JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Jazz Music Lounges >Jazz Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Stanley Clarke

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stanley Clarke
    Posted: 18 Jun 2012 at 8:21pm
Legendary jazz/fusion bassist. I only have the big 3 of his 70s fusion albums (s/t, Journey To Love, and School Days), and Toys of Men (2007), and they're all really good. Definitely worthy of addition to any jazz or fusion collection. Toys of Men is good, but not as good as the 70s albums, but the drummer on that one is incredibly technical, and Clarke really advanced in his playing over the last 35 years or so. He plays some ridiculous stuff on Toys of Men, the tune "Bad Asses" in particular shows why he is still one of the best bassists around, playing some intensely crazy slap-bass stuff.

I know some of his other stuff is hit or miss, but can anyone recommend another album to check out, if they're worth it?
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2012 at 8:28pm
I can't recommend anything of his because you have the same albums I have, but I do like his work on Buddy Terry's "Pure Dynamite", I have a review up if you want to check it out.
I would also recommend seeing him live, watching him man handle the acoustic bass is just incredible.
Kazuhiro View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazuhiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2012 at 8:29pm
I often heard Jazz Explosion Superband, but it was just bootleg.Tongue
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2012 at 8:39pm
What about his first album, "Children of Forever"? It's from '73, and is labeled Classic Fusion here. My local shop has had that album for ages, not sure if it's bad, or just no one knows anything about it haha.
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2012 at 9:22pm
I used to listen to that long ago, if I remember correctly, it sounds a bit like "Light as a Feather", I may still own it, but finding it could be a problem.
Back in the day, most folks who had the early RTF albums also had that Clarke album.
dreadpirateroberts View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2012 at 10:49pm
Thanks for this thread, Mike - I don't have any Stanley solo albums so this will be great for me to check thigns out, I reckon I'll start with his self titled
We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
Reviews...
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2012 at 3:28am
Originally posted by darkshade darkshade wrote:

What about his first album, "Children of Forever"? It's from '73, and is labeled Classic Fusion here. My local shop has had that album for ages, not sure if it's bad, or just no one knows anything about it haha.

You've own most of the main ones to get, IMHO... sure, the debut is probably my fave (but not necessarily his best)

As for discovering more, I always think it's wise to start with the first few, than proceed until you stop liking it.

I'd stop at Modern Man, but the follow-up (Play for You, I think) has its moments...
Avoid the early 80's album, IMHO... except for Griffiths Park

Don't know what the man's done since the mid-80's... I gather there are some good moments, but nobody's ever recommended me an album of that era

my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicted musicians to crazy ones....

darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2012 at 10:23am
I would love to see him live, either with RTF or some other band/solo.

I'll check the first album out. Sean Trane, Toys Of Men is good, a nice mix of modern jazz-fusion, prog-fusion, and some classical bass solo pieces. I recommend that one.
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2012 at 10:33am
I'll check out Toys Of Men, thanks ... they've got it at my library systemClap
my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicted musicians to crazy ones....

wideopenears View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wideopenears Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2012 at 1:44pm
s/t, Journey, and Schooldays are essential.
Live 1967-77 or whatever-it's called is great.  Recommended if you like the first three...
Toys of Men is good stuff, too.  Most recently, check out the Stanley Clarke Band album featuring Hiromi.  There's also the Stanley Clarke Trio, with Hiromi and Lenny, that's actually more straight-ahead.

Children of Forever is mostly (all?) acoustic, with Brasilian and more straight-ahead stuff, with some earlier fusion leanings.

If This Bass Could Only Talk has some good stuff.  Hideway is...meh.  Pretty smooth.

Recommend you avoid the Stanley Clarke Band album, the one with their version of Born in the USA on it.....also not a fan of the Clarke/Duke releases.  Also the studio stuff from the mid-70's, post Schooldays, is pretty meh....

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic