JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Topics not related to music >General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Collecting & Listening

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Collecting & Listening
    Posted: 21 Nov 2011 at 2:29am
Just a thought about collecting (or obsessive personalities perhaps) but I find myself going through stages of Collecting and stages of Listening. Sometimes I am so busy buying, searching for or planning to buy albums that I do not get a lot of listening done. The collector within me is just so hyped up by the hunt and acquisition of albums!

JMA is still most certainly a blessing - in that it has helped me expand my collection and fill in some gaps etc but I often feel like I am not listening enough. Of course, other pressures interrupt the listening but sometimes I'm only listening when I'm in a reviewing mood, which isn't really enough sometimes. Conversely, I have a been listening more because I am reviewing more. So it almost evens out, but not quite at the moment. Certainly things will continue to swing back and forth, but I wondered - who else has similar stages?
We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
Reviews...
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2011 at 3:20am
I'm a record collector and I used to be very obsessive about it; getting up early Saturday to be the first one at the garage sales, hitting the same thrift store 3 times in the same day etc.
I quit being an obsessive collector a few years ago. Even though I have hundreds and probably thousands of LPs, CDs and cassettes, I find myself listening to internet radio stations a lot these days.
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2011 at 4:38am
^^^^

Wow, that's worse than I ever  got.... and I thought I was obsessive... And while I have an extensive collection, I find myself always wanting to discover more, renting through my library system (an album can cost 0.50€/month)

But I was never a completist, though!!

my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicted musicians to crazy ones....

Matt View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2011 at 1:58pm
I was like John, trawling shops, fairs or anywhere there was music sold. I even knew what day my favourite stores import orders came in Geek I shop on the net and stay at home these days. Still love looking in a music shop. If I am unfortunate enough to wind up somewhere shopping with my wife.( I hate shopping) Thumbs Down, I usually will suggest while she is looking at something that holds zero interest for me " I'm  gonna take of to the music shop"( if they have a decent one, even semi decent ). That is the other problem, popular cd stores are like musical deserts for me with todays charts music.
Still though, I reckon I can sniff em' out those little gems when needed. Sometimes you find em' where you least expect too.

I will add that my favourite stores are no longer these days. Went broke the internet killed em' and I am just as guilty if not more so than all of us. I have not even mentioned what MP3s have done for their business prospects as well.

Edited by Matt - 21 Nov 2011 at 2:08pm
Matt
Kazuhiro View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazuhiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2011 at 7:31pm
I tried the booth which could watch an album well in old days in a shop. Because the Internet did not spread very much than the present approximately 20 years ago. Furthermore, when I was in my teens, I judged it to see only cover art and often bought it. Or it is the information of the music magazine.

I refer to it now when I buy an album because a video and a sample are provided on the Internet.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2011 at 4:09am
Originally posted by Matt Matt wrote:

I was like John, trawling shops, fairs or anywhere there was music sold. I even knew what day my favourite stores import orders came in Geek I shop on the net and stay at home these days. Still love looking in a music shop. If I am unfortunate enough to wind up somewhere shopping with my wife.( I hate shopping) Thumbs Down, I usually will suggest while she is looking at something that holds zero interest for me " I'm  gonna take of to the music shop"( if they have a decent one, even semi decent ). That is the other problem, popular cd stores are like musical deserts for me with todays charts music.
Still though, I reckon I can sniff em' out those little gems when needed. Sometimes you find em' where you least expect too.

I will add that my favourite stores are no longer these days. Went broke the internet killed em' and I am just as guilty if not more so than all of us. I have not even mentioned what MP3s have done for their business prospects as well.

I can't be bothered anymore to check in unlikely places or trays in general stores (I used to do that a lot!!!)

Yeah, I'm guilty as well, but let's face it, it would've happened anyway, whether you and I hadn't webshopped around ...

But still, some of these specialized music stores hold more (maybe not better) than some generalists... especially in jazz and classic (the same stores often specializing in both), where CD sales are not quite decreasing as much as in the pop-rock realm....

my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicted musicians to crazy ones....

harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harmonium.ro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2011 at 1:03pm

Still love looking in a music shop. If I am unfortunate enough to wind up somewhere shopping with my wife.( I hate shopping) Thumbs Down, I usually will suggest while she is looking at something that holds zero interest for me " I'm  gonna take of to the music shop"( if they have a decent one, even semi decent ). That is the other problem, popular cd stores are like musical deserts for me with todays charts music.

I know the feeling, personally I prefer to browse through the women's section at ZARA or Pimkie rather than waste my time in a mainstream CD store. LOL
The Truth View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Truth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2011 at 2:05pm
I'm more of a listener than a collector, it's more of a personal thing, I think.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2011 at 3:32am
Originally posted by harmonium.ro harmonium.ro wrote:

Still love looking in a music shop. If I am unfortunate enough to wind up somewhere shopping with my wife.( I hate shopping) Thumbs Down, I usually will suggest while she is looking at something that holds zero interest for me " I'm  gonna take of to the music shop"( if they have a decent one, even semi decent ). That is the other problem, popular cd stores are like musical deserts for me with todays charts music.

I know the feeling, personally I prefer to browse through the women's section at ZARA or Pimkie rather than waste my time in a mainstream CD store. LOL

Well, one can single out the interesting places quicker than in the general music stores.... I spot the lingerie dept within a second of getting on the right floorLOL

Slartibartfast View Drop Down
JMA Special Collaborator
JMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2011 at 7:09am
I got the collecting bug when I was a teenager.  If it weren't for music I might be fabulously rich off of coin collecting.  I think.  I haven't quite reached the point where there isn't stuff out there that I'd like to have a copy of physically.  But there is no point in collecting if you aren't also listening to it.  I have been prone to discovering a new artist and making a "raid" on their albums and then wishing I had taken it more slowly. LOL

Edited by Slartibartfast - 24 Nov 2011 at 7:15am
Matt View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2011 at 6:54pm
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Originally posted by harmonium.ro harmonium.ro wrote:

Well, one can single out the interesting places quicker than in the general music stores.... I spot the lingerie dept within a second of getting on the right floorLOL
You know, if there wasn't a music shop, "Go Look at The Book shop" but they went broke too. Internet and Kindle ( final death nail for em', that kindle).I used to go to the book shop, check out the new releases, write em' down and then book em' through the library, so you can't blame me for them going broke, hardly ever bought anything anyway. Wink Still only two types of shops I like looking in Unhappy Keep out of Hardware stores ( never take your wife), they only create work when you could be listening to music instead.Smile
Matt
dreadpirateroberts View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2011 at 6:05am
I feel bad that I started this thread and then disappeared, but I had a tournament over the weekend and have barely caught up last night. But it was ace to read everyone's responses - I'm still trying to do more listening and cut back on spending for a while, as I have a large backlog of albums I want to review, so that settles it I think!   Reviews then new purchases
Reviews...
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2011 at 7:49am
What kind of tournaments?
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2011 at 6:48pm
A volleyball tournament actually - drove 6 hrs (not too bad) to our capital city (Canberra) for an interstate tournament in mens div 2 - and we were pretty convincinly beaten!  - think we won 2 out of 6 games for the weekend.
We had a injury and I'm not actually at div 2 standard in my own playing, probably div 3 - but it was worth it. Had a blast.
Reviews...
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2011 at 6:56pm
I love playing volleyball, haven't done it in a long time though.
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2011 at 7:00pm
Cool! It's a brutally hard sport I reckon (indoor for me) - not jsut because I'm only 6ft tall but because of all the timing and variations on the setter's sets and so on. But I am totally addicted. When was your last game, John? 
Reviews...
Matt View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2011 at 7:19pm
I have never been to Canberra,  Ashley  Embarrassed Bad luck with the tournament, slip some laxatives in the other teams drinks next time Wink Might slow em' down.LOL
Matt
Kazuhiro View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazuhiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2011 at 7:23pm
Please sometimes remember Haiku.CryLOL
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2011 at 7:49pm
Originally posted by dreadpirateroberts dreadpirateroberts wrote:

Cool! It's a brutally hard sport I reckon (indoor for me) - not jsut because I'm only 6ft tall but because of all the timing and variations on the setter's sets and so on. But I am totally addicted. When was your last game, John? 
Probably back in college, it was a male/female class, lots of fun. I like to block the shots at the net, slam it right back at them Thumbs Up
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2011 at 5:29am
Originally posted by Kazuhiro Kazuhiro wrote:

Please sometimes remember Haiku.CryLOL

I haven't, Kazu Wink Here's a couple of new ones from my trip to Italy

cameras jostle for position
Pompeii plaster cast

flecks of limestone
dogs curl up
by the pizzeria

Originally posted by js js wrote:

Originally posted by dreadpirateroberts dreadpirateroberts wrote:

Probably back in college, it was a male/female class, lots of fun. I like to block the shots at the net, slam it right back at them Thumbs Up

Yeah, blocking is pretty ace - just last night got one of my teams through to a semi final in the local comp - expecting to get blocked out myself next week in the grand final but - opposition has some big players in it!

I have never been to Canberra,  Ashley  Embarrassed Bad luck with the tournament, slip some laxatives in the other teams drinks next time Wink Might slow em' down.LOL

Hahaha! Half of them were hung over and we still couldn't beat 'em (same for our team too but)! 

It's an odd place, Matt - you can tell it's almost an afterthought of a capital city, it's just sort of lurking in this massive valley - I'd been to Canberra a couple of times before, but nearly 15 years ago. It's like any other place I suppose - only no landmarks! Wink Some fantastic restaurants though!

Reviews...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic