JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Jazz Music Lounges >Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

How Many Jazz Albums Do You Have

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Poll Question: How many jazz albums do you have?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
0 [0.00%]
1 [1.69%]
2 [3.39%]
3 [5.08%]
9 [15.25%]
10 [16.95%]
10 [16.95%]
24 [40.68%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Polymorphia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2012 at 10:27pm
^And that's only his vinyl collection. Oddly enough, though, he doesn't have The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady. Had to go to Spotify to hear that one. I think that may end up being my first jazz purchases.
geneyesontle View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geneyesontle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2013 at 4:29pm
Around 20 jazz albums.
jazzoh View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jazzoh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2013 at 9:34am
I am slowly discovering jazz. Even though I had been to the North Sea Jazz Festival, I never really bought myself any albums untill I saw the album Nina Simone - The Diva Series from Verve. Just the coverart was enough for me to buy the album (and thus the rest of the series) and that was the beginning of my small jazz collection, about 50 now.

Hans
Amsterdam
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2013 at 12:17pm
Finding many cheap and/or free CDs recently has led to a substantial increase in how many jazz albums I have. I haven't even gotten around to listening to them all yet.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2013 at 4:45pm
I did a quick look through my iTunes and my 20-50 estimate was low.  Counting the albums that I have listed as jazz I have 90 albums.  I probably have at least that many more listed under jazz-rock/fusion so I guess I might have been able to go with the 200+.  
davidrydelnik View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidrydelnik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2013 at 2:41am
Over 1,000, but I am pretty sure under 10,000 but I could be wrong :/
Jazz Trumpeter, Vocalist, Trombonist, Guitarist...internet marketer and fitness geek. <a href="http://davidrydelnik.com" _fcksavedurl="http://davidrydelnik.com">
wideopenears View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wideopenears Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2013 at 5:00pm
I've got more than 2,000 albums--and I'm sure more than 50% of those are some sort of Jazz.....
Cannonball With Hat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cannonball With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2013 at 1:25pm
I've probably breeched the 200 mark now (counting jazz related things as well).
Hit it on Five.

Saxophone Scatterbrain Blitzberg

Stab them in the ears.
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2013 at 3:52am
I must say that as a VIP member of my library system, I'd say that my collection is the one of my library (this would means 10s of thousands)Approve....
Mind you, I'm more and more concerned about the perenity (sustainability) of that institution, because there is an amazing loss of members and borrowers (I guess the web is to blame)... to the point, that the institution's financial health is at stakes... Subsidies are shrinking and renting/borrowing fees are dwindlingUnhappy ...
Oh they've tried a few times re-liven interest, it works for a few months, then dwindles again.... New formulas are being tried, but I'm not optimistic
my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicted musicians to crazy ones....

js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2013 at 4:21am
Interesting, on a similar note, amazon.com has driven many small used record and CD shops out of business.
I like to trade vinyl and plastic, you can't do that online, only person-to-person at a shop.
We still have a couple shops here, at least two should survive because they have extended into running small indie labels and other things that should keep them around.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2013 at 6:38am
Interestingly enough, the B&M stores have stopped decreasing in Brussels are might even be a bit on the rise (two new stores  (one dealing new, the other used)...

But if the rock record stores numbers have now stablized (if only temporarily), and the classical record stores have never closed or decreased in numbers (to my knowledge, there are eight in Brussels - 1.4M people with suburbs ), the only store dealing jazz is actually a classical store (and it's not a downtown location and hasn't got a good/decent choice) >> the owner is the Deutsche Gramofon and ECM representative in Belgium...

Soooooooooo, if I want a jazz CD, my only solution is Amazon..... sadly Cry

=======================

Oddly enough, while my library system has a huge classical collection, it's always been a very low borrowing %age.  According to the stats, 50% of the classical borrowings are from people who do not have a specific classical music fan- profile (according to what else they borrow).  While 80% of the jazz borrowings are from "jazzheads" profiles.  
I guess classical music fans have found it a safer bet in buying directly (since the stuff is rarely new material) and are probably richer than other fans...

Edited by Sean Trane - 02 Aug 2013 at 6:42am
my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicted musicians to crazy ones....

js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2013 at 8:43am
Classical fans are usually looking for a very specific version of a piece, and they will pay big bucks to get it, while a library may have more generic versions of well known pieces.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2013 at 2:40am
OK, I was painting a fairly bad picture of Brussels' record store situation, but I must say that there are still two bigger chains aound, though they hardly are music & DVD only stores...

the old FNAC (a French cultural chain store that's been around since the 70's)-: they deal books, DVDs Cds, but also TVs, photowares, computer and phones. At one pint, they had an excellent selections in musuic, when there was big competition (a Fame and a Virgin megastores had opened in the late 90's, but both closed a few years later, while the FNAC remains... needless to say their superb music offer has gone down the drain with no competition anymore.>> I rarely go there (1 or 2x/year).
Oddly enough , the only other big store is the German chain Mediamearkt, (the other biggie is Saturn, but only in Antwerp so far) but these guys deal everything household-wise, not just cultural/entertaunement stuff >> this is very Germa, to find King Crimson"s LTIA boxset  some five meters away from fridges and dishwashers... and yert, these guys know how to present a good selection... you get some pretty acute stuff (like Truffaz or Braxton) next to Lady Gaga ... Never seems to stop wondering me.  >> However, not only is it difficuklt access downtown, I hate crowds, so I rarely go there as well (1x every two or three months)

That's why I say Amazon is my choice for jazz (usually after I heard it through my library system)

======================

as for my library system, yeah, they certainly won't buy every version of say Telemann's string quartet, but the  library-buying-guys know their stuff pertty well. It's not your normal local library... Les Médiathèques De Belgique is a national institution that's existed since the 30's (well Belgium is almost smaller than Lake Superior, and divided between the Flemish and the Frenchspeaking areas, so it's divided into two sections), with some/many local antennas (there are seven in Brussels alone, but every city above 80K people has at least one), with a huge central collection that dispatches once a week the reserved  Cds/vinyls/DVDS, pedagogic photos (yes, this helps the teachers as well >> they borrow free of charge) to the local antennas (who have their own selection to browse upon as well) >>> So if you're looking for a certain version of a symphony, you mifght have to search and dig in their catalogue, order /reserve it and wait one or two weeks before getting it, depending on how many people are interested before >> I could be six or eigth weeks before you get the latest ECM release, unless they bought more than one copy.
But I guess thuis is simply too long to wait nowadays for most peoplen, since you can get it almost instantly on the web

I have the luck to have an antenna some 200m away from my Brussels pas,and the ultra-luck that they've merged with a normal local iibrary (books only) >> Despite their many flaws, I fu...g love Brussels and BelgiumCoolApproveHugHeartWink

(BTW, France has something similar, but since the country is at a fairly different scale (size anf population wise), but I'm not aware The Netherlands (where I work) and Germany have similar systems..)

js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2013 at 10:08am
Well I'm not surprised that a European library would be better than one in the US. People here are more interested in gun ownership than cultural institutions, ha.

A lot of libraries here, and music school libraries, have sold off their record collections at big garage sales. When I lived in San Francisco I attended sales for the city college music school and picked up hundreds of modern composition LPs in near perfect condition.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2013 at 4:00pm
You know, I only think we're always a few years late on what happens in the US (except maybe for the gun ownership issue Tongue) .... And the same thing will happen to most libraries here in Western Europe(not the book libraries (despite the rise of kindle and other stuff), but the other medias...

Dematerialsation of cultural goods is of course handy, especially if you can pirate it,.for being more mobile (which is more and more likely that younger generations will have to even more than ours, if they want to work)....

Argonaught View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argonaught Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2013 at 10:35am
I can tell with reasonable accuracy how many I have on active listening duty: 90 to 100 and a couple more on their way :) -- mostly in the bop, modal, Afro-Cuban, third stream and fusion categories.

FromArmstrongtoZappa View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FromArmstrongtoZappa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2014 at 7:38pm
I have about 400 jazz lps.
www.FromArmstrongtoZappa.blogspot.com
Stopbyforjazz View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stopbyforjazz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2019 at 3:17pm
I'm somewhere between-250-300 lp's and still adding.
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2019 at 2:01am
Pushing about 100 total Jazz discs!
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2019 at 8:54am
Maybe 150
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic