JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Jazz Music Lounges >Jazz Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The Charles Mingus Appreciation Society

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Charles Mingus Appreciation Society
    Posted: 12 Jan 2012 at 3:28am
Setting up a space where we can discuss and share stuff about/on/by 'The Angry Man of Jazz' himself.

Of late I've been listening to Mingus Plays Piano a lot and thought I should recommend it to any fans who haven't come across it, or anyone who likes solo piano. As I only just got this album very recently it's pretty exciting to hear him just playing piano.

Here's the first piece from the album.

Edited by dreadpirateroberts - 12 Jan 2012 at 3:29am
We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
Reviews...
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2012 at 3:45am
I like the album "Money Jungle" that he did with Max Roach and Ellington. I just bought "The Clown", still checking it out. His big band music is awreet.
dreadpirateroberts View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2012 at 3:54am
Money Jungle especially sounds interesting - do we have that here under Roach or Ellington?  I haven't got The Clown yet, still only own 4 of his - all Post Bop - though the Black Saint... certainly has a big-ish band feel.

EDIT: Found it, that sounds like one hell of an album!

Edited by dreadpirateroberts - 12 Jan 2012 at 4:10am
Reviews...
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2012 at 8:09am
I just rented from my library sustem  the Epitath DVD, a big-band tribute to one of his last oeuvre, discovered after his death.... impressive stuff...
my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicted musicians to crazy ones....

js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2012 at 8:56am
Originally posted by dreadpirateroberts dreadpirateroberts wrote:

Money Jungle especially sounds interesting - do we have that here under Roach or Ellington?  I haven't got The Clown yet, still only own 4 of his - all Post Bop - though the Black Saint... certainly has a big-ish band feel.

EDIT: Found it, that sounds like one hell of an album!
I guess you found it, its under Ellington, I have a review up.
Matt View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2012 at 1:21pm
I am not mad on Money Jungle but "Mingus Ah Um", I like. I only have three of his albums. I was actually looking at Clowns too recently on vinyl. I have not heard that many of his albums, It is getting  to find the time first. If he had of recorded at Blue Note, "well,  different story" Tongue still Money Jungle was recorded there.  "It is a good album more to do with my personal taste though. Very fussy with my trios".

My fave Duke though is Live at Newport with the Gonsalves solo, wow. I love that early composition  "East Saint Louis Toodle-doo". Steely Dan covered it on "Pretzel Logic"
Matt
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2012 at 8:16pm
I have 'Ah Um' too - another classic. Yes! Time to hunt is nearly as big a problem as the money to actually buy it!

The re-recordings Mingus did on 'Mingus, Mingus, Mingus...' includes an even more raucous version of 'Better Get Hit in Yo' Soul' - can't find it on youtube at the moment, but there's a sample on amazon, doesn't do it justice of course, but here it is anyway!

Reviews...
Kazuhiro View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazuhiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2012 at 9:29pm
"The Black Saint" seems to be popular here. I often heard "Pithecanthropus Erectus" personally and felt that I was one of the important albums.
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2012 at 10:25pm
Originally posted by Kazuhiro Kazuhiro wrote:

"The Black Saint" seems to be popular here. I often heard "Pithecanthropus Erectus" personally and felt that I was one of the important albums.

Yes, a magnificent album!   Thanks, Kazu - I'll add 'Pithecanthropus Erectus' to my list
Reviews...
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2012 at 3:33am

I have 'Ah Um' too - another classic. Yes! Time to hunt is nearly as big a problem as the money to actually buy it!

The re-recordings Mingus did on 'Mingus, Mingus, Mingus...' includes an even more raucous version of 'Better Get Hit in Yo' Soul' - can't find it on youtube at the moment, but there's a sample on amazon, doesn't do it justice of course, but here it is anyway!

Actually, I find that; so far, the other oftent-cited Mingus classics (like those mentioned in this thread) are really not quite as awesome or successful as Black Saint...

Does anyone know of another Mingus album that is really close sonically to BD&TLS??

A bit like Meditations, Transition or First Meditations would be the closest cousins to A  Love Supreme...
my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicted musicians to crazy ones....

Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2012 at 5:17am
Closest cousins? Maybe Mingus Dynasty? Or Tijuana Moods or possibly something like Let My Children Hear Music?
Reviews...
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2012 at 7:54am

Closest cousins? Maybe Mingus Dynasty? Or Tijuana Moods or possibly something like Let My Children Hear Music?

You mean the thing with Randy Brecker??

I've reserved Children and Tijuana at the libraryWink

Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2012 at 8:08am
Not the Brecker, but the album from 1959/1960

http://www.jazzmusicarchives.com/charles-mingus--mingus-dynasty.aspx

I've ordered it myself but haven't heard it yet - so not sure if I've steered you right or not, but it's supposed to have a bit of a soundtrack vibe - and I can see 'The Black Saint...' as being a soundtrack to something film noir, so there might be a link.

With 'Let My Children...' I've read a few reviews and - one of them by darkprinceofjazz on our site - and it sounds ace. It might have some relation to BS...

I'm very jealous of your library - mine is pitifully small compared to some of the amazing stuff you have access too Cry

Reviews...
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2012 at 7:11am

Continuing my Mingus obsession of late, here's one from an album that I've recently ordered 'Mingus Dynasty' - which is meant to have a few moments that are kind of 'soundtrack'-ish. Sounds good to me.
Reviews...
darkprinceofjazz View Drop Down
JMA Jazz Reviewer
JMA Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkprinceofjazz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2012 at 12:30am
Blues and Roots
Town Hall Concert 1964

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2012 at 4:12am
Heard both Tijuana and Dynasty. last night on my way back to North Holland.Clap.. Indeed, much more up my alley than Ah-Hum or Erectus

Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2012 at 5:22am
Originally posted by darkprinceofjazz darkprinceofjazz wrote:

Blues and Roots
Town Hall Concert 1964

Excellent - added to my list of Mingus to collect. Looks like we have the 62 one here but not 64 at a glance.
If we don't have the 1964 one I'll add it later tonight too - ADDED

Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Heard both Tijuana and Dynasty. last night on my way back to North Holland.Clap.. Indeed, much more up my alley than Ah-Hum or Erectus

Very cool! Big smile I hope that 'Let My Children Hear Music' is as enjoyable too - I have Dynasty now and there's some great stuff on it indeed.

Edited by dreadpirateroberts - 16 Jan 2012 at 5:40am
Reviews...
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2012 at 2:49am
Reviewed Erectus (I changed opnion on this, in a good way), Ah Um and BS&TLS

Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2012 at 8:30am
Cool - I've got to get that Erectus album one day. And this below, my order has been on backorder for too long now.

Reviews...
triceratopsoil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2012 at 1:09pm
Mingus is the man.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic