JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Jazz Music Lounges >Jazz Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The 70's Jazz-rock/fusion appreciation society

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
1967/ 1976 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1967/ 1976 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2011 at 5:10am
BILL BRUFORD'S EARTHWORKSFootloose and Fancy Free Live album · 2002 · Classic Fusion
Cover art
StarStarStarStar1/2 Recorded live at the PizzaExpress Jazz Club, Siho, june 23rd and 24th 2001, "Footlose and Fancy Free" is a good album if Classic Fusion please you. Only that this album is all acoustic. But this is only a small detail.

Bill Bruford was the drummer of Yes and King Crimson and in first UK album Bill plays a good related Jazz Rock version of Symphonic Prog. So it seemed natural, even considering the evolution of King Crimson, that Bill conceive great Jazz albums. I do not have other albums by Bill (soloist or with Earthworks) but this live album is extremely good, for me.

Fusion or not (but this is fusion? Hmmm... Because no?) Bill played with great technique and precision and the rest of the band is great (Steve Hamilton to piano is a great machine as Patrick Clahar to saxes). In general this album is for connoisseurs, although very immediate and not too technical. As in other jazz albums, for me is the final result that should OK, for me. 2 hours of Jazz that weigh no to anyone and, of course, frees the mind. It is clear that this album present more Jazz that Rock. And not because acoustic.

In definitive if for you Bill Bruford is only Yes, King Crimson or UK... You are outside of the road. Bill Bruford is only a drummer, in this case a great Jazz drummer. That please you or not.

CHICK COREAThe Eighties Boxset / Compilation · 2003 · Classic Fusion
Cover art
StarStarStarStar: My review is based on: Emarcy/ Universal059 878-2

"Eighties" is a Chick Corea compilation focused on 1986/ 1993 production. Not all compositions are Classic Fusion but, in a good view, this is the genre that is good for this compilation.

In this compilation compositions have been included enough interesting for a general audience but also for those who love Jazz. In general these compositions (that please me all at the same manner... Also if "Trance Dance", "Got A Match?" and "Blue Miles" have a superior magic, for me) not present virtuoso or solo parts complicated or heavy, tired and confused that who does not love Jazz. In other words, Rock is not the base of the songs and Jazz is only a colour, because Fusion, also in Fusion composition, is only a component of the music. But if you search POP Jazz in Chick Corea you are outside of the road. Corea's music is 100% traditional Jazz but written for a generalist audience, so that the contamination are present but not invadents.

Certainly acoustic or electric the music of Armando "Chick" Corea not change. And also this compilation present only 10 composotion composed between 1986 and 1993 for the presence of excellent musicians (all stars of modern Jazz) I think that if you do not have nothing of Chick Corea this is a good compilation.

BILLY COBHAMThe Best Of Boxset / Compilation · 1979 · Classic Fusion
Cover art
StarStarStarStar My review is based on: Atlantic 7567-81558-2

Billy Cobham is one of my preferred drummer. In my opinion this "The Best Of" is a good compilation if you do not know Billy Cobham. All the songs are written by the same Billy cobham except "Do What Cha Wanna" that is written by George Duke and that is performed live with George Duke Band. Except for "Quadrant 4" that is a savage Heavy Metal/ Jazz fusion with double bass drums the rest of the album is more funkysh. But the great technique of Billy on drums was great also if the music is funkysh.

In definitive view Billy Cobham is a great drummer and good songwriten. That in 70's are at his apex. And this compilation is good. Not only for Billy's newbies.

Edited by 1967/ 1976 - 06 May 2011 at 5:12am
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1967/ 1976 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2011 at 5:01am
RETURN TO FOREVERRomantic Warrior Album · 1976 · Classic Fusion
Cover art
StarStarStarStarStar
Return To Forever... One of the most great and ingenious band in the world: Jazz, Rock or... Whatever it play! In this case RTF play a type of Fusion that is too close to Prog Rock. In my opinion with "Romantic Warrior" are inserted between instruments duels that will be taken by many Heavy Metal groups. This due to the style of Al Di Meola on guitar and Stanley Clarke on bass. Another point is the insertion of Classic Music partiture in a Rock partiture with Jazz treatment. The production is too close to Rock than to Jazz and, also for this motive, I think that the music of "Romantic Warrior is close to Prog Metal. Not for this, or due for this, the music of this "Romantic Warrior" is more Fusion that other Fusion music.

Interestig are the instruments duels, what makes Jazz the music, because the rest is pure Rock, Hard Rock. The sound of keyboards is powerfully joyful as the guitars and the bass is incredibly powerful, as the percussive instruments are a great motor. The arrangiaments are in Jazz style but the writing style is a mix between Classic Music and Rock, as is incredibly evident in "Duel Of The Jester And The Tyrant" or in "Majestic Dance", in this case in a great mix with Folk. The power of music are mixed with the Latino sensibility of Corea and Di Meola, the power of Stanley Clarke and the Jazz motor of Lenny White: now the music it is as if it were still 1976: the magic and the feeling are still too evident!

I have not other words to describe this incredible album, a Masterpiece of XXth Century music, Jazz, Rock, Fusion, Classic Music or Heavy Metal that it is!

Edited by 1967/ 1976 - 06 May 2011 at 5:02am
Abraxas View Drop Down
JMA Collaborator
JMA Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abraxas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2011 at 1:55pm
Originally posted by darkshade darkshade wrote:

Originally posted by 1967/ 1976 1967/ 1976 wrote:

The first Fusion of Miles Davis was an electric version of what has been done so far.

that more or less describes the music of Miles In The Sky

And not too far from the style of Filles de Kilimanjaro.
Prog Geo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog Geo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2011 at 11:49am
Nice! I wasn't remembering that Mike Stern had played with Miles Davis.
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1967/ 1976 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2011 at 11:29am
I'm not saying I'm right but if we listen to this CD by Miles Davis:
MILES DAVIS - The Second Spring cover
4.001 rating | 1 review
Buy this album from MMA partners

Live album · 1991

Filed under Classic Fusion

Tracklist

1. Spring (Part Two) (42:35)

Line-up/Musicians

- Bill Evans / sax
- Mike Stern / guitar
- Marens Miller / bass
- Al Foster / drums
- Mino Cinelu / percussion
- Miles Davis / trumpet, keyboards

About this release

1991: Paradise/ Abraxas P1030-2

Live in Rome (April 22, 1982)

We can see that the music is a new version hard bop, because:

Only one song in this "Second Spring", a live CD by Miles Davies (that I bought for €2,00), published in 1991 and recorded in Rome (Italy) April 22, 1982 by Miles Davis Sextet. The basic stile of "Second Spring (part two)" (that is 42 and half mins long) is Hard Bop but the presence of electronic keyboards putthis release in Classic Fusion field. The music is not explosive but reflective, not so technical but with great feeling, magic and power. 

Certainly other artists use too much Rock in their mixture of rock and jazz, sometimes ending up in Heavy Metal, sometimes getting too Rock Progressive.

For me Classic Fusion is still 100% Jazz, crtainly with tons of Rock. But for his roots, for me Classic Fusion is 100% Jazz.

Edited by 1967/ 1976 - 01 May 2011 at 11:32am
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2011 at 2:19am
Originally posted by 1967/ 1976 1967/ 1976 wrote:

The first Fusion of Miles Davis was an electric version of what has been done so far.

that more or less describes the music of Miles In The Sky
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1967/ 1976 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2011 at 4:40pm
Listening to "The Eighties" by Chick Corea I reflected on how Fusion could be born (listening to "Essential Miles Davis" stands out more): at some point for some Jazz musicians acoustic sounds and rhythms Bop and Hard Bop were tight. Looking for new sounds they encountered in electric/ electronic instruments (bass, keyboards ...). They have tried to use it and understood the potential of these instruments they have included these instruments in their music. Of course it was all natural ... The first Fusion of Miles Davis was an electric version of what has been done so far.

I got it wrong?
Stooge View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2011 at 9:30am
Fusion was my gateway into the world of jazz music.  As a bass player, I was looking for some instrumentalists to listen to, and the name Jaco kept coming up.  I heard he was in Weather Report, and thankfully my dad has a number of their albums on vinyl.  I started there, then went to Return to Forever, then probably Herbie Hancock/Headhunters.  The first time I heard Bitches Brew (not quite 70s but close enough) I didn't know what to make of it.  A second listen months later got me to appreciate it more, and from there I branched out to Miles' other work, his sidemens' other work, etc. until I had full-blown jazz-itis.
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2011 at 1:40am
Originally posted by dwill123 dwill123 wrote:

This is what I like and not just the same handful of bands.  There was much more that created the genre so let's here about them also.

some of my favorite's from the 70s that arent always mentioned

Brand X
Sloche
Jan Hammer Group
Larry Coryell & The Eleventh House
Leb i Sol
Missus Beastly
Fermata
John Scofield
that "JACO" album with Jaco, Metheny, Paul Bley, and others...
Billy Cobham/George Duke Band
Chet Baker

dwill123 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwill123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2011 at 8:50pm
This is what I like and not just the same handful of bands.  There was much more that created the genre so let's here about them also.
Cannonball With Hat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cannonball With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2011 at 6:15pm

Near the top for me as well. Guess its because when I first got into many of these artists, it was from a prog point of view. At least things like Soft Machine and Brand X and such. Stuff like Weather Report i actually explored through the jazz side of things. Probably strange, but there you have it.

And this kind of fusion is much better to my ears than more modern fusion of today (like Niacin and the like). The 70s were indeed great for music.
Hit it on Five.

Saxophone Scatterbrain Blitzberg

Stab them in the ears.
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2011 at 4:12pm
I like the early fusion from 67-71, then the "classic" era from 72-74. After that, it's hit or miss (more hit than miss, until the late 70s)

but it's hard to really say, some artists/bands peaked at different times in this genre. Some didn't even start until around 72-74

From my experience, if it came out before 1979, it's almost guaranteed at least "good", and most times it's gold.

Edited by darkshade - 25 Apr 2011 at 4:15pm
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1967/ 1976 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2011 at 10:42am
I've listened "Stanley Clarke" and Jack DeJohnette "Sorcery"... Great albums! My reviews is on the way!
Prog Geo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog Geo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2011 at 9:51am
Nice album! Weather report are good! Also, no one has mentioned Soft machine. Classic band!
MarkFusion93 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarkFusion93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2011 at 9:36am
No mentions of Weather Report yet. I bought Heavy Weather recently. A fantastic album with great playing and a more mellow traditional Jazz approach then a lot of other Fusion
"The internet has given the people of the world a voice, and the world has chosen to use that voice to slander each other anonymously"

My body has gone. But my eyes remain. Hovering. Witnessing.
Prog Geo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog Geo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2011 at 5:57am
I think that maybe is my favorite jazz sub genre too. Of course it isn't pure jazz. But it is a good kind of music.

Edited by Prog Geo - 25 Apr 2011 at 5:57am
Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2011 at 5:46am
My favourite jazz genre though I understand why it may not be amongst the purists with a lot of stuff leaning more heavily towards the rock side. So much great stuff in the seventies.....
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2011 at 3:38am
Originally posted by js js wrote:

To a lot of jazz fans, fusion can have a certain excessiveness that is more similar to rock than jazz. I like early fusion, but I know a lot of my friends who were into Bop were not into it at all.
I'd tend to agree with you that I much prefer the 69 to 75 fusion than the later 70's as well...

For me Black Market and a few others albums in that genre marked a new much-slicker era than the previous rawer and more powerful stuff from yesteryears.
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2011 at 6:37pm
To a lot of jazz fans, fusion can have a certain excessiveness that is more similar to rock than jazz. I like early fusion, but I know a lot of my friends who were into Bop were not into it at all.
triceratopsoil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2011 at 6:32pm
I don't know, I see what he means.

It's due in part to musical cliches.

Edited by triceratopsoil - 24 Apr 2011 at 6:51pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic