JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Other music related lounges >Jazz related lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Funk! I need more!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2011 at 2:59am
Originally posted by SaltyJon SaltyJon wrote:

The title describes the topic well enough...I'm a fan of the gritty, dirty type of funk more than the clean, excessively polished brand.  Any suggestions for groups to check out?  I already know the following: Funkadelic, Parliament, Graham Central Station (they're kind of a mix, but that bass!), Sly and the Family Stone, The Meters, basically only the big groups.  Suggestions?

Well I suppose that you're also aware of the early Earth Wind & Fire albums (before they veered disco)

Kool & the Gang also made some wild early albums, before also veering disco

WAR of course

Edited by Sean Trane - 22 Apr 2011 at 3:00am
Freddie Freeloader View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Freddie Freeloader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2011 at 2:23pm
My favorite Funk artist is Stanton Moore

One little known Jazz/Funk/Hip-hop band is the Heliocentrics their debut Out There is thier funkyest but they also have a great release with Mulatu Astake that is more on the jazz end of things.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMR7_-Qzsc8 I cant find any live clips of their funkyer experimental side this will have to do

Edited by Freddie Freeloader - 22 Apr 2011 at 2:47pm
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2011 at 5:11pm
Stanton Moore is great, I have all 3 of his albums. On a related note, Galactic is one of the better; plus more popular, funk bands today
idlero View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idlero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2011 at 3:54am

I think the problem with a lot of the fusion music is that it's extremely predictable, it's a rock rhythm and the solos all play the same stuff and they play it over and over again ...
Ken Burns
dwill123 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwill123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2011 at 9:44pm
Tower of Power

Maze featuring Frankie Beverly

Mandrill

Twennynine
innervisions View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote innervisions Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2011 at 12:09pm
Don't know if it's been already mentioned, but Jamiroquai, especially the first three albums.
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Freddie Freeloader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2011 at 4:14pm

^^

That reminds me, there is a really fun indie/hiphop/r&b-funk band called Honeycut that is pretty unique with alot of songs along the lines of Jamiroquai
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Freddie Freeloader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2011 at 4:44pm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqI4yMcsKGA
heres a video, awsome live preformance really different from the studio version... great improv
dreadpirateroberts View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2011 at 8:42am
Skull Snaps - kind of a funk/hard soul band. Maybe a little polished,  and leaning toward soul, but has some funky stuff. Especially the heavily sampled 'It's a New Day'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0_uMSd4xOM

Edited by dreadpirateroberts - 09 Jul 2011 at 8:43am
We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
Reviews...
Dick Heath View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dick Heath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2011 at 3:00pm
Defunkt, Kelvinator and Tower Of Power. And Brit band Denis Rawlin's Bad Bones (Rawlins was JK's trombonist fora short while) and French band No Jazz (their second album attracted Stevie Wonder to contribute) .
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2011 at 3:02pm
Asmodean View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Asmodean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2011 at 8:32am
this band is very funky and fresh, and modern

"I created these characters, and I am an Old Testament God with my fist in the middle of their lives." by Robert Jordan Auther of the Wheel of Time fantasy wonderstory

Asmodean View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Asmodean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2011 at 8:42am
this is also kinda cool as well

"I created these characters, and I am an Old Testament God with my fist in the middle of their lives." by Robert Jordan Auther of the Wheel of Time fantasy wonderstory

andyman1125 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andyman1125 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2011 at 12:22am

Bombastic Meatbats! 

Edited by andyman1125 - 04 Sep 2011 at 1:34pm
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2011 at 3:03am

I'm currently on an early-Kool & The Gang spree

These guys were kind of killers in their own ways
my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicted musicians to crazy ones....

dwill123 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwill123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2011 at 9:33pm
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

I'm currently on an early-Kool & The Gang spree

These guys were kind of killers in their own ways
Give a serious listen to "Light of Worlds" one of my all time favorite albums.

Edited by dwill123 - 12 Aug 2011 at 9:34pm
Dick Heath View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dick Heath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2011 at 4:35am
Recent discovery: Monsieur Dubois (and it seems BBC Radio 6's)

SLOW BOMBASTIK

cover_MONSIEUR DUBOIS-SLOW BOMBASTIK-300dpi

JAZZTHING: “Dubois takes off like a rocket”

FINANCIAL TIMES GERMANY: “The ideal partyvehicle … However the sextet has far more to offer than just a few uplifting grooves, these guys know how to blend intelligent rock with soul and manage to arrange the whole thing into an electro-acoustic dream crossover”  [link]

DIE KOPFHOERER:
“Slow Bombastik stands up against current trends in jazz. Monsieur Dubois is easily capable of appealing to a young public, while not for a moment getting simplified or vulgar. A remarkable album!”  [link]

Matt View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2011 at 4:14pm
I heard on the grapevine that this could be the last in the series. There are more singles still.Confused What about "Living In America". ( Rocky the movie 4) Oh well, I do have the 45. One of if not the last single I bought about 15 years back

Singles 11: 1979-1981

Edited by Matt - 21 Oct 2011 at 4:14pm
Matt
Matt View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2011 at 4:26pm
Here are two dead ringers

Bobby Williams... Good stuff but very James

Funky Super Fly (24bt)Anybody Can Be a Nobody

And this bloke must really love little Stevie  and yeah it is good all the same

Anything You Want (Mlps)

Matt
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic