can remember listening to this way back and thinking this was like no other music I heard before, including all the avant-garde jazz up to that point.
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2013 at 2:06pm
Big Fun is also up there, with it's Indian tinges and deep improvs, but also funky as hell at times.

I've always thought those 2 albums were better than the more popular Bitches Brew, which is of course another masterpiece anyway.
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2013 at 2:15pm
I agree that they are better, "Brew" is a very talented jam session, but there isn't much vision or composition. Meanwhile, tunes like "Great Expectations" on "Big Fun" were a whole new thing that explored a different side to music.
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2013 at 3:04pm
Crazy how all the studio albums from In A Silent Way through Get Up With It came from
similar sessions from '69 to '72 with overlapping line-ups, yet each album has their own identity.
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2013 at 12:23pm
Miles Ahead has really grown on me since I bought it a month or so ago. Real beautiful big band music. Once again, best listened to at night, as with most Miles music. I definitely put it up there with Kind of Blue and Birth Of The Cool, as it has that mystical feeling that the other 2 albums have.
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2013 at 12:54pm
I have been listening to "Circle in the Round", lots of nice things from various eras.
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2013 at 6:15pm
Nothing like throwing on Relaxin' on a late, warm Spring afternoon.
cuteerian View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cuteerian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2013 at 3:29am
He's great Big smile
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2013 at 12:05pm
So I've been going through all my Miles albums lately, and I've gotten a new appreciation for the mid-70s albums Get Up With It, Dark Magus, Agharta, and Pangaea. I've been craving more, though. Are there any more albums from this era of Miles' electric era??
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2013 at 12:11pm
Parts of "Big Fun" are from that era. If you like the Pete Cosey psychedelic guitar workouts, the complete "On the Corner" box set has some killer psychedelic guitar jams that don't show up elsewhere.
There is also "Guinevere", a psychedelic masterpiece from "Circle in the Round".
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2013 at 12:15pm
Yea, I don't have any of the box-sets, so i guess that's a good avenue to try. On The Corner box set has better ratings than the album proper, hah. The Cellar Door Sessions seem good too, though that's more on the Live-Evil side of things I think.

But are there any more live stuff from that mid-70s era??
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic