JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Jazz Music Lounges >Jazz Music Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Something like this Cherry tune?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
JMA Collaborator
JMA Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abraxas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Something like this Cherry tune?
    Posted: 11 Sep 2011 at 6:59pm
Hey guys, not really a fan of this type of threads, but well here goes nothing.

I'm looking for music that is similar to that, minus the last minute or so that is pure free jazz. 

I mean, I love that African sounding liberation, and the repetition of chords. I have searched some Don Cherry's discography, just to find pure avant garde jazz with slight resemblences to this tune.
Some Archie Shepp does get close to this.

Any recommendation is welcome.
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2011 at 10:21pm
I know what you mean, that opening part is very nice. I have heard a lot of music like this and even have some in my collection, but no specific pieces to recommend come to mind right now.
I have a Pandora station set for music like this, let me see what they can recommend.
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2011 at 6:17am
The opening and ending parts to Pharoh Sanders' "The Gathering" from "Elevation" is similar, but the middle section is very expressive to say the least.
Abraxas View Drop Down
JMA Collaborator
JMA Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abraxas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2011 at 4:50pm
Originally posted by js js wrote:

The opening and ending parts to Pharoh Sanders' "The Gathering" from "Elevation" is similar, but the middle section is very expressive to say the least.

Yes, definitely! A pity actually, that entrance and ending is just sublime.
Matt View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2011 at 4:21pm
Chris McGregor,  Pablo...............South African........very similar

Jazzzin'  Universally

Thunderbolt (Live 1986)

The two I mentioned are difficult to get but Chris Mc Gregor's other albums are everywhere

Dudu Pukwana played with Greg  (dead now) Greg that is

Edited by Matt - 26 Sep 2011 at 4:24pm
Matt
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2011 at 5:48pm
Check the new artists suggestions for Per Tjenberg and listen to the first cut in the thread.
Abraxas View Drop Down
JMA Collaborator
JMA Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abraxas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2011 at 5:57pm
Originally posted by js js wrote:

Check the new artists suggestions for Per Tjenberg and listen to the first cut in the thread.

Sounding pretty nice! Like a mix of Metheny and Sanders/Liston Smith.
Abraxas View Drop Down
JMA Collaborator
JMA Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abraxas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2011 at 5:59pm
Originally posted by Matt Matt wrote:

Chris McGregor,  Pablo...............South African........very similar

Jazzzin'  Universally

Thunderbolt (Live 1986)

The two I mentioned are difficult to get but Chris Mc Gregor's other albums are everywhere

Dudu Pukwana played with Greg  (dead now) Greg that is

I couldn't find sampels from those albums, but he seems like a noteworthy jazzer! Thanks.
Matt View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2011 at 6:24pm
Here is some Samples

Byron Wallen is awesome on trumpet......comes from England  I see they are under Outernational Meltdown but that was the series title not the album. I do have the others but Jazzin' is the best of the Outernational stuff.

Sterns one of the sites, is the premier World Music seller but they are like a skeleton these days. There is hardly nuthin' new and the site just seems to be dying. They actually closed the shop in London Unhappy
Matt
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic