JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements >Welcome newbies!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hi from Wide Open Ears

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wideopenears Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hi from Wide Open Ears
    Posted: 07 Dec 2011 at 1:54pm
Some of you may know me from Prog Ears......but the bulk of my listening is jazz or jazz-related.  I've been lurking for a bit, but thought I'd introduce myself.  Cone is my real first name, it's true!

I'm an electric bassist, amongst other things.  I love good music, no matter what the genre, though I listen mainly to music that has a strong improv component, and I favor instrumental music.  Love world music, too.  

My all-time favorite band is Weather Report, all periods.  My favorite musician of all time is John Coltrane, without a doubt.  I love Miles, Holdsworth, McLaughlin, Jaco.....Monk, Parker, Mingus......tons and tons of artists, in fact.  I don't listen to much Country or folk, or straight blues (though once in a while I spin something....) and not much in the way of Indie or the current Flavor of the Pop Month.  But I don't actively avoid much of it.

I've been listening to, and playing, jazz and jazz-related music since age 13, back in......1979.  I even had a 9 month period of Jazz Snobbism, complete with Upright-Only Attitude, in my early 20's.

There ya go.  Howdy!
snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2011 at 2:12pm
Welcome! 
Matt View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2011 at 2:42pm

Great to see you here Cool

Matt
dreadpirateroberts View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2011 at 3:18pm
Welcome indeed - wow, only a 9 month period of Jazz Snobbism - I went for longer in my 20s but it's worked out of the system now. Smile
We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
Reviews...
Kazuhiro View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazuhiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2011 at 5:57pm
Welcome to the site. The musician whom you mentioned is splendid. They are all favorites for me. I enrolled in Prog Ears, but there is always me here now. Please always enjoy JMA.
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2011 at 6:26pm
Word Up Mr Ears!
I am a committed jazz snob for life Ermm

..but seriously, when I was in music school it was hardcore bop and avant garde only, no rock, no fusion etc, but then I discovered P Funk  Cool

Edited by js - 07 Dec 2011 at 7:03pm
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2011 at 9:40am
Originally posted by wideopenears wideopenears wrote:

Some of you may know me from Prog Ears......but the bulk of my listening is jazz or jazz-related.  I've been lurking for a bit, but thought I'd introduce myself.  Cone is my real first name, it's true!

I'm an electric bassist, amongst other things.  I love good music, no matter what the genre, though I listen mainly to music that has a strong improv component, and I favor instrumental music.  Love world music, too.  

My all-time favorite band is Weather Report, all periods.  My favorite musician of all time is John Coltrane, without a doubt.  I love Miles, Holdsworth, McLaughlin, Jaco.....Monk, Parker, Mingus......tons and tons of artists, in fact.  I don't listen to much Country or folk, or straight blues (though once in a while I spin something....) and not much in the way of Indie or the current Flavor of the Pop Month.  But I don't actively avoid much of it.

I've been listening to, and playing, jazz and jazz-related music since age 13, back in......1979.  I even had a 9 month period of Jazz Snobbism, complete with Upright-Only Attitude, in my early 20's.  >> YikesPinch ...one recovers from that??? Tongue

There ya go.  Howdy!

Hey WOE, welcome among us... Hug

I think you're the first PE member to join us , outside Dick (DJHaitch) and moi-même (as Trane)... and to a lesser extent Martin (alucard)

Edited by Sean Trane - 08 Dec 2011 at 9:41am
my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicted musicians to crazy ones....

wideopenears View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wideopenears Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2011 at 11:55am
Thanks, all.....glad to be here.

I'm on a Kozmikgroov kick lately.........Dead
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2011 at 12:02pm
Kozmikgroov???

Edited by js - 08 Dec 2011 at 12:02pm
Kazuhiro View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazuhiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2011 at 10:32pm
Probably I thought that it was this, but I did not understand the structure and explanation.

wideopenears View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wideopenears Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2011 at 3:42pm
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2011 at 6:29pm
A lot of my collection is kozmikgroove, that music also mixes well with early trip-hop and classic dub reggae. I have millions of mix-tapes like this.

Edited by js - 09 Dec 2011 at 6:30pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic