JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Topics not related to music >General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The Bookshelf

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2012 at 10:01pm
^ heard that one described as a cross between Dickens and Agathie?

Just a short one for me - really enjoying the use of electricity in the story

Edited by dreadpirateroberts - 27 Jul 2012 at 10:03pm
We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
Reviews...
idlero View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idlero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2012 at 11:33am
^yes,you can put it that way too, but the themes of the satire are contemporary
I think the problem with a lot of the fusion music is that it's extremely predictable, it's a rock rhythm and the solos all play the same stuff and they play it over and over again ...
Ken Burns
dreadpirateroberts View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2012 at 2:42am
Originally posted by idlero idlero wrote:

^yes,you can put it that way too, but the themes of the satire are contemporary

It sounds good, I'll have to try and find it next time I visit a store.

Now, about to start

Edited by dreadpirateroberts - 29 Jul 2012 at 2:43am
Reviews...
idlero View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idlero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2012 at 11:26pm

interesting
I think the problem with a lot of the fusion music is that it's extremely predictable, it's a rock rhythm and the solos all play the same stuff and they play it over and over again ...
Ken Burns
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2012 at 3:35am
More Murakami

Reviews...
snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2012 at 3:58am
one of my first Murakami's book Smile
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2012 at 12:28am
Yeah! Is that one of the ones you've read in multiple languages? Have you read his latest, Slava?
Reviews...
snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2012 at 1:27am
Didn't read Murakami's books during last few years, not sure if he wrote something new during that period (still didn't read all his previous books as well)
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
JMA Special Collaborator
JMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2012 at 3:21pm
I hadn't dropped in on this thread yet and it reminded me that I really don't read books anymore.  It's not a deliberate choice just a fact of life.  I still have a subscription to the local paper.  I lost about 75% of my book collection in the flood 2009 including The Real Frank Zappa Book and Miles Davis' Autobiography.  There are a couple of things out there that I might indulge in of a political bent if I had the money.
snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2012 at 3:39pm
I have my The Real Frank Zappa Book  Cool
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
JMA Special Collaborator
JMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2012 at 4:00pm
That's a damn good read. :)  If you  haven't read Miles Auto, you should.  It's a really good read, too.  Joe Jackson's A Cure For Gravity is also quite good.  It's a shame that all three of these were flood victims but the life stories remain in my head. Big smile
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2012 at 5:45pm
I have the Miles autobio as well as several bios on him as well.
Abraxas View Drop Down
JMA Collaborator
JMA Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abraxas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2012 at 9:33pm
The two recent books I've read were:

Just Kids by Patti Smith
My Last Sigh by Luis Buñuel

Both autobiographic, both in english, and man, both totally incredible. Probably I'm starting to realize the magic of autobiographies and such books. But maybe it's just that these two specifically are just incredible persons and have had such fascinating lives. 
Both highly recommended.
bytor2112 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bytor2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2012 at 12:31am
Recently finished this:

It was pretty good, just took me a couple nights to read. At points it was a little depressing, led to a little loss of sleep.LOL But overall it was a good read, recommended to any classic sci-fi lover.
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2012 at 2:16am
^ sounds good, Cale, I've never come across that one

Just finished this one again:

Reviews...
idlero View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idlero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2013 at 4:05am
just finished Murakami's  1st book of 1Q84
I liked it, but not in my top three Murakami books

Ken Burns
idlero View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idlero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2013 at 12:51pm
Finished the 1Q84  trilogy, quite enjoyable , a bit too long.

Ken Burns
Abraxas View Drop Down
JMA Collaborator
JMA Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abraxas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2013 at 2:50pm
Finishing:

Abraxas View Drop Down
JMA Collaborator
JMA Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abraxas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2013 at 7:10pm
^finished!

Extremely well done and thoughtful concerning the past decade (00s) and what's-to-come of music, all in a long 400 pages analysis with detailed examples. This book is not probably for "closed" minded Prog fans, but there's a lot in here that answers or deals with Prog fans issues and concerns with music, about innovation and real "progression".

Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2013 at 5:55am
Cool, sounds great. Is there an English language version too?
Reviews...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic