JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements >Report errors & omissions here
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Mingus' Tijuana Moods from 62 or 57???

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mingus' Tijuana Moods from 62 or 57???
    Posted: 26 Jan 2012 at 3:57am
Well here, JMA says 62, and RYM says the same... but I think this is incorrect

But my BMG copy (rented from the library) says it was recorded in the summer of 57, and released that same year
my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicted musicians to crazy ones....

snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2012 at 4:16am
All reliable sources I can find say it was recorded in 1957 but for a first time released in 1962
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2012 at 5:21am
Yeah, even Allmusic says that (just checked now), although it's called on that site:
New Tijuana Moods (released on Bluebird/RCA)

Says the site

Recorded in 1957 for Bluebird but inexplicably shelved until 1962, New Tijuana Moods is one of Charles Mingus' most raucous and exciting sessions, an aural souvenir of his Mexican vacation with drummer Dannie Richmond. As Mingus recounts in the liner notes, his marriage had just broken up, and he was looking to drown his sorrows in as much debauchery as he could endure.

So I guess this is right.... but why does my BMG reissue say 57 as release date?

Edited by Sean Trane - 26 Jan 2012 at 5:21am
my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicted musicians to crazy ones....

snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2012 at 5:40am
First original vinyl album's reissue on CD (with bonuses) was named as NEW Tijuana Moods.

It's not so rare situation - later reissues (often released by global labels - not original ones) contains not very strict historical info. Major labels usually don't care much about it - they just trying to make some additional money from that archival material they don't now why someone still buying time to time LOL
Kazuhiro View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazuhiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2012 at 6:53pm
I do not have this album, but it may be listed in a liner note. After the recording of the album was carried out, the album should have been announced immediately. The sales agency of the album was "VIK" which was a subsidiary of RCA. However, I can suppose that label in itself might disappear in those days. Therefore, the listener had to wait on for five years until an album was announced formally.
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2012 at 2:35am
Holy crap, Shocked

BMG is really up with their first release dates...Angry

In the same BMG  series as the Tijuana Moods  that I was discussing earlier on in this thread, we've got the Brecker Bros' s/t debut album, now  stated as 73, whe,n it was originally released in 75...

The real stupid thing is that above the track list, the recording date specifies Jan 75.... and just below the tracklist, they show 1973 Arista & 1994 BMG

WTF?? A little seriousness, here...Confused

Oh well!! Keep on jazzin' JMASmile

Kazuhiro View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazuhiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2012 at 6:36pm
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Oh well!! Keep on jazzin' JMASmile

Thank you. SmileThe information about the debut album of The Brecker Bros. seems to be almost unified. It will be approximately really certain that it was released in 1975 by Arista. And I may be often confused when I really add various albums.

It is difficult to find the information about the album of an old musician. When a recorded day charge account and a released day charge account do not become clear. Because copyright may move about the rerelease, the label varies, but the original information varies by information. Anyway, we adopt original information as a rule.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic