YES — Yes

Guitar, Vocals – Peter Banks
Organ, Piano – Tony Kaye
Vocals [Lead Singer], Percussion [Incidental] – John Anderson

Atlantic ‎– 588 190

Thanks to snobb for the addition

Buy YES - YES music

More places to buy metal & YES music

YES YES reviews

No YESYES reviews posted by specialists/experts yet.

Prog Zone
Review - #1 (Yes - Yes)

This is the first of many classic albums to come out from the progressive rock band Yes. This album was released in July of 1969 and consisted of an interesting line-up of musicians. The current line-up consisted of Jon Anderson on vocals, Chris Squire on bass, Bill Bruford on drums, Peter Banks on guitar, and Tony Kaye on Hammond organ. This album displays the band in their early stages in which they are still developing their sound. It provides an interesting insight to how to band become goliaths of prog which we know them as today. Despite this album not aging as well as hoped, it still contains a few gems that go overlooked by most Yes fans.

When taking a look at the line-up, bassist Chris Squire does exactly what he need to. His bass performance throughout the album is incredibly prominent and gives real punch to some of the songs. In fact, I would say it is revolutionary. Jon Anderson's vocals on the other hand are fair but he seem like as if he holding back. The other band members do a solid job as well, from Bill Bruford's jazz like drums to Peter Banks psychedelic guitar the musician box is definitely checked off. Beyond and Before is the first track on the album and was written by Squire and Clive Bailey. Clive Bailey was the former singer and guitarist in Mabel Greer's Toyshop, the rock band that was a precursor to Yes. The band would open their live shows with this tune, which features some terrific three-part harmonies. Chris Squire described the track as "one of those acid rock kind of songs" with its psychedelic lyrics. Despite the song including some interesting chord progressions and a nice vocal melody it only stays as a decent song, though, isn't necessarily bad either. I See You is a cover song that was originally written by the band the Byrds. Peter Banks once stated that he was disappointed with the version recorded for the album as he later recognized the mistakes on it. It contains some jazz like interplay between Peter Banks and Bill Bruford that is a delight to hear. I would actually consider this to Peter Bank's finest work on the album, including some wonderful improvisions and well written melodies. However, I feel as if the improvisation goes on for a bit longer than necessary. Nevertheless, it is a solid track but isn't nothing necessarily groundbreaking either. Yesterday and Today is a short but very pleasant acoustic that contains so nice vocals from Jon Anderson. Next up is Looking Around which is one of the highlights of the album. In addition, it remains to be one of Chris Squire's favorite tracks on the album. When it came to recording it, the band actually had some difficulties with its pitching as they were unsure on what key the song was in. There is some great Hammond organ from Tony Kaye that is present through the entire song. Exceptionally solid track!

Harold Land seems to be somewhat forgotten but remains as a genuinely remarkable song. This track yet again displays some nice keyboard work from Tony Kaye but also some robust drums coming from Bill Bruford. Harold Land remains as a good example of the path Yes would take when going into the future. Every Little Thing is yet another single which is originally from The Beatles. Chris Squire once said, he didn't realize how much he liked the band's version until he turned on the radio after performing at Madison Square Garden in New York City in 1984 and heard the instrumentation. He believed that the it was almost a new song being played until Anderson's voice was heard, making it a cover. Despite the cover being an improvement to the original Beatles song, due to it's more interesting and complex arrangement, I still don't believe it is a great song by any means. My favorite version of Every Little Thing can be found on the Songs From Tsongas - Yes 35th Anniversary Concert, great rendition! Nevertheless, the version found here is still good but non-essential. Sweetness is the first song that Jon Anderson and Chris Squire (including former Mabel Greer's Toyshop guitarist Clive Bailey) collaborated on following their initial meeting. The song contains some interesting vocal harmonies but is drenched with the feel of a 60s love ballad with some progressive rock touches. Overall, it is still a good song that has a great build-up near the end. My favorite moment on this album has to be Survival. It includes stunning guitar in addition to some great keyboard melodies from Tony Banks. It's a track that I find myself revisiting the most while showing the greatest comparisons to how Yes' career would be like in a few years.

Yes' debut is an overall solid album that unfortunately suffers from the issue of few songs that never get past that "fairly good" point which brings down the album from the potential it might have reached. Nevertheless, from beginning to end this album is a terrific listen. It shows the early stages of what Yes would come to be. They were able to craft an album that is very unique in its own right while also displaying what they had to offer. If you haven't heard this album, and you are a fan of Yes I'd definitely recommend taking a listen. A good but non-essential album!

- 𝘛𝘩𝘪𝘴 𝘳𝘦𝘷𝘪𝘦𝘸 𝘸𝘢𝘴 𝘰𝘳𝘪𝘨𝘪𝘯𝘢𝘭𝘭𝘺 𝘸𝘳𝘪𝘵𝘵𝘦𝘯 𝘧𝘰𝘳 𝘗𝘳𝘰𝘨 𝘈𝘳𝘤𝘩𝘪𝘷𝘦𝘴 (http://www.progarchives.com/Review.asp?id=2535927)
siLLy puPPy
I'm not sure what happened to me with this one. I used to own this and although I listened to it a few times I never really got into it and the first two YES albums always took a major backseat to the outstanding masterpieces that began with “The Yes Album” which is often cited as YES' first album. I used to believe that myself but incorrect it is. This is their debut album and is simply called YES. It's true I have never been a fan of their band name and even the band meant it to be temporary but that matters not when the music they have released is some of the best the world has ever heard. I recently got the remastered edition of this album and thought i'd revisit it simply because other than “Every Little Thing” I couldn't recall any of the songs. I was expecting this to be the 3 star album that I remembered it to be but something happens to me with YES albums. I swear that the tunes lay eggs in my brain and incubate there and when they hatch they burrow themselves into my DNA and change it to like the songs that I once didn't!

On this debut album I was immediately struck how good this band already sounds from the very first song. Not only is Jon Anderson and Chris Squire already fully developed in their trademark sounds but Peter Banks' guitar work has already established that guitar sound of expanding beyond the bluesy rock riffing and adding the nuances that Steve Howe would adopt when he joined the band. Bill Bruford displays his jazz-influenced drumming and while Tony Kaye is no Wakeman, for these sweet, melodic and unusual (for the day) songs he is more than adequate for the job. I wouldn't say this is a bad place to start with YES' music. It is the beginning and if you listen to all the later masterpieces first it may take you a long time to appreciate this debut. YES, i'm surprised i'm giving this 4 stars but there is not a bad song on here. Despite this not being as progressive and pompous as future releases there is some interesting variations on melodic songwriting going on here.

• lunarston

THE COOKERS
Prophecy Extended
DAVID GARFIELD
Nostalgia
TRICOTISM (CRAIG MILVERTON/ SANDY SUCHODOLSKI/ NIGEL PRICE)