JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Jazz Music Lounges >Jazz Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

We Love Hiromi

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazuhiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2011 at 11:06pm
It is a singer known to well in Japan, and Akiko Yano is a piano player. Anyway, I do not know whether musicality of Yano Akiko is accepted by an overseas music fan. However, I submit reference materials for all Hiromi fans.

Of course this album is not name of Hiromi. However, the fan of Hiromi can learn this, too.

Get Together - live In Tokyo - Akiko Yano / Hiromi (2011)

darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2011 at 12:07am
^ How is that Get Together album?

Ive gotten into Beyond Standard, which I thought would be another run-of-the-mill jazz covers album, but no; it is like its own album. It even starts off with original material, which is basically a continuation of her previous album Time Control, starting off with the last track (not counting the bonus track) "Time's Up" and extending the piece into a fuller piece of music. Wonderful.
Kazuhiro View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazuhiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2011 at 12:19am
In this duo album, most of the original music of Akiko Yano is really collected as a survey by me. The music of the video which I put is not recorded in the album. Probably they might play a performance. However, the performance of Hiromi in particular is splendid. I really hear Hiromi to let a melody of the music of Hiromi oneself come up.

Postscript

I do not yet get this album.

Edited by Kazuhiro - 31 Oct 2011 at 12:21am
wideopenears View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wideopenears Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2011 at 12:45pm
Long time fan of Hiromi, been following her since Brain was released--I picked it up on a whim, noting Anthony Jackson had some bass credits on it--I buy pretty much anythin AJ is on--and I've seen her multiple times since then.   Great, talent, great composer, and fierce improvisor.   Also an obvious student of the tradition, and she has an infectious love of all types of jazz, going back to stride piano, etc.

darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2011 at 10:38pm
Ive enjoyed all her albums (Except Place To Be, which I do not have). She brings the "fun" aspect back into jazz
The_Jester View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The_Jester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2011 at 10:45pm

She's a great composer, a grat pianist, she's got good musicians with her too, what else could we say?

darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2012 at 3:21am
I listened to 3 of her albums yesterday, Time Control, Beyond Standard, and Voice. I have to say, she writes some beautiful music. Her chord voicings are just magical every time I hear them. One of the best musicians to come out in the last 30 years.
Kazuhiro View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazuhiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2012 at 3:29am
Originally posted by darkshade darkshade wrote:

I listened to 3 of her albums yesterday, Time Control, Beyond Standard, and Voice. I have to say, she writes some beautiful music. Her chord voicings are just magical every time I hear them. One of the best musicians to come out in the last 30 years.

Surely. Her music is beautiful including arrangement. Wonderful talent. However, do you know that she recommended "Waka Jawaka" of Zappa?LOL
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2012 at 3:33am
It's great to know she's into great music like Frank Zappa Thumbs Up
Kazuhiro View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazuhiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2012 at 3:38am
Surely.Smile She was affected by Oscar Peterson, but recommended "Wired" of Jeff Beck as other albums.

Probably I suppose that she studied the performance of Jan Hammer. It may be reflected by her performance.
portugaljazz View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote portugaljazz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2012 at 12:59am
I love Hiromi Uehara music epecially Hiromi's trio ,, bassist Mitch Cohn and drummer Dave Dicenso ..  I like her album  Time Control and Beyond Standard .. ^^
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wideopenears Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2012 at 4:29pm
Mitch Cohn and Dave Dicenso?  Are these guys new with her?  I've seen her a bunch of times, and never heard nor seen these guys...?
Kazuhiro View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazuhiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2012 at 6:01pm
Originally posted by wideopenears wideopenears wrote:

Mitch Cohn and Dave Dicenso?  Are these guys new with her?  I've seen her a bunch of times, and never heard nor seen these guys...?

It was a lineup in her debut album.
portugaljazz View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote portugaljazz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2012 at 12:55am
yes Kazuhiro is right ^^
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wideopenears Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2012 at 1:43pm
Oh, yeah! Pulled it out, and you're right!   I've not looked at the credits on that one for quite some time...thought it was Tony and Martin!
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2012 at 9:35am
OK, this thread had alerted me about Hiromi'sc existence about one year ago, but I finally got a chance to check her instrumental Voice album...
First (surprising) track is quite prog and leaves little to jazz (further prog credential being drummer Siomon Phillips), but by the third track, it's evident that we're with a good modern jazz album.
Thanks for the tip, guys
my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicted musicians to crazy ones....

darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2012 at 1:41pm
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

OK, this thread had alerted me about Hiromi'sc existence about one year ago, but I finally got a chance to check her instrumental Voice album...
First (surprising) track is quite prog and leaves little to jazz (further prog credential being drummer Siomon Phillips), but by the third track, it's evident that we're with a good modern jazz album.
Thanks for the tip, guys

If you ever decide to further your Hiromi collection, I recommend 2 albums.

Time Control. Probably her best album, and this one is more in the jazz-rock vein. Lots of great keyboard sounds, and Dave Fuze on guitar, one of the most creative guitarists around. The album after this, Beyond Standard, is a great companion album to Time Control.

Another Mind. Her first album. This album treads the line between fusion and classically-influenced jazz (but not third stream). Real melodic sound, lots of piano, and a very consistent listen.

To be honest, I like all her albums, and they all have a lot to offer. Her playing is best described as "beautiful", sort of like when Chick Corea or Herbie Hancock play real beautiful lines.

Speaking of which, I haven't really thrown any of her albums on recently. I'll have to remedy that. Cool
dreadpirateroberts View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2012 at 7:37am
Hey - thought Hiromi fans may like this - not all that similar exactly - but in the ball park perhaps

Aziza Mustafa Zadeh

From 1995's Dance of Fire
Some high profile backing members, Di Meola, Stanley Clarke, Bill Evans (sax) etc

Edited by dreadpirateroberts - 25 Mar 2012 at 7:42am
We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
Reviews...
Matt View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2012 at 4:05pm
Coming to the Melbourne International Jazz Festival. 3 gigs, if I remember right,  1 solo, 1 trio and another with the trio at Bennnets Lane Jazz Club.  I would go for the trio myself.

One interesting thought

Do you think the ones that head to the solo concert are predominately Classical music inclined and the trio fans more straight Jazz and Contempary music inclined?

Not that this means anything really but, just a thought.
Matt
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2012 at 5:08pm
I'm not sure, I would imagine her biggest fans might want to hear her solo, while jazz fans in general might go more for the trio.
I'm thinking as for myself, I would have to be very much into a piano player to prefer them solo. Herbie or Cecil Taylor are two pianists who I might want to hear solo. Actually I've already heard Taylor solo.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic