JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Jazz Music Lounges >Jazz Music Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Sun Ra - Big Band Period

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sun Ra - Big Band Period
    Posted: 18 Oct 2011 at 7:32am
Hi everyone, just wanted to ask, where do you think I should start with Sun Ra, especially in regards to his Big Band stuff? Been curious for some time, and John's recent review sparked my interest!
We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
Reviews...
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2011 at 9:17am
If you want to start with something that isn't too heavy, try "Angels and Demons at Play" one side is wacky big band and the other is off kilter exotica. Its one of my favorite records in any genre. I have a review on here.
Cannonball With Hat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cannonball With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2011 at 4:13pm
I second the above.

In this modern age it is grouped together on CD with The Nubians Of Plutonia which is also highly excellent.

The Futuristic Sound Of Sun Ra is another good enterance point, pretty 'straight' (esp compared to his later material) and very jazzy.
Hit it on Five.

Saxophone Scatterbrain Blitzberg

Stab them in the ears.
dreadpirateroberts View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2011 at 4:29am
Fantastic, thank you both! I will add the double cd with both 'Angels' & 'Nubians' together, sounds great, along with 'The Futuristic...'  Excellent, thank you again Smile
Reviews...
dreadpirateroberts View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2011 at 1:15am
...Ordered at last!
Reviews...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic