JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Jazz Music Lounges >Jazz Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The Charles Mingus Appreciation Society

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wideopenears Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2012 at 2:40pm

Indeed, Mingus was the man!

My intro to Jazz, really, at age 13 after watching a PBS special....

Essential albums: Mingus Ah Um, Blues and Roots, New Tijuana Moods....Black Saint and Sinner Lady.

Pithicanthropus, and the Clown, are both earlier and cool, too.  Mingus Mingus Mingus Mingus Mingus is worthwhile.

Also Mingus at Antibes is amazing, and the Mingus/Dolphy Complete Bremen Concert is amazing, though the sound is not the best....I also like Three of Four Shades of Blues, and Cumbia and Jazz Fusion, though lots of "purists" despise them...

dreadpirateroberts View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2012 at 1:49am
Originally posted by triceratopsoil triceratopsoil wrote:

Mingus is the man.

Yeah!

Originally posted by wideopenears wideopenears wrote:

Indeed, Mingus was the man!

My intro to Jazz, really, at age 13 after watching a PBS special....

Essential albums: Mingus Ah Um, Blues and Roots, New Tijuana Moods....Black Saint and Sinner Lady.

Pithicanthropus, and the Clown, are both earlier and cool, too.  Mingus Mingus Mingus Mingus Mingus is worthwhile.

Also Mingus at Antibes is amazing, and the Mingus/Dolphy Complete Bremen Concert is amazing, though the sound is not the best....I also like Three of Four Shades of Blues, and Cumbia and Jazz Fusion, though lots of "purists" despise them...

Ah, the 'purist' there's a word that makes me shudder!  Wink  Classics, indeed - I just reviewed 'The Black Saint...' after a long time of putting it off, and I love 'Mingus Mingus Mingus Mingus' too - you should review 'Mingus at Antibes' - I haven't heard it yet. Will go and investigate it now

We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
Reviews...
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2012 at 8:12am

A fantastic album, in a way, almost like a warm up (if more 'upbeat') for the kind of things he would achieve on TBS&TSL

Reviews...
triceratopsoil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2012 at 2:43pm
I've got to check that one out.

As it currently stands Pithecanthropus is my second favourite, after Black Saint which is possibly the best jazz album ever.

Money Jungle, Mingus Mingus Mingus Mingus Mingus and Oh Yeah! are also magnificent
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2012 at 8:39pm
^ It's definitely worth it, for sure.

And I have to get 'Money Jungle' one day too - with you on 'M, M,M,M,M' too, that's ace. I wouldn't have thought that some of those pieces sound better, but they just do
Reviews...
AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AtomicCrimsonRush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2012 at 5:48pm
What are Mingus best albums?

I am searching for Ah Um right now.........
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AtomicCrimsonRush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2012 at 5:54pm
and this!

CHARLES MINGUS - The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady cover
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2012 at 2:54am
Originally posted by AtomicCrimsonRush AtomicCrimsonRush wrote:

What are Mingus best albums?

I am searching for Ah Um right now.........

If you're coming from prog (which of course you're not, uh!?!TongueLOL ), I'd suggest Back Sant And The Sinner Lady... The whole album can be thought of as a concept or at least it has a strong continuity with one riff constantly coming back throughout the album's course

Ah Hum is fine, Dynasty, Tijuana are also among his better...

my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicted musicians to crazy ones....

Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2012 at 4:27am
^ I def agree, all great Mingus - though I personally like 'Mingus Plays Piano' for a change of mood from the big man
Reviews...
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AtomicCrimsonRush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2012 at 7:53pm
Listened to both suggestions, Saint and Sinnner Lady is best album album and its like some noir soundtrack for an old 40s film - very atmospheric and obviously a masterpiece of jazz. Very nice cool full on jazz.....
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2012 at 6:14am

Listened to both suggestions, Saint and Sinnner Lady is best album album and its like some noir soundtrack for an old 40s film - very atmospheric and obviously a masterpiece of jazz. Very nice cool full on jazz.....

Yes! It's a work of art - possibly my favourite jazz album, though it's hard to say.
It makes me wish I was a film maker so I could use it, damn!
Reviews...
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2012 at 11:40am
I enjoyed Mingus while I had no power last week. Mingus Ah Um is one of the best jazz albums.
geneyesontle View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geneyesontle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2012 at 10:50am

and this!

CHARLES MINGUS - The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady cover

Incredible album.
Polymorphia View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Polymorphia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2012 at 11:08am
Recently listened to The Black Saint... Really great album.
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2012 at 7:17pm
Yeah! Go Charlie boy!

Here's an except from an open letter to Miles, from a downbeat issue - I found it interesting and must find out what he said re: that particular Blindfold Test:

It seems so hard for some of us to grow up mentally just enough to realize that there are other persons of flesh and bone, just like us, on this great, big earth. And if they don't ever stand still, move, or "swing," they are as right as we are, even if they are as wrong as hell by our standards. Yes, Miles, I am apologizing for my stupid "Blindfold Test." I can do it gladly because I'm learning a little something. No matter how much they try to say that Brubeck doesn't swing — or whatever else they're stewing or whoever else they're brewing — it's factually unimportant.
Not because Dave made Time magazine — and a dollar — but mainly because Dave honestly thinks he's swinging. He feels a certain pulse and plays a certain pulse which gives him pleasure and a sense of exaltation because he's sincerely doing something the way he, Dave Brubeck, feels like doing it. And as you said in your story, Miles, "if a guy makes you pat your foot, and if you feel it down your back, etc.," then Dave is the swingingest by your own definition, Miles, because at Newport and elsewhere Dave had the whole house patting its feet and even clapping its hands....
Reviews...
FromArmstrongtoZappa View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FromArmstrongtoZappa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2013 at 7:53pm
I have to be a member of this society for sure. I've been into Mingus for over 20 years. Was first introduced to him by WKCR, the New York City radio station. Speaking of which, they will be doing a 24 hour Mingus birthday broadcast on April 22, see www.wkcr.org. Some of my favorites are his solo piano, the Clown, A Modern Jazz Symposium of Music and Poetry, Black Saint and the Sinner Lady, Tijuana Moods, Ah Um, Blues and Roots. Has anyone read his Beneath The Underdog?

Mark
FromArmstrongtoZappa.blogspot
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2013 at 10:33pm
No, I haven't read that, but I probably will some day. Musician autobiographies are sort of a favorite with me.
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2013 at 4:02am
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2E7Xs8gD3io
my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicted musicians to crazy ones....

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic