JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements >Welcome newbies!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

On from PA

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2012 at 2:42pm
Not that I'm aware of.
Some musicians that have a strong reputation in Bop are Charlie Parker and Dizzy Gillespie.
For an earlier swing style you have Coleman Hawkins and Duke Ellington.
Personally I'll listen to a wide range of music, but I find that a lot of what those four did is always of high quality, but it may not be what you are looking for.
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dayvenkirq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2012 at 2:36pm
^ Yeah, I forgot to mention "Kind of Blue". I've heard that one almost twice in its entirety and wasn't impressed on any of those two listens. Maybe later it will come. I might check out Evans and Brubeck some time around today. Thanks for the suggestions. 

Are there any classic trad jazz albums that instantly clicked with anyone?

Edited by Dayvenkirq - 29 Jun 2012 at 2:36pm
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2012 at 2:08pm
I think some good melodic starter jazz albums might include:
"Kind of Blue" by Miles Davis, this is often a good starter record for new fans.
Albums by Bill Evans or Dave Brubeck might be a good place to start too.
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dayvenkirq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2012 at 1:42pm
Hi, everyone.

As some (well, few) of you already know by now, I'm a member of ProgArchives who joined the site a year and three months ago but started actively use it only nine months later. I've learned about JMA and its respective forum from the user The Truth on PA and thought: "Well, that's cool. A very similar jazz forum shaped by PA guys. Strangely, there are too few ratings and reviews for the classic jazz albums. Still, I might use it as a source for enriching my knowledge and improving my understanding of what jazz is all about (albeit I may get different answers)." Just like I started appreciating classical music with Chopin, I hope I will find my guy in jazz, my Chopin in jazz (that is, as the guy who has the same musical approach as Chopin did or, at least, a guy who can pave a path for me to the potential of jazz music). 

I have heard quite a few jazz-influenced pop- and rock- artists (namely Robert Wyatt, The Mahavishnu Orchestra, The Soft Machine, all of whom I deeply respect for their efforts and triumphs), but for right now I'm interested in the older, more "serious" stuff, the archetypal material. I've heard "In a Silent Way" and "Bi$%hes Brew" [shaking my head] from Davis, a bit from "The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady" from Mingus, some audio clips from Thelonius Monk on YouTube, and "A Love Supreme" from Coltrane, yet I still wonder what the fuss is all about around these records. I haven't stuck my ears out for anything by Ornette Coleman, though.

That said, could anyone please recommend me something, something accessible, preferably with piano or maybe even a trumpet (Davis' trumpet sounds really nice; I just wish he made sense to me on it), something that sounds ... hmm ... logical melodically, challenging, but not too challenging? Please, keep in mind, I came here as a pop and rock (and misc., hehe) listener but I really want to expand my experiential horizons and not just listen to jazz-rock.

Thank you! Goodbye [sticking out peace signs] ... br-rr-rr-rr-rr-rr.

P.S. Oh, btw, what would you recommend by Thelonius Monk? I see he's got a lot of albums that got only very few ratings, between 2 and 7 or something like that. I know "Brilliant Corners" is one of the items in this book "1001 Albums You Must Hear Before You Die", so I heard a few seconds from it and just stupidly deleted it. Is there a classic album (widely acknowledged) from him that needs a listen? Thank you.

Edited by Dayvenkirq - 29 Jun 2012 at 2:00pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic