JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Topics not related to music >General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The Bookshelf

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Bookshelf
    Posted: 21 Jan 2012 at 12:47am
So, what's everyone been reading of late? Good or disappointing, post your thoughts, mini reviews and recommendations/warnings here!

Is on the go at the moment. I first read this at Uni, and it was stunning. The pop culture references are always enjoyable, but Murakami has such a surrealist approach to his detective-kinda stories, they're amazing.
We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
Reviews...
Kazuhiro View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazuhiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2012 at 12:57am
I remembered that I said that Slava had read a book of Haruki Murakami before. Slava may have a lot than me about Murakami.Smile However, I knew that his book was translated in various countries.Smile
Kazuhiro View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazuhiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2012 at 1:03am
Whodunits are popular very much now in Japan. There is often the contest of that purpose, too. The reader depends on the information and purchases a book. I often read such a book, too. The overseas whodunit which I read before was Dickson Carr and Agatha Christie.
dreadpirateroberts View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2012 at 1:41am
Originally posted by Kazuhiro Kazuhiro wrote:

I remembered that I said that Slava had read a book of Haruki Murakami before. Slava may have a lot than me about Murakami.Smile However, I knew that his book was translated in various countries.Smile

Ah! Another Murakami fan, excellent!  Yes, many translations, a popular writer indeed. I've translated a few haiku (which is only a few words) but imagine translating an entire book across cultures. Difficult indeed.

Originally posted by Kazuhiro Kazuhiro wrote:

Whodunits are popular very much now in Japan. There is often the contest of that purpose, too. The reader depends on the information and purchases a book. I often read such a book, too. The overseas whodunit which I read before was Dickson Carr and Agatha Christie.

Ah, Murder on the Orient Express!    Actually, Kazu - another English mystery writer than is pretty good is Caroline Graham - her books started the 'Midsomer Murders' TV series
Reviews...
idlero View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idlero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2012 at 1:42am
finished

reading now

Edited by idlero - 21 Jan 2012 at 1:45am
I think the problem with a lot of the fusion music is that it's extremely predictable, it's a rock rhythm and the solos all play the same stuff and they play it over and over again ...
Ken Burns
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2012 at 1:46am
^ classic pair!

idlero, have you read 'Norwegian Wood'? If so, what did you think of his so-called 'non-surreal' novel?

Edited by dreadpirateroberts - 21 Jan 2012 at 1:46am
Reviews...
Kazuhiro View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazuhiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2012 at 1:46am
Originally posted by dreadpirateroberts dreadpirateroberts wrote:

Ah, Murder on the Orient Express!    Actually, Kazu - another English mystery writer than is pretty good is Caroline Graham - her books started the 'Midsomer Murders' TV series

Thank you, Ash. I intend to look for it whether a book of Caroline Graham is sold.
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2012 at 1:49am
Smile Perhaps try find The Killings at Badger's Drift Kazu - her first novel
Reviews...
Kazuhiro View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazuhiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2012 at 1:58am
OK. Thank you again.Smile
idlero View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idlero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2012 at 3:52am

^ classic pair!

idlero, have you read 'Norwegian Wood'? If so, what did you think of his so-called 'non-surreal' novel?

read it, I prefer his surreal novels(although I usually don't like surreal literature), "Kafka on the shore" being my favourite until now
I think the problem with a lot of the fusion music is that it's extremely predictable, it's a rock rhythm and the solos all play the same stuff and they play it over and over again ...
Ken Burns
snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2012 at 3:55am
I have read  almost every Murakami book ( or better to say - almost every translation I could find, own his books in English,Lithuanian and Russian) LOL. Even have read his non-fiction novel about gas attack in Tokyo subway....

One of my most beloved modern writers
Abraxas View Drop Down
JMA Collaborator
JMA Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abraxas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2012 at 11:36am
Well, I just finished 'Moth's by Karl Manders. Really liked it because I was extremely identified with the protagonist, the kid, who is also Dutch and loves to run. But the book deals about two parallel stories, the father who ends up going to east Europe in the second world war period, while his only child, grows with his aunt in Holland. Really moving and detailed.

I've already began Antonin Artaud's 'Van Gogh, The Man Suicided by Society' so far, it's great.
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2012 at 8:25am
Originally posted by idlero idlero wrote:

^ classic pair!

read it, I prefer his surreal novels(although I usually don't like surreal literature), "Kafka on the shore" being my favourite until now

That's interesting that you don't like a lot of surrealist stuff - it just goes to show how power his work can be, huh? I still haven't got to Kafka, though it's on my list. Curious as to why's it your fav?

Originally posted by snobb snobb wrote:

I have read  almost every Murakami book ( or better to say - almost every translation I could find, own his books in English,Lithuanian and Russian) LOL. Even have read his non-fiction novel about gas attack in Tokyo subway....

Wow! In three translations, Slava? How do they differ from version to version, in your opinion?

Originally posted by Abraxas Abraxas wrote:

Well, I just finished 'Moth's by Karl Manders. Really liked it because I was extremely identified with the protagonist, the kid, who is also Dutch and loves to run. But the book deals about two parallel stories, the father who ends up going to east Europe in the second world war period, while his only child, grows with his aunt in Holland. Really moving and detailed.

I've already began Antonin Artaud's 'Van Gogh, The Man Suicided by Society' so far, it's great.

Split narratives are pretty cool - nice way for a writer to kinda place two books into one in a way. Is The Man Suicided by Society a bio more fiction?

Reviews...
snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2012 at 8:52am

[QUOTE=dreadpirateroberts]  

[QUOTE=snobb]I have read  almost every Murakami book ( or better to say - almost every translation I could find, own his books in English,Lithuanian and Russian) LOL. Even have read his non-fiction novel about gas attack in Tokyo subway....

Wow! In three translations, Slava? How do they differ from version to version, in your opinion?

I expect it would be most interesting to read in original, because one of main thing I love in his books is that Japanese atmosphere - not touristic, but cultural, philosophical if you want. Unfortunately I don't speak/read in Japanese Confused LOL. I For me the  best translation is that one which brings most authentic atmosphere, it is if when reading I feel like I'm reading Japanese writer Murakami, not someone telling me his version of Murakami's book.
Tried to read one his book on Serbian as well, but was disappointed by translation (or my language knowledge wasn't good enough LOL)
idlero View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idlero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2012 at 9:18am
Originally posted by snobb snobb wrote:

[QUOTE=dreadpirateroberts]  

[QUOTE=snobb]I have read  almost every Murakami book ( or better to say - almost every translation I could find, own his books in English,Lithuanian and Russian) LOL. Even have read his non-fiction novel about gas attack in Tokyo subway....

I expect it would be most interesting to read in original, because one of main thing I love in his books is that Japanese atmosphere - not touristic, but cultural, philosophical if you want. Unfortunately I don't speak/read in Japanese Confused LOL. I For me the  best translation is that one which brings most authentic atmosphere, it is if when reading I feel like I'm reading Japanese writer Murakami, not someone telling me his version of Murakami's book.
Tried to read one his book on Serbian as well, but was disappointed by translation (or my language knowledge wasn't good enough LOL)

I'm really curiuos how much of the atmosphere in his books is Japanese ,  sometimes I got the impression that it isn't  a specific japanese identity maybe because most of the cultural references quoted in his books are western and not japanese
Ken Burns
idlero View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idlero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2012 at 9:25am

^ classic pair!

That's interesting that you don't like a lot of surrealist stuff - it just goes to show how power his work can be, huh? I still haven't got to Kafka, though it's on my list. Curious as to why's it your fav?

Hard to explain , maybe because it was the first Murakami book I read and I was blown away by his style, anyway I really liked the story and in my opinionthis book has a special beauty...I plan to reread it in romanian translation, first time I read it in english.
Ken Burns
idlero View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idlero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2012 at 9:25am
Has anyone read his IQ84 trilogy?
Ken Burns
Abraxas View Drop Down
JMA Collaborator
JMA Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abraxas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2012 at 12:09pm

Originally posted by Abraxas Abraxas wrote:

Split narratives are pretty cool - nice way for a writer to kinda place two books into one in a way. Is The Man Suicided by Society a bio more fiction?

It's an, how do I say it, opinion? essay? So far I'm reading the preface by the editor, which takes half part of the book, and explains Artaud's life, work, philosophy and much of the meaning of the book. 
I find it to be extremely interesting, since I share some of the basic ideas that Artaud had, that of trying to escape from social masses, which is just a tiny and simple part of what Artaud actually means.
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2012 at 7:05pm
^ Cool, I reckon I'll keep an eye out for it, Pablo - it sounds good and I'm in a critical-analysis-essay kinda mood
Reviews...
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2012 at 7:10pm

^ classic pair!

Hard to explain , maybe because it was the first Murakami book I read and I was blown away by his style, anyway I really liked the story and in my opinionthis book has a special beauty...I plan to reread it in romanian translation, first time I read it in english.

I'll bump it up in the list and pick it up sooner I think - I know what you mean, I feel the same way about the Wind-Up Bird because it was my first of his.

Interested to hear what you think about any differences you spot between the feel of both versions, when you have re-read it. Translation is a fascinating art.

Has anyone read his IQ84 trilogy?

Not yet, but it's on my list.
Reviews...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic