JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Jazz Music Lounges >Jazz Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The 70's Jazz-rock/fusion appreciation society

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Dick Heath View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dick Heath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2011 at 2:00pm
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Anybody knows of Second Vision with John Etheridge??

Yes. Post Soft Machine collaboration with Ric Sanders, jazz rock  folk made before the violinist headed off to the Fairports - issued on CD by Blueprint.  A reminder that Etheridge has played with a lot of violinists during his career - Darryl Way, Nigel Kennedy,  Stephane Grapelli also immediately come to mind.
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2011 at 11:37am
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Originally posted by darkshade darkshade wrote:

We should have a thread for 80s fusion, 90s fusion, and 2000s fusion

Honestly, I think I have less 90s fusion than from any other decade

Really not a fan of most 80's fusion.... It had lost all kinds of energy compared to the 70's.... bad synth and shoddy 80's production values are also major setbacks.  It's why I don't really like ECM-type of fusion.... too cool and dead, IMHO.

90's are not much better, but it seems that energy levels were on the rise... and some of those 80's trademarks disappeared

overall I agree about the 80s, but there was good stuff from that decade. 90's fusion is generally my least preferred, which is why I love 2000s fusion. It's like a fusion of 70s fusion with 2000s rock/metal energy, or maybe infuse more funk and jazz. Either way, I think I like 2000s fusion so much because of the great production values compared to 80s and 90s
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2011 at 4:13pm
Anybody knows of Second Vision with John Etheridge??
my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicted musicians to crazy ones....

Jazz Pianist View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jazz Pianist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2011 at 2:54pm
STRATUS Heart
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2011 at 2:52am
Originally posted by darkshade darkshade wrote:

Really not a fan of most 80's fusion.... It had lost all kinds of energy compared to the 70's.... bad synth and shoddy 80's production values are also major setbacks.  It's why I don't really like ECM-type of fusion.... too cool and dead, IMHO.

90's are not much better, but it seems that energy levels were on the rise... and some of those 80's trademarks disappeared

Originally posted by Prog Geo Prog Geo wrote:

Wait, synth guitars are considered boring?

Of couse, synclaviers (I refuse to put a capital s to that crap) are the worst thing that could've happened to jazz guitar.... it took all of the biting edge of guitar sounds and smoothed it out beyond commen sense.

Listen to McL throughout the 80's, he sounds like a weenie version of his former self

Edited by Sean Trane - 14 Jun 2011 at 2:53am
my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicted musicians to crazy ones....

Abraxas View Drop Down
JMA Collaborator
JMA Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abraxas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2011 at 9:07pm
^Yes, American Garage is fantastic up-lifting fusion.

Offramp has grown on me a lot, its dark mood, I now find it another masterful album. 
Kazuhiro View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazuhiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2011 at 9:03pm

Features might be united to some degree as the music character of PMG. Each characteristic and the idea by ECM and Geffen might have joined it, too. PMG in the 80's might often have the element of World Fusion. I think initial PMG also for an experimental element to exist as a subjective opinion. I thought one directionality to have been established when Pat Metheny announced the off-ramp.

Point that Pat Metheny considered band anyway. And, it is convinced that the existence of Lyle Mays is very important for PMG.

Kazuhiro View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazuhiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2011 at 8:50pm
Yes. American Garage is a good album. Or, Still Life is also good. I often listen to them.
Abraxas View Drop Down
JMA Collaborator
JMA Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abraxas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2011 at 8:42pm
Originally posted by Kazuhiro Kazuhiro wrote:

Still, I think that the fusion album that PMG announced in the 80's is good.

Which one? American Garage?
Kazuhiro View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazuhiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2011 at 8:34pm
Still, I think that the fusion album that PMG announced in the 80's is good.
dwill123 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwill123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2011 at 7:47pm
Did someone say synth guitar, boring.  McLaughlin gets good sound from his.

Prog Geo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog Geo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2011 at 10:12am
Yes. But that's interesting.
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2011 at 4:48am
I was mostly kidding, some people get nice things out of them, but a lot of guitar players in the 80s used really cheesy sounds with their synth guitars.
Prog Geo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog Geo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2011 at 4:45am
Wait, synth guitars are considered boring?
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2011 at 4:21am
^ synth guitars?
trinidadx13 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trinidadx13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2011 at 2:41am
Love 70's fusion....the holy grail in fusion. Why did the 80's get so boring?
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2011 at 1:32pm

The Truth View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Truth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2011 at 12:37pm
Indeed, some of my favorite music comes from this genre. My favorite jazz album is Big Fun by Miles Davis which IMO defines this era of fusion. Can't really go wrong with anything from 70's fusion. Thumbs Up
seb2112 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seb2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2011 at 3:29pm
I got into jazz fusion through the prog side of things, and fusion is 95% of the jazz I listen to.  I`m listening to a Soft Machine live CD from the period where Holdsworth was playing guitar for them right now and loving it. Some great bands not yet mentioned in this thread are Passport and Nucleus, two of the first bands I got into when I started discovering fusion. It`s hard to draw the line between fusion jazz and canterburry prog, I really enjoy Gilgamesh and National Health and I`d say they`re pretty darn close to being fusion.

Rahmann only released one album, but it`s a damn good one. I concider it fusion, but it`s often classified as Zeuhl or RIO because of it`s association with Magma (a band of which I am NOT a fan)

Hermann Szobel only recorded one album and then disapeared off the face of the world, but it is easily in my top 5 70`s fusion records and well worth checking out for anyone who has never heard it

Bill bruford`s 2 studio and 1 live albums in the fusion genre are also excellent, although I`m not a fan of earthworks

And although they`ve been mentioned, I want to point out thtta the first 3 al di meola records, the first 2 Brand X records and all the musc Mahavishnu Orchestra released in the 70`s are pure gold and amongst the best music ever produced

We should open a thread for fusion post-70s thats worth checking out. Overall the quality of fusion is far from being what it used to be, but we do have some great bands still banging out awesome fusion records like Planeta Imaginario (borderling canterburry prog again) and One Shot (yet another Magma-associated band yet I dislike the ``original`` band so much)
1967/ 1976 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1967/ 1976 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2011 at 5:00am
JACK DEJOHNETTESorcery Album · 1974 · Classic Fusion
Cover art 
StarStarStarStar "Sorcery" isn't a Fusion album but an album of Electric Bop. And for this motive "Sorcery" is an album of Fusion. Unreservedly Jack DeJohnette able to record an album very technical and easy to read. This is because Jack has a great musical sensibility and, in a period where everyone was trying to play hard, he tries to communicate what the music can be emotion and melody. With these ingredients "Sorcery" becomes an album of POP Fusion but not an album of POP Jazz, because 100% Bop. (P.s.: I do not have other words to describe this concept... Excuse me).

The experience of "Sorcery" is a soert of trip to the dreams and shadows of an human mind and for this fact I think that "Sorcery" is a good album if magic, inventive and feelings are what we seek in music.

Edited by 1967/ 1976 - 08 May 2011 at 5:01am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic