JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Jazz Music Lounges >Jazz Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Don Ellis' Big Band Party

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Don Ellis' Big Band Party
    Posted: 15 Jul 2012 at 7:04am
A thread for appreciation of Don Ellis and his various bands - personally I have only a small number of his albums, and will definitely be getting more. I've read a few reviews of his albums here, which is great, going to grab the OST to the French Connection next I think.

Anyway, enough from me

Edited by dreadpirateroberts - 15 Jul 2012 at 10:20pm
We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
Reviews...
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2012 at 9:24am
I'm a big fan, which should be obvious as I have reviewed most of his albums. "Live at Monterrey" is one of his best.
He was much slandered by "critics" as being "gimmicky". His real importance in the development of fusion, jazz rock and world fusion, as well as all types of modern elements in big band jazz have been sort of swept aside because of this. I have read shallow critics like Eugene Chadbourne make ridiculous and misleading summaries of his career.

Elements of Don Ellis' early music, as well as a lot of the musicians he trained, will show up in: Frank Zappa, Billy Cobham, George Duke, Mahavishnu, King Crimson, Passport, Soft Macine, Milcho Leviev, Glen Ferris and so many more.

Edited by js - 15 Jul 2012 at 5:48pm
dreadpirateroberts View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2012 at 5:11pm
^ Yes, I've seen a lot of your reviews for Don and have added more than a few to my list - that Monterrey one is high up on the list yes indeed.

I've only read a little about him, but I get the same impression - an overlooked artist in need of more attention.  I was also interested to read about him asking for a modified trumpet, the extra valve for the quarter tone?
Reviews...
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2012 at 5:21pm
The notes between the notes Shocked        ...as Sun Ra would say. 
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2012 at 10:11pm
Widens the palette for the ear, but I'm still impressed with what he does with 3 too! Smile

Have you heard 'haiku' or 'soaring' ?   I'm really enjoying both - haiku appears to have a bit of a reputation of being a little syrupy (and it is at times I guess, but I don't mind at all) but I think it's a thematic triumph - especially when checking the haiku that he drew inspiration from.

Let's see if I can find an example

That's actually a promo bit for the edition I have, which is a nice edition.  Can't find the poetry yet, need the booklet in front of me and I'm at work, so I'll do it later.

Edited by dreadpirateroberts - 15 Jul 2012 at 10:12pm
Reviews...
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2012 at 10:15pm

One more, just heard this, love it
Reviews...
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2012 at 12:26am
I don't own "Haiku", but I was just listening to some samples, sounds nice to me.
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2012 at 8:35am
^ I'll try put up a review this weekend, it's a beautiful one I reckon. Of course, there's extra resonance for me, it being the first Don Ellis album I came across, and the link to the haiku (which I also like) Smile
Reviews...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic