JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Jazz Music Lounges >Jazz Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

London Scene 60's and 70's

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: London Scene 60's and 70's
    Posted: 28 Sep 2011 at 6:11pm
Hi,

I was thinking Stomu Yamash'ta, although later he became a bit more new age'y in his work. But his earlier stuff, not sure if it fits the jazz description or just experimental, or the "conglomeration" areas in music.

Might be worth while, if someone has the patience and ability -- I don't -- to put together the massive London Jazz scene and names ... they are in the 100's and a very large segment was in the Canterbury area, and not necessarily related to Soft Machine and it's family tree.

I have to admit that I did not follow, or listen to these that much, and I did have a chance to more than once, and passed on things like Isotope and many others, because my interests were leaning in other directions.

I was never into "jazz" at all ... I was into music, regardless of what it was called, or defined as. I simply close my eyes and live and die with it, and it can be Keith Jarrett, as well as Vangelis, Tangerine Dream or Klaus Schulze or Frank Zappa ... so a lot of the "secondary" (my term!) schools of music that came about were not totally in my ears.

It is interesting to see Robert Wyatt's work, coming from such a well regarded and known jazz outfit, but in his solo albums I think that we will find that he is not quite a jazz musician at all and was actually trying to turn it upside down from the pedestal that it lived on ... thus his famous ABC ... at the end of a long piece. His solo albums are almost all exclusively wide open experimentation, free form and out right ... turn it on and go ... no rehearsal ... and the result is the result ... what used to be called "The Living Theater" which was different each and every night. So this would fit more into a free form stuff than any jazz format.

Would also like to see the board open things up even better ... and someone write on the German Jazz scne in the 70's ... Japan's experimental and jazz scene's since the 70's ... and some of the other European schools in jazz, because some of them are so far out that sometimes we wonder ... is that jazz? ... because the only relation that we have for the word "jazz" is the one that comes from America in the 50's and 60's ... that dominate most jazz discussions ... while good, they were not the only originators of the music style that became known as "jazz".
... And then one day, the prophet said that you and I would know what is art ... and real!
Kazuhiro View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazuhiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2011 at 7:38pm
The site has already had Stomu Yamash*ta.

Sean Trane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2011 at 3:15am
I'm very much into the London jazz scene of the the 60's & 70's...

I don't have time right now, but I'll sure as hell return to this thread later

Might i actually suggest a move of this thread to another forum in the Jazz Lounge???

my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicted musicians to crazy ones....

snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2011 at 3:33am
moved
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2011 at 3:40am
Beer
Originally posted by snobb snobb wrote:

moved
Beer
my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicted musicians to crazy ones....

Dick Heath View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dick Heath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2011 at 5:53am
I think getting hold of the second episode of BBC 4's Jazz Britannia TV series might answer some of these questions. It is interesting to hear one theory suggesting jazz rock appeared in London just before 1965, with Graham Bond and Georgie Fame being cited and the reasons they went electric and then increased the amount blues/soul content into their performances. Then on the jazz blues rock side  you get the original godfathers of British blues, Korner and Davis - don't believe what Mayall claims - early in the 60's. You even go back to the mid/late 50's with Chris Barber, who perhaps owed a lot to Dixieland jazz, but brought black blues artists across to the UK, (e.g. Big Bill Bronzy)  and gave his guitarist/banjoist Lonnie Donnegan a slot playing folk-becoming-skiffle  during shows. Personally it was hearing the new jazz of John McLaughlin on Extrapolation and (for me more belatedly) Gordon Beck's Experiments With Pop (with "Johnny McLaughlin").

Dixieland was very poplar from the beginning of the 60's Kenny Ball and Akker Bilk probably being the most notable. But then the novelty jazz-flavoured acts were there,  Temperance Seven for instance, who were an influence on the Bonzo, who played  some novelty jazz in their early days.

Soft Machine and Robert Wyatt - read Graham Bennett's 'Out -Bloody Rageous'. Started out as a pop and soul covers band (as Wilde Flowers) that soon included their own compositions, while allowing solos played at gigs to become open ended. Daevid Allen's avant jazz influence, Kevin Ayers (and Wyatt's?) dadaisms, mantras ('we did it again' - ad nausea), Mike Ratledge's Oxford University postgraduate trained, modern serious music influences (e.g. what became known as minimalism) were in the mix. Listen to the early recordings 'Jet Propelled Photo', 'The Soft Machine', 'Middle Earth Tapes', for both some early evolution and the differences between studio and live performances. Ratledge on 'Middle Earth Tapes', sounds the more professional musician of the three (or perhap four if Allen was still involved) - those solos in 1967 to me are so much more superior than Keith Emerson of the same date - while Wyatt and Ayers had the enthusiams to invent as they went along. Hearing 'Volume Two'  a fortnight before UK original release, propelled me into buying an expenseve American import copy there and then, I was not disappointed - jazz rock fusion. In reality a fusion of avant rock, hippy philosophy, dadaism, jazz and probably a few other things. However, listen to 'Soft Machine at Paradiso', recorded two weeks after 'Volume 2' was completed, played as 3 piece group without Brian Hopper's sax etc. , with different track order, looser gig playing and I think we have early prog rather than early jazz rock fusion. In passing I long thought Waytt made up the lyirics as he went a long during a show - but check the liner notes for one of those early BBC recordings albums ('Triple Echo'??), and it reveals Wyatt spent some time rewriting lyrics before going into the studio

And in the meanwhile Ian Carr was coming from a different place to end up near centre along side  Machine with Nucleus and the subsequent cross-fertilisation. Septober Energy..............................

Edited by Dick Heath - 30 Sep 2011 at 6:00am
Moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2011 at 3:56pm
Hi,

Other than the stuff around Kevin/Daevid that were living in the same place iwth a couple of Beat Generation folks and also some guy named Syd, and then the obvious Soft Machine scene, I really find the scene over there alive, but ... not quite discussed or seen that much.

I always thought that Robert's ABC was a real comment (very much in tune and time with the era and its socio-political commentaries) about most jazz listeners and how they tend to come of more sophisticated and sometimes educated than otherwise.

Ohhh ... and it was so .... __________________ ... funny when coming out of the ZPZ/RTF concert and a couple of folks on their fancy little sports cars, complete with convertible and blonde on the next seat, were playing some jazz out loud on their stereo ... it was one of those ... I really wanted to blast them out with something and would have if I was alone ... and some real FZ would have been good ... so when hearing Robert break into his ABC towards the end of that long piece, was amazing and one of those things that kinda places the music in perspective.  I don't think of it as a finger at all ... I just think it is more ... "don't you think that you are a bit stuck up with that thought?" ... and breaking into something so seminal and so basic, is like saying that music enjoyment is what this is about ... not anything else. It's a very valid comment, specially for the time, although if Obama or Perry said it today, they would be considered "politically incorrect!"

I'm not sure that we see that, but Robert's words, poetry and works .... are rather "pointed" ... and we don't just mean about a song having to do with "rocky bottom" that he personally met with. Daevid and Kevin would have been way too much ... against, shall we say ... that kind of thing, and they would have free formed their way to the left, then right, then up and then around and destroyed the word "jazz" if they were faced with that, only to find themselves with a massive album that everyone would have called weird and psychedelic and ..... what not!

But there was another venue for jazzy things, and both guys that played the music interludes for The Goons did some rather nice jazz'y stuff, although it was mostly song related than "jazz" related in the way we think of this music. So that would be the mid 50's, but also a great time for black folks' music to show up in London? It would definitly suggest that this was there?

Not sure a history can be written, as it might be too open, but all too often these connect in sublte variations ... but one thing is clear to me, and that is that the music scene is on par with the theater scene in London as well as the film scene ... although I seriously doubt that The National Theater ever used a jazz band for one of their plays, though we know that Richard Harvey and Gryphon did do some Shakespeare time music for them, and folks here are calling that "progressive" when all it is is electric period music! But not sure I ever heard, or saw a jazz musician involved with them creating something that you and I can listen to and appreciate.

But a colaboration to put these together and have a nice concensus on the history of it instead of just a band here and there, would be nice and a great representation of the time and place.

Edited by Moshkito - 06 Oct 2011 at 4:07pm
... And then one day, the prophet said that you and I would know what is art ... and real!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2011 at 3:00am
I'm not trying to be exhaustive (but helped is welcomed >> Hint, hint, Dick!! Wink), but I've tried to get a list of musicians by instruments that gravitated around the London Scene in that given period....

In Italics, musicians that released more than one album under their own names or as bandleaders

I bolded out the ones I think played a major role in the British jazz scene

Drummers:

Trevor Tomkins

Alan Jackson

John Marshall

John Webb

Chris McGregor (South Africa)

Louis Moholo (South Africa)

Bassists

Chris Laurence

Jeff Clyne

Dave Green

Roy Babbington

Graham Collier

Harry Miller (South Africa)

Brian Odgers

Ron Matthewson

Dave Holland

Guitarists:

Chris Spedding

Gary Boyle

John McLaughlin

Phil Lee

Phil Miller

Ray Russell

Alan Holdsworth

Ed Speight

Pianists-keyboardists:

John Taylor,

Dave McRae

Karl Jenkins

Michael Garrick

Mike Westbrook

Neil Ardley

Keith Tippett

Mike Taylor

Roger Dean (not the artwork artiste)

Saxmen:

John Surman

Alan Skidmore

Mike Osborne

John Warren (Canada)

Don Rendell

Elton Dean

Lynn Dobson

George Khan

Stan Sulzmann

Ray Warleigh

John Dankworth

Trumpet – flugelhorn – cornet - french horn:

Henry Lowther  (also violin)

Kenny Wheeler (Canada)

Harry Beckett (Barbados)

Ian Carr

Mark Charig

Dave Holdsworth

Mongezi Feza (South Africa)

Trombone:

Malcolm GriffithsChris Smith
John Mumford

Paul Rutherford

Mike Gibbs

Nick Evans

Robin Miller

Derek Wadsworth

Chris Pyne

Others:

Norma Winstone – vocals

Julie Tippets - vocals
Frank Ricotti – vibes

Richard Branscombe – vibes

Oldtimers (previous generation >> 50's)

Ronnie Scott – sax

Harold McNair - sax-flute (Jamaica)

Joe Harriott – sax

Shane Keane – sax

Tubby Hayes - sax 

From the rock/r’nb idiom:

Brian & Hugh Hopper (sax & bass)

Mike Ratledge (KB)

Robert Wyatt (drums)

Brian Auger (KB)
John Hiseman (drums)

Tony Reeves (bass)

Dick Heckstall-Smith (sax)

Graham Bond (KB)

Ginger Baker (drums)

Jack Bruce (bass)

Barbara Thompson (sax)

Jazz-lite

Georgie Fame,

update:
Jimmy Deuchar (trumpet),
Harry South (piano)
Phil Seamen (drums)
Stan Tracey (piano)
Ted Heath (trombone)
Victor Feldman (piano),
Ian (clarinet) & Keith Christie (trombone)

Edited by Sean Trane - 02 Nov 2011 at 3:10am

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2011 at 4:37am
I've purposely left out some wide-known musicians from the rock world (like Bill Bruford or Dave Stewart), thouggh!

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2011 at 3:55am
I can't believe I forgot Dave Holland....
but it's true that both him and McL didn't hang around much the London scene once they met Miles

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dick Heath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2011 at 4:20am

Let me have a think , with only the following immediately coming to mind

Gordon Beck is an obvious omission - Stuart Nicholson (in Jazz Rock A History)  lists his Experiments With Pops (68 or 69) as a scene-setter for jazz fusion/rock. Worth checking out the sidemen list on Westbrook's albums of the late 60's e.g. March Song through to Cadillac. Mike Gibb?  Improv/free jazz drummer  and teacher: John Stevens?

Henry Lowther also seemed to be in demand for his violin playing.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dick Heath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2011 at 4:26am
I would include Julie Tippetts/nae Driscoll and therefore Brian Auger, (noting you have Gary Boyle already- one of Auger's sidemen).

Space for UK jazzy Hammond players:

Graham Bond
Brian Auger
Georgie Fame
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2011 at 8:33am
Originally posted by Dick Heath Dick Heath wrote:

Let me have a think , with only the following immediately coming to mind

Gordon Beck is an obvious omission - Stuart Nicholson (in Jazz Rock A History)  lists his Experiments With Pops (68 or 69) as a scene-setter for jazz fusion/rock. Worth checking out the sidemen list on Westbrook's albums of the late 60's e.g. March Song through to Cadillac. Mike Gibb?  Improv/free jazz drummer  and teacher: John Stevens?

Henry Lowther also seemed to be in demand for his violin playing.

Gordon Beck EmbarrassedEmbarrassedEmbarrassed my!!! How could I have forgotten himHead on wall

Gibbs is in

John Stevens.... I should've remembered him as well.Head on wall

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2011 at 8:41am

I would include Julie Tippetts/nae Driscoll and therefore Brian Auger, (noting you have Gary Boyle already- one of Auger's sidemen).

Graham Bond
Brian Auger
Georgie Fame

Bond and Fame were in

But indeed, Brian Auger..Head on wallEmbarrassedEmbarrassed (alzheimer setting in LOL).

also added

Jimmy Deuchar (trumpet),
Harry South (piano)
Phil Seamen (drums)
Stan Tracey (piano)
Ted Heath (trombone)
Victor Feldman (piano),
Ian (clarinet) & Keith Christie (trombone)

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dick Heath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2011 at 11:04am
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Graham Bond
Brian Auger
Georgie Fame

Bond and Fame were in

But indeed, Brian Auger..Head on wallEmbarrassedEmbarrassed (alzheimer setting in LOL).

I had, indeed, spotted you'd Bond and Fame, instead  I was trying more to promote the sub-section and inviting more names of UK  Hammond organists with a jazz bent - I guess too early for James Taylor, while one notorious for collecting Hammond  organs, Steve Winwood, is too R'n'B/rock to be included. There was a jazz trio lead by a Hammond organist who appeared a lot on UK TV in the mid and late 60's - but i can't remember their group name.
londonjazzer View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote londonjazzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2011 at 5:47pm
Just discovered this thread...all good stuff.  Though it wasn't recognised at the time, the '60s was a great decade  for nascent british jazz and jazz/rock musicians  The latter hybrid really arrived on the coat-tails of the British blues explosion, fuelled by people like Alexis Korner, Chris Barber and Humph bringing over several American blues singers.

A lot a very good musicians were semi-pro, as it was nigh on impossible to make a living playing 'modern' jazz. The R&B boom of the early (ish) '60s meant that quite a lot of these semi-pro musicans could turn pro and make a decent living playing music that wasn't too far removed from jazz. Amongst the first to tread this path were Manfred Mann (before he went completely 'pop), Graham Bond, Jack Bruce and Ginger Baker, Jon Hiseman etc. I also remember Clive Burrows, a very competent baritone sax player and excellent arranger, dropping out of the big-band that he had helped found (which evolved into the New Jazz Orchestra, led by Neil Ardley) to turn pro with the Wes Minster Five, a regular at the Flamingo Club, where another jazz influenced group, Georgie Fame and the Blue Flames were resident.

The New Jazz Orchestra was one of tje first semi-pro big-bands that gave up-and-coming jazz musicians the opportunity to gain experience of reading and ensemble playing...it included among its ranks:  Ian Carr, Henry Lowther, Trevor Watts, Barbara Thompson, Jon Hiseman and John Mumford, Derek Wadsworth and not forgetting Mike Gibbs (who arranged "Tanglewood '63' for the orchestra)...all of whom went on to lengthy careers in music.

By the way, Sean, though Neil Ardley could play piano and certainly used keyboards when writing arrangements, I don't think he would ever have claimed to be a pianist...and certainly not in the same class as the illustrious names listed above. 
LJ  Smile

Edited by londonjazzer - 01 Nov 2011 at 5:53pm
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2011 at 6:37pm
Once the London Jazz scene exploded (this is a matter of speach, because the British jazzmen  couldn't export themselves to the US by trade agreements - workforce and visas issues. It was the Britsh rock Invasion musicians against (or for) the US Jazz establishment...**
the only exception was ... John McLaughlin (and Jack Bruce, but he was considered a rock musician)... all of the others had to turn to Continental Europe... All these US/UK barriers started to break loose from 73 onwards

So the London Scene arrived to maturity from 65 onwards, with guys like Neil Ardley (New Jazz Orchestra and Solo), Don Rendell, Mike Westbrook, Mike Gibbs, Ian Carr, John Surman, Mike Osborne, Keith Tippett, Michael Garrick and my favorite Graham Collier... All these jazzmen were all post-bop IMHO

** source: the booklet of John Surman's NDR Flashpoint on the Cuneiform label.

Edited by Sean Trane - 02 Nov 2011 at 3:12am

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2011 at 6:41pm
Originally posted by londonjazzer londonjazzer wrote:

By the way, Sean, though Neil Ardley could play piano and certainly used keyboards when writing arrangements, I don't think he would ever have claimed to be a pianist...and certainly not in the same class as the illustrious names listed above. 
LJ  Smile

Yeah, I know... Ardley wasn't that much a pianist, but more of a "keyboardist" (and not that good of one either)... He used synths in his 70's albums

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dick Heath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2011 at 5:14am
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Once the London Jazz scene exploded (this is a matter of speach, because the British jazzmen  couldn't export themselves to the US by trade agreements - workforce and visas issues. It was the Britsh rock Invasion musicians against (or for) the US Jazz establishment...**
the only exception was ... John McLaughlin (and Jack Bruce, but he was considered a rock musician)... all of the others had to turn to Continental Europe... All these US/UK barriers started to break loose from 73 onwards

So the London Scene arrived to maturity from 65 onwards, with guys like Neil Ardley (New Jazz Orchestra and Solo), Don Rendell, Mike Westbrook, Mike Gibbs, Ian Carr, John Surman, Mike Osborne, Keith Tippett, Michael Garrick and my favorite Graham Collier... All these jazzmen were all post-bop IMHO

** source: the booklet of John Surman's NDR Flashpoint on the Cuneiform label.

I would agreethe US and UK musician unions did limit the exchange of musicians across the Atlantic - wasn't it "you have one of ours and we take one of your's? But footage of Louis Armstrong (with Humph... for instance) having sailed across the seas in the QE or the QM,  was fairly regular for the 50's and 60's - and surely Ted Heath, Tubby Hayes broke into the American market into the 50's (I can only think of George Shearing as preceeding these guys). Big Bill Bronzy must have been one of the first American blues musicians to arrive in the UK - excellent ep  recorded in London in 1956 or so -  as guest of Chris Barber. However, Bronzy had to go back to a repertoire he left behind 20 years before to please the British audiences and apparently used little of his up to date material.

You also have to think that important to the UK jazz scene in the 50's and 60's were the likes of  Johnnie Dankworth, who for instance took Dudley Moore under his wing, encouraging the pianist to play serious (modern?) jazz. Then there were a whole host of jobbing musicians (many had come of of the armed forces and with musical training in military bands - in fact weren't Robert Fripp's early partners, the Giles brothers ex. RAF band players?) - of which Ronnie Scott  has to be mentioned, at  least for establishing Ronnie Scott's Club in London's Soho and not being afraid to book bands like Soft Machine in the early 70's.

BTW didn't Frank Ricotti (percussionist on numerous prog rock albums in the 70's ) have a jazz trio in the 60's?

londonjazzer View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote londonjazzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2011 at 7:27am
It was 1935 when the AFM first banned foreign musicians 'taking work from American musicians'. The MU responded 'tit-for-tat' (which must have really worried them...not!).  AFM President ex-bandleader James Petrillo kept the ban in place into the '50s, though I seem to recall that the likes of Duke Ellington and Louis Armstrong were allowed to appear in the UK because they were classed as 'variety artistes'!  Once it was lifted...the floodgates opened and we were spoilt for choice. My first experience has probably never been surpassed. I was fortunate enough to see the first "Jazz at the Philharmonic" package to play in Britain at the Gaumont State, Kilburn in 1953.

I remember Frank Ricotti well.   There weren't many guys playing vibes in those days (though a few pianists 'doubled' on them..Mike Carr for one), but Frank was certainly first choice...Neil Ardley definitley used him more than once. He formed a quartet with Chris Spedding in the late '60s, which recorded one album "Our point of view" in 1969 (quite a collector's item now). He later played with John Taylor, a fine pianist, in a trio format with bass player Chris Laurence.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic