JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Topics not related to music >General Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Best Hitchcock Film

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: Not synonymous with 'favourite' but his best?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
1 [8.33%]
1 [8.33%]
1 [8.33%]
5 [41.67%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [8.33%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [16.67%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [8.33%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best Hitchcock Film
    Posted: 05 Jan 2012 at 11:16am
Not synonymous with your 'favourite' Hitch film, but rather, what's his best work in your opinion? Any thoughts on why would be ace too.  It's a fairly big list actually - probably too big. Oh well.

I've listed them above in whatever order they came to mind - and did, of course, include an 'Other' option. I've also mostly omitted his earlier British work due to my own bias. But then, that's what the 'Other' option is for Wink

Forgot 'To Catch a Thief' damnit

Edited by dreadpirateroberts - 05 Jan 2012 at 10:34pm
We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
Reviews...
idlero View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idlero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2012 at 11:24am
Voted "North by Northwest"which I enjoyed most
I think the problem with a lot of the fusion music is that it's extremely predictable, it's a rock rhythm and the solos all play the same stuff and they play it over and over again ...
Ken Burns
snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2012 at 11:25am
I really like The BirdsEmbarrassed
dreadpirateroberts View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2012 at 12:06pm
Ah, two classics! Nice job!

I've voted for Rear Window - why later - but first I had to share this, in part because I didn't make it large enough in the collage, in part because it's fascinating:

If you've ever seen Marnie - you'll know that this poster misrepresents the film big time. It's so, so very un-Bond.
A Pakistani poster I believe.  Though you can see why anyone would chose to use Connery's Bond fame to sell a film, especially as Marnie wasn't (at the time) as well received as his other works.

(apologies on the size)

Edited by dreadpirateroberts - 05 Jan 2012 at 12:09pm
Reviews...
The_Jester View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The_Jester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2012 at 12:46pm
The Birds!
Matt View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2012 at 3:06pm

Pyscho, for me. Like the 39 Steps too. I have not seen it in years. Must try and watch it again soon. It is like some dim memory these days.

He did some fabulous films. I still watch his old TV show occasionally at night. Saw one with David McCullum last night in it.
He was "The Man From Uncle's" off-sider in that TV show.
Matt
Kazuhiro View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazuhiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2012 at 9:16pm

^This is a joke.
"The Birds" for me.
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2012 at 10:33pm
Originally posted by Matt Matt wrote:

Pyscho, for me. Like the 39 Steps too. I have not seen it in years. Must try and watch it again soon. It is like some dim memory these days.

He did some fabulous films. I still watch his old TV show occasionally at night. Saw one with David McCullum last night in it.

Ah, Pyscho is such a classic - you know the famous censorship story about it? That Hitch had nearly as much trouble with the shower seen as the toilet?

Another cause of concern for the censors was that Marion was shown flushing a toilet, with its contents (torn-up note paper) fully visible. Up until that time [1960] in mainstream film and television in the U.S., a toilet flushing was never heard, let alone seen.

Fantastic, huh? And I remember when I first watched The 39 Steps - taped it off the TV when VHS was still king Wink

Reviews...
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2012 at 10:36pm
Originally posted by Kazuhiro Kazuhiro wrote:

^This is a joke.
"The Birds" for me.

Hahaha! Clap That's another classic film - I find Mel Brooks to be a bit 'hit and miss' but I do like that one
Reviews...
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2012 at 10:43pm
"The Birds" was great when I was young, its more like kitsch now, I still like it. The whole idea of nature rebelling against this out of control mother in law seems like a really dark joke now.
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2012 at 8:47am
Originally posted by js js wrote:

"The Birds" was great when I was young, its more like kitsch now, I still like it. The whole idea of nature rebelling against this out of control mother in law seems like a really dark joke now.

The kitsch factor is there, but it's still creepy, huh? And some of those special effects were pretty amazing - the matte paintings too! Woah.   Yes! Nature rebelling against an out-of-control mother in law, that's black comedy for sure Wink

In the clip below (it takes a minute to get there) I love the way the birds pour down the chimney. Not exactly seamless by today's standards, and it's fun to imagine the actors reacting to nothing, as they actually were, the birds themselves being edited in later

Reviews...
Matt View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2012 at 2:52pm
Originally posted by dreadpirateroberts dreadpirateroberts wrote:

Ah, Pyscho is such a classic - you know the famous censorship story about it? That Hitch had nearly as much trouble with the shower seen as the toilet?

Another cause of concern for the censors was that Marion was shown flushing a toilet, with its contents (torn-up note paper) fully visible. Up until that time [1960] in mainstream film and television in the U.S., a toilet flushing was never heard, let alone seen.

Fantastic, huh? And I remember when I first watched The 39 Steps - taped it off the TV when VHS was still king Wink

Never heard the story about the censorship Ashley but I must stay at the Bates Motel one dayBig smile Take me mum Wink Still Psycho is one of the best thrillers today. Love how she pinches the money and runs and the twist with the film when she arrives at Norm's place.

My wife and I lately have been watching a lot of old films and seeing The 39 Steps on the poll  reminds me of others I should re-visit as well, "North By Northwest" and "Dial M for Murder". Have no trouble in getting her to watch Hitchcock.

I love the old movies. Black and White is fine for me. Gives them character. Then again I like old music too. Same reason heaps of character. Cool

Matt
Matt View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2012 at 2:56pm
Originally posted by Kazuhiro Kazuhiro wrote:

^This is a joke.
"The Birds" for me.
Mel rules...........I love his stuff from Get Smart, Blazing Saddles, Young Frankenstein, Spaceballs.

Blazing Saddles would be my fave. LOL
Matt
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2012 at 9:39pm

Never heard the story about the censorship Ashley but I must stay at the Bates Motel one dayBig smile Take me mum Wink Still Psycho is one of the best thrillers today. Love how she pinches the money and runs and the twist with the film when she arrives at Norm's place.

My wife and I lately have been watching a lot of old films and seeing The 39 Steps on the poll  reminds me of others I should re-visit as well, "North By Northwest" and "Dial M for Murder". Have no trouble in getting her to watch Hitchcock.

I love the old movies. Black and White is fine for me. Gives them character. Then again I like old music too. Same reason heaps of character. Cool

Me too, I've got no problem with black and white. If lit well, it can be wonderful indeed - and some of the soundtracks from those Hitchcock films are killer! I should go and but some.

Great twice for the opening of a film, huh? You want her to take it but you're not sure if she will and then she's off! I haven't seen NbyNwest for a while, but I recently watched 'Dial M for Murder' and forgot how dialogue heavy it is - like many play to film adaptations. Still tense but.

Anytime I hear the title to Dial M I think of this:

Edited by dreadpirateroberts - 06 Jan 2012 at 9:58pm
Reviews...
Matt View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2012 at 1:21pm

Me too, I've got no problem with black and white. If lit well, it can be wonderful indeed - and some of the soundtracks from those Hitchcock films are killer! I should go and but some.

Great twice for the opening of a film, huh? You want her to take it but you're not sure if she will and then she's off! I haven't seen NbyNwest for a while, but I recently watched 'Dial M for Murder' and forgot how dialogue heavy it is - like many play to film adaptations. Still tense but.

Anytime I hear the title to Dial M I think of this:

Those Simpsons LOL I have seen some real funny cartoons from them. I never turned them on to watch them but my kids did and of course I would get sucked in and watch it too. I used to love that "Cow And Chicken"  show too Cool  "my udders"

They used to watch it before school and often wound up being late  Embarrassed
Matt
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2012 at 9:15am
^ Wow, udders indeed! hhahaha I remember seeing that one too

On a Hitchcock note, I'm giving a second vote to 'Vertigo' - great soundtrack, excellent tension through the first half and then Jimmy's character just takes it beyond creepy with the make over. Clasisc Hitchcock.
Reviews...
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2012 at 10:43am
In honour of Vertigo which I half expected to get a few votes - but The Birds was too strong.

Reviews...
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
JMA Special Collaborator
JMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2012 at 9:46pm
The Psycho Birds Who Spelled Too Much. Tongue

Edited by Slartibartfast - 13 Jan 2012 at 9:47pm
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2012 at 12:26am
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

Nice!
How about:

The 39 Strangers with Rope

Reviews...
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
JMA Special Collaborator
JMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2012 at 9:55am

Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

Nice!
How about:

The 39 Strangers with Rope

Ahhh, in the southeast US...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic