Forum Home Forum Home >Topics not related to music >General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

PayPal

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: PayPal
    Posted: 22 Jan 2012 at 2:46pm

What do you all think is a great thing, as is, or if like me you think that they really should have competition. PayPal seem to forget that you are the customer using their process for payment which if one notices they keep changing their rules to suit themselves.

Eg, Do you know they only give 45 days for a complaint to be lodged ( Ebay same). What about International customers. It takes about that time before you really get concerned to start complaing if just standard air mail.
Lucky here you can by -pass them and lodge a complaint through your bank and they seem to get them cough up. They give the guarantees that you will not be out of pocket and they should stick to them.

I have also had them try to change my payment method because it suited them due to less charges through certain accounts which are at their end not mine.

I reckon they need competition and credit cards are not the only answer but maybe we need another payment process company. You feel they are making a law unto themselves due to lack of competition.

Monopolies Unhappy
Matt
snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2012 at 2:51pm
Never used PayPal at all - have no opinion Embarrassed
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2012 at 3:09pm
I try to avoid all electronic payment forms, real money is the way of the anarchist. The revolution will be fueled with hard cash and bartering. Cool
Matt View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2012 at 3:14pm
I know what you mean John.  They are all from Babylon those companys
Matt
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2012 at 3:26pm
Ebay moving away from money orders is one of the many reasons I quit using ebay.
Ebay was fun at first, but the end result has been that garage sales and thrift stores have lost a lot of their naive charm and good finds as well.
Matt View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2012 at 3:35pm
Originally posted by js js wrote:

Ebay moving away from money orders is one of the many reasons I quit using ebay.
Ebay was fun at first, but the end result has been that garage sales and thrift stores have lost a lot of their naive charm and good finds as well.
My wife now uses the local ones we have here these days (avid junk collector LOL). All the kids are telling me lately You Tube is not the same anymore as heaps of stuff has been removed. I only really ever look at it for the site. 
Matt
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2012 at 3:42pm
Never had a problem with Paypal, but haven't used them as much recently... been cutting back on my web shopping
my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicted musicians to crazy ones....

js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2012 at 3:42pm
Re Matt:
Yeah, I've noticed the kids complaining about changes to youtube, as a source for learning songs, it still works great for me.
Whats sad is the decline of myspace as a tool for musicians and bands. Its like the owner has given up and nobody is in charge of the place anymore, it used to be the best resource for finding new bands. The first wrong step was when they got rid of all the band searches by genre etc.

Edited by js - 22 Jan 2012 at 3:43pm
Matt View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2012 at 3:50pm

Re Matt:
Yeah, I've noticed the kids complaining about changes to youtube, as a source for learning songs, it still works great for me.
Whats sad is the decline of myspace as a tool for musicians and bands. Its like the owner has given up and nobody is in charge of the place anymore, it used to be the best resource for finding new bands. The first wrong step was when they got rid of all the band searches by genre etc.
Facebook killed them here. Everybody except me had a My Space page.Smile I did not want to bore the whole internet.
Matt
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2012 at 3:53pm
Facebook is creepy, it connects you to too many people too quickly, no thanks, I don't care what the losers at my old high school are up to. Ermm
Abraxas View Drop Down
JMA Collaborator
JMA Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abraxas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2012 at 4:05pm

Re Matt:

Now there's SoundCloud and BandCamp, although the latter also offers paying, which can be seen as a pseudo-itunes or something in that vein, just better looking.
Matt View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2012 at 4:06pm
[QUOTE=js]Facebook is creepy, it connects you to too many people too quickly, no thanks, I don't care what the losers at my old high school are up to. Ermm I go on about once a week with my belated birthday greetings. They send a notification about 5 days before and I always forgetEmbarrassed nieces, nephews, and the odd family member not only friends get the treatment from me.  "How could you forget"  those words ring in my ears from the past LOL I forgot our wedding anniversary again this year.
Matt
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2012 at 4:09pm
Originally posted by Abraxas Abraxas wrote:

Re Matt:

Now there's SoundCloud and BandCamp, although the latter also offers paying, which can be seen as a pseudo-itunes or something in that vein, just better looking.
I've worked with those sites some, the old myspace had real streamlined ways for similar bands to hook up and working with your site was a cinch. We run into complications on soundcloud.
Matt View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2012 at 4:17pm
Originally posted by Abraxas Abraxas wrote:

Re Matt:

I will check them out Pablo. I think I have heard my son mention SoundCloud. I rarely watch clips even with all the music channels on TV as well these days. Still see a few though with others watching in the house but that is usually walking by and if I see something that grabs me I will watch it. One problem though if I like it they will change the channel Unhappy Music Documentarys though I love or any doco normally
Matt
Kazuhiro View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazuhiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2012 at 6:40pm
I have not used PayPal. A problem for a leak and business of the information has been pointed out before in Japan. Is there often such a case?
dreadpirateroberts View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2012 at 7:18pm

Facebook is creepy, it connects you to too many people too quickly, no thanks, I don't care what the losers at my old high school are up to. Ermm

Seconded. I have an alias on there for keeping in contact with a couple overseas friends - but then, e-mail does the same thing so I don't know why I bother.
We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
Reviews...
DamoXt7942 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DamoXt7942 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2012 at 3:48am
Frequently used PayPal and had no problem around me ... I'm afraid I've assumed so. Exclamation
--

DamoXt7942

Guilt Is A Great Motivator.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2012 at 5:48am

That's moe or less what I think as well, although there are some people I'd like vto know what they became....Sometimes you lose sight/contact of people you shouldn't have

But I won't go to these kind of sites , just for that....

I see how they are prying into your life

for ex: The fiscal civil servant (IRS, if you wish) people in Europe are checking out to see if you didn't post piccies of your undeclared ferrari, etc... I mean YOU published the picture, right???

noooooooooo, thanks

my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicted musicians to crazy ones....

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2012 at 5:53am
Originally posted by Kazuhiro Kazuhiro wrote:

I have not used PayPal. A problem for a leak and business of the information has been pointed out before in Japan. Is there often such a case?

Never in my case...

The only time I've ever heard of a pproblem, it was a buddy that respondeed to an e-mail that asked him to check his info and codes, giving him a link to do so

needless tio say, that things went awry...
He claims Paypal refinded him his €800.00 fully, but will not do so again... he's warned, now
Paypal wil NEVER send you those e-mails.... they tell you right away when you sign up.

a

darkprinceofjazz View Drop Down
JMA Jazz Reviewer
JMA Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkprinceofjazz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2012 at 8:40am
Originally posted by Matt Matt wrote:

What do you all think is a great thing, as is, or if like me you think that they really should have competition. PayPal seem to forget that you are the customer using their process for payment which if one notices they keep changing their rules to suit themselves.

Eg, Do you know they only give 45 days for a complaint to be lodged ( Ebay same)

Monopolies Unhappy
That 45 day thing can be a real problem too, I once had an order on eBay, 300 worth of merchandise that never arrived, It was insured, anyone who knows anything about USPS insurance claims, they won't even let you file a claim for 30 days in most cases, then if your lucky, you get a first response 2 weeks after that, the guy I purchased from kept begging me to give him time on the USPS claim, but on the 44th day I had to file the claim on PayPal, USPS rejected his claim he said, I got my money back through PayPal, But I was thinking this guy may have been gaming the system some way, holding me off untill that 45 days, I don't know if he really did for sure. but never allow that 45 days to expire no matter what.

Edited by darkprinceofjazz - 14 Feb 2012 at 8:41am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic