JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Jazz Music Lounges >Jazz Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

We Love Hiromi

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harmonium.ro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2011 at 1:45pm
Originally posted by darkshade darkshade wrote:

Originally posted by harmonium.ro harmonium.ro wrote:

I'll be the first non-fan. 

have you tried any of her music?

I wouldn't have said that without trying any music before.

I'll look over the videos, thanks. I see the tour brings her to Paris.
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2011 at 2:57pm

I'll be the first non-fan. 

have you tried any of her music?

I wouldn't have said that without trying any music before.

I'll look over the videos, thanks. I see the tour brings her to Paris.

Yea, if you decide to check anything out, try her Sonicbloom stuff.

The album "Time Control" is my favorite, and probably her best. It's also a fan favorite on this site.

Edited by darkshade - 12 Apr 2011 at 2:58pm
The Manticore View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Manticore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2011 at 6:55pm
I am a recent convert to Hiromi via the Stanley Clarke Trio. She has a great feel and attack. It's a very individual style and that's what I love.
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2011 at 12:10pm
Originally posted by The Manticore The Manticore wrote:

I am a recent convert to Hiromi via the Stanley Clarke Trio. She has a great feel and attack. It's a very individual style and that's what I love.

If you like that album, you'll like her own albums. Time Control or Another Mind are her best from what Ive heard from her, but you may like her new album Voice which is a trio album (havent heard it yet)
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Manticore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2011 at 4:29pm
I heard a sample fron The Voice and like it very much. Next on my list.
When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading.

Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Manticore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2011 at 11:13pm
OK. I couldn't help myself. I just pre-ordered Voice. Roll on June.
When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading.

Nathaniel607 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nathaniel607 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2011 at 7:02pm
HOLY CRAP that video was awesome! She has immense soloing!

Damn. Wish I was rich so I could just order all her albums... 
Jazz Pianist View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jazz Pianist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2011 at 2:56pm
She's a beautiful woman who plays some of the most furocious piano lines I've ever heard
azuchul View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote azuchul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2011 at 5:36am
I'm a fan.
dwill123 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwill123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2011 at 11:24am
I saw her several years ago at Club Iridium in NYC opening for Billy Cobham.  Great show.
MilesBeyond View Drop Down
JMA Jazz Reviewer
JMA Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MilesBeyond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2011 at 3:25pm
I ran into her completely by mistake when it suddenly occurred to me that a jazz version of Debussy's Claire de Lune would probably be fantastic and I decided to check the internet to see if one already existed. I was right - it is fantastic. I've listened to that one over and over again, but that's all I know of her. Any suggestions for where to start?
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2011 at 11:56am
Originally posted by MilesBeyond MilesBeyond wrote:

I ran into her completely by mistake when it suddenly occurred to me that a jazz version of Debussy's Claire de Lune would probably be fantastic and I decided to check the internet to see if one already existed. I was right - it is fantastic. I've listened to that one over and over again, but that's all I know of her. Any suggestions for where to start?

A lot of people here, including me, was enjoying her album Time Control a lot earlier this year. I think it's her best and it's like Classic Fusion.

On another note, I'm ordering her new album Voice tonight; so I'll finally be hearing that one soon Big smile
Kazuhiro View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazuhiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2011 at 8:38pm
The video of Claire de Lune that Hiromi did can certainly be found. It is likely to become an example Time Control and Spiral good if based on it.
dreadpirateroberts View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2011 at 8:11am
Hi everyone, new to the site. Jumped over from PA, where I first encountered Hiromi. Saw her duet with Corea on 'Spain' and was duly impressed. Will be investigating her discography.
We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
Reviews...
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2011 at 1:36pm
I'm listening to Another Mind. I forgot how gooooood this album is! Great debut.

I heard the first track off of Voice yesterday, and wow, it reminded me of prog rock sensibilities within a jazz-rock context. I haven't had a chance to order it, but I'm doing that now, since my local shop doesn't have it.

chuckyspell View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chuckyspell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2011 at 2:58pm
Originally posted by azuchul azuchul wrote:

I'm a fan.
Me too.
I think the torch is being passed to her. I'm really looking forward to what else she'll offer.
Padraic View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Padraic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2011 at 3:11pm
Hiromi is indeed outstanding.  Have a number of her albums, have not given her most recent effort (Place To Be) enough spins.
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2011 at 10:59pm
Originally posted by Padraic Padraic wrote:

Hiromi is indeed outstanding.  Have a number of her albums, have not given her most recent effort (Place To Be) enough spins.

Get Voice (2011 - getting it now)

Edited by darkshade - 04 Aug 2011 at 10:59pm
Padraic View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Padraic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2011 at 2:38pm

Originally posted by Padraic Padraic wrote:

Get Voice (2011 - getting it now)

Thanks for alerting me to this!
chuckyspell View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chuckyspell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2011 at 5:02pm
What I like about Hiromi is that she transmits a lot of energy when she plays.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic