Forum Home Forum Home >Topics not related to music >General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The Bookshelf

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idlero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2012 at 10:20am

I think the problem with a lot of the fusion music is that it's extremely predictable, it's a rock rhythm and the solos all play the same stuff and they play it over and over again ...
Ken Burns
Stooge View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2012 at 12:57pm
Last week, I finished reading "Slaughterhouse Five" by Kurt Vonnegut, and really enjoyed it.  I'll be sure to read more of his work in the future.

Lately, I've been reading some comic books (I know, they don't really count), but also some sci-fi novels.  I recently read some of the short stories in the Harlan Ellison collection "I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream".  I am about to start reading "Renaissance" by A.E. van Vogt.
idlero View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idlero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2012 at 2:56pm
^ I really like Vonnegut!
I think the problem with a lot of the fusion music is that it's extremely predictable, it's a rock rhythm and the solos all play the same stuff and they play it over and over again ...
Ken Burns
dreadpirateroberts View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2012 at 9:07pm
Originally posted by Stooge Stooge wrote:

Last week, I finished reading "Slaughterhouse Five" by Kurt Vonnegut, and really enjoyed it.  I'll be sure to read more of his work in the future.

Lately, I've been reading some comic books (I know, they don't really count), but also some sci-fi novels.  I recently read some of the short stories in the Harlan Ellison collection "I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream".  I am about to start reading "Renaissance" by A.E. van Vogt.

They totally count I reckon Smile  Sounds good, and the Slaughterhouse Five is a classic.
One of the last sci-fi I read was a collection too, and it's got some great stuff in it

We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
Reviews...
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2012 at 9:15pm
When I was young I read all the Phil Dick books, great stuff.
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2012 at 6:59am
^ He was amazing, huh? Especially live 'Do Androids...' but some of his shorts are just as good, or better. Still haven't quite got round his alternate history one, Man in the Highcastle? Can't quite recall the title.
Reviews...
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2012 at 8:38am
That was one of the first ones I read, I believe it is called "the Man in the High Castle" but it has been a very long time since I read it.
Stooge View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2012 at 9:24am
My brother has a bunch of PKD's stuff.  I'm sure I'll dip into them some day.
Abraxas View Drop Down
JMA Collaborator
JMA Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abraxas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2012 at 10:24am
Began 'El Tunel' (the tunnel) by Ernesto Sabato, a classic of Argentine literature. Short and instantly grabbing, highly recommended if you want something easy and fast to read, yet with originality and thoughtful.
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2012 at 9:47pm
Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman - probably my favourites of his, great stuff, inventive fellow - often quite funny too

Reviews...
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2012 at 8:33pm
Reviews...
Abraxas View Drop Down
JMA Collaborator
JMA Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abraxas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2012 at 9:28pm
Oh, I'm halfway through:

idlero View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idlero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2012 at 2:11am

Ken Burns
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2012 at 7:24am
^ that sounds like an interesting one

Just starting, haven't read this one (or any of them) for about fifteen years

Reviews...
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2012 at 10:54am
Taking a break from Earthsea

Reviews...
Abraxas View Drop Down
JMA Collaborator
JMA Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abraxas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2012 at 2:34pm
Since Hesse's Demian, I've read:

Steppenwolf by Hesse
Juguete Rabioso by Roberto Arlt
Surrealist poem collection
Waiting for Godot by Samuel Beckett

Halfway through:
The Plague by Camus
Para la Libertad by Miguel Hernandez (poems)
idlero View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idlero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2012 at 9:01am

started

Ken Burns
idlero View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idlero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2012 at 8:43am
Originally posted by idlero idlero wrote:

started

finished
very enjoyable, SF satire with enough action to please miscellaneous tastes
Ken Burns
idlero View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idlero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2012 at 8:45am
now reading

Ken Burns
idlero View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idlero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2012 at 3:08pm

pretty entertaining
Ken Burns
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic