Collecting & Listening

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Matt View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2011 at 1:58pm
I was like John, trawling shops, fairs or anywhere there was music sold. I even knew what day my favourite stores import orders came in Geek I shop on the net and stay at home these days. Still love looking in a music shop. If I am unfortunate enough to wind up somewhere shopping with my wife.( I hate shopping) Thumbs Down, I usually will suggest while she is looking at something that holds zero interest for me " I'm  gonna take of to the music shop"( if they have a decent one, even semi decent ). That is the other problem, popular cd stores are like musical deserts for me with todays charts music.
Still though, I reckon I can sniff em' out those little gems when needed. Sometimes you find em' where you least expect too.

I will add that my favourite stores are no longer these days. Went broke the internet killed em' and I am just as guilty if not more so than all of us. I have not even mentioned what MP3s have done for their business prospects as well.

Edited by Matt - 21 Nov 2011 at 2:08pm
Matt
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2011 at 4:38am
^^^^

Wow, that's worse than I ever  got.... and I thought I was obsessive... And while I have an extensive collection, I find myself always wanting to discover more, renting through my library system (an album can cost 0.50€/month)

But I was never a completist, though!!

my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicted musicians to crazy ones....

js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2011 at 3:20am
I'm a record collector and I used to be very obsessive about it; getting up early Saturday to be the first one at the garage sales, hitting the same thrift store 3 times in the same day etc.
I quit being an obsessive collector a few years ago. Even though I have hundreds and probably thousands of LPs, CDs and cassettes, I find myself listening to internet radio stations a lot these days.
dreadpirateroberts View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2011 at 2:29am
Just a thought about collecting (or obsessive personalities perhaps) but I find myself going through stages of Collecting and stages of Listening. Sometimes I am so busy buying, searching for or planning to buy albums that I do not get a lot of listening done. The collector within me is just so hyped up by the hunt and acquisition of albums!

JMA is still most certainly a blessing - in that it has helped me expand my collection and fill in some gaps etc but I often feel like I am not listening enough. Of course, other pressures interrupt the listening but sometimes I'm only listening when I'm in a reviewing mood, which isn't really enough sometimes. Conversely, I have a been listening more because I am reviewing more. So it almost evens out, but not quite at the moment. Certainly things will continue to swing back and forth, but I wondered - who else has similar stages?
We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
Reviews...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic