JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Jazz Music Lounges >Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Just a few pretty tracks

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: Which of these do you enjoy the most?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
1 [25.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [25.00%]
2 [50.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Just a few pretty tracks
    Posted: 29 Oct 2011 at 8:40pm
Sorry, don't know if I should have done this here since I noticed names here that are not in the database, but I didn't see the place to make music polls outside of this forum.

Deliberately, just a very short list (first that sprang to mind).  Please choose the one you enjoy the most, and please recommend me other music based on these.  Thanks.

EDIT: Posted the wrong track off of B.H's Cirrus before -- corrrected.  I do hope such music appeals to people in this community since such music means a lot to me.

Edited by Logan - 29 Oct 2011 at 11:04pm
"Anyone can make the simple complicated. Creativity is making the complicated simple" (Charles Mingus).
dreadpirateroberts View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2011 at 11:48pm
Loved the Janko Nilovic piece - wow. Having trouble recommending something similar.
Select songs from The Cinematic Orchestra come to mind for some reason, but that's not quite right. I'll keep thinking...and have a listen to some others here
We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
Reviews...
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2011 at 5:54am
I just listened to the first two, that's nice music, I'll have to check out the rest later.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2011 at 11:27am
Originally posted by dreadpirateroberts dreadpirateroberts wrote:

Loved the Janko Nilovic piece - wow. Having trouble recommending something similar.
Select songs from The Cinematic Orchestra come to mind for some reason, but that's not quite right. I'll keep thinking...and have a listen to some others here

I like what I've heard of The Cinematic Orchestra.  The Nilovic album that's off (it's an album I had really wanted on a certain other site we both belong to) is a favourite of mine.

Here's a more applicable to this site track off of it, which I think brilliant (one of my all-time faves)  I uploaded it to youtube long ago , and had rather messed up slitting the track I think (had to put it one in two parts due to the lenght), so expect some repetition.

Originally posted by js js wrote:

I just listened to the first two, that's nice music, I'll have to check out the rest later.

I hope you and others of this community enjoy, at least, most of them.
"Anyone can make the simple complicated. Creativity is making the complicated simple" (Charles Mingus).
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2011 at 11:41am
I guess you know that "Mindbender" is a collection of library music by various composers. If you check the Last FM site for the album you can get some of the composers, who probably all work with a variety of film and background music.
I like music like this and seek it out, library music collections and Italian soundtrack (60s,70s) collections are a great source. There is an indie rock, trip-hop band that had a string section that you may like, I'll try to look up there name.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2011 at 11:48am
Originally posted by js js wrote:

I guess you know that "Mindbender" is a collection of library music by various composers. If you check the Last FM site for the album you can get some of the composers, who probably all work with a variety of film and background music.
I like music like this and seek it out, library music collections and Italian soundtrack (60s,70s) collections are a great source. There is an indie rock, trip-hop band that had a string section that you may like, I'll try to look up there name.

I have all of the albums these tracks are off and a lot of related music. And I have a fair amount of music  by all of the Mindbender composers -- there are some great related albums. I adore 60's and 70's Italian soundtrack composers, and have a lot of library music.  I was thinking about including some Morricone in this list, but couldn't decide on which track.

I kind of did this topic as a bit of a litmus test, to be honest.  Because this kind of music is so important to me, I wanted to see if others share my passion at this site.

Edited by Logan - 30 Oct 2011 at 11:52am
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2011 at 12:17pm
The band I was thinking of is Zero 7, I have their album "Simple Things". I haven't listened to it in a long time, but as I recall, their music is similar to soundtracks and library music.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2011 at 12:45pm
I listened to a bit on youtube, maybe not the best stuff cause it didn't do much for me..  For some reason I thought you were going to mention St Germain.

Edited by Logan - 30 Oct 2011 at 12:51pm
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2011 at 1:30pm
Of the tracks you provided, I went the Herbie Mann track. Which album is that from?  I have a bunch of his albums, but I've never heard that one.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2011 at 1:35pm
It's off his Stone Flute.  It's been a favourite album of mine for some years.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2011 at 1:43pm
By the way, I would expect there a few fans of that Bobby Hutcherson album at this site, but tthese are such greats tracks that i want to share more:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hoqPOw6fzs

Such a magical album.

Edited by Logan - 30 Oct 2011 at 1:45pm
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2011 at 1:45pm
Yeah, I need to get "Stone Flute" someday, that Hutcherson sounds nice too.
We're going to add Nilovic to Exotica, I've been listening some of his music, fun stuff.
Do you listen to Flying Lotus?
Logan View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2011 at 1:47pm
I haven't heard a lot of Flying Lotus, but it is one I've come across and enjoyed.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2011 at 1:59pm
Gald to hear you're adding Nilovic -- I may have push, pushed for it and Herbie Mann for Stone Flute a bit at another site, but it is better suited to this one.

Sorry if I turn this poll into sort of a blog of some of my favourite music, but being such a small community, I don't expect many to comment on the poll, and this is a way for me to share some of my tastes and get recommendations.

This is a '68 track I adore (I have the soundtrack album):

Edited by Logan - 30 Oct 2011 at 2:01pm
Logan View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2011 at 3:04pm
Here's another from an album that someone at another turned site me onto that I adore:

Love to have some similar recommendations.

Edited by Logan - 30 Oct 2011 at 3:05pm
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2011 at 3:26pm
Yeah, keep posting stuff, I'll definitely be checking it out. Lately I've been working like crazy, day and night, but I still get a few minutes here and there to check out some music.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2011 at 3:31pm
Thanks.  This is not my fave off Don Harper's Homo Electronicus, that would be the eerie Cold World's, but I do so love this jazzy Doctor Who track (been into Doctor Who since I was a toddler -- Pertwee being my particular fave).

snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2011 at 3:50pm
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

I listened to a bit on youtube, maybe not the best stuff cause it didn't do much for me..  For some reason I thought you were going to mention St Germain.

Generally I'm not a big acid jazz fan, but this St. Germain's album really works ( in fact, for me this album is the best acid jazz I ever heard). BTW, Tourist (it's album's name) was extremely popular around all Europe during few years after it was released
Logan View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2011 at 3:57pm
Originally posted by snobb snobb wrote:

Generally I'm not a big acid jazz fan, but this St. Germain's album really works ( in fact, for me this album is the best acid jazz I ever heard). BTW, Tourist (it's album's name) was extremely popular around all Europe during few years after it was released

I love acid jazz generally.  Tourist is a great album, I think.  It's one of my favourite nu jazz/ acid jazz/ lounge albums.
dreadpirateroberts View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2011 at 6:53pm
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Originally posted by snobb snobb wrote:

I love acid jazz generally.  Tourist is a great album, I think.  It's one of my favourite nu jazz/ acid jazz/ lounge albums.

I remember a similar good response in Australia, it had an almost 'underground' status for a while, only the very hip seemed to know about it, but then it slowly reached more and more folks, and, deservedly got some more recognition.

Years later when I worked in a CD store (a very top40 kinda store, it was tough) any time I sold a jazz CD of any sort I was happy, and I actually remember selling Tourist to four people in five years (though the store itself sold more by the other workers of course) and in that particular CD chain store, in that particular town, to personally sell that many copies was significant  - it wasn't exactly a jazz hotbed Wink
We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
Reviews...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic